Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling length for distance. (Read 1286 times)
Spang
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Sling length for distance.
Oct 12th, 2020 at 10:03am

Hi, does anyone know whats the best length sling for distance? I mean is there a point where youv'e reached optimal length and you are not going to get any further by using a longer sling.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Sling length for distance.
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 10:50am

70 cm for a lanyard because it's the best length for the length of my arm.
So, I reach 80/100 meters with an underarm throwing.
But I'm not looking for distance.

IP Logged

Spang
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 11:13am

Im getting a 160g smooth beach stone about 110 metres with a 27inch balearic sling. A 100g stone about 170 metres with a 46 inch paracord sling. I then lengthened the paracord sling to 53 inches but couldnt throw any further. Im using a kind of helicopter/sidearm for all the throws.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 11:14am

How long is a piece of string? Cheesy
It can be very variable and personal to each person. It depends on a lot of factors: height, arm length, slinging style and probably more that we aren't even aware of. I would say experiment with different lengths. It's what I always say but I think it's the best way of finding what works for you.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 12:27pm

~90cm
I know that 1.2m doesnt feel as good as 90cm for me, don't know how it is in between

Edit:
with very thin cords it might be comfortable to get even longer than 90cm , havent experimented for a while.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 10:02pm

Kick wrote on Oct 12th, 2020 at 11:14am:
How long is a piece of string? Cheesy
It can be very variable and personal to each person. It depends on a lot of factors: height, arm length, slinging style and probably more that we aren't even aware of. I would say experiment with different lengths. It's what I always say but I think it's the best way of finding what works for you.

And the weight of the object being slung.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2020 at 2:07am

Also true.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 12:35pm

When I first started slinging I experimented with some crazy long slings.  Initially I did get more distance with them.  As my technique improved such long slings were unnecessary.  I found that my optimum sling length for distance or anything else is half my height.  Many but not all agree with this.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 1:59pm

Traditionally people will argue longer = better, up to the point where mass and air resistance of the cord become too much (this length can be increased by using thinner/lighter cords). This does seem to be backed up in the records.

Personally I throw most powerfully with the figure 8 technique which cannot be done with excessively long slings. My maximal distances are achieved with a 37'' paracord sling which is close to the limit for traditional techniques and my build (6ft tall).

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 2:40pm

It's definitely on a curve. My longest sling is I think still my one Tibetan sling which is ~126cm (it used to be 124cm but I just measured it now and it seems it's stretched) from retention loop to the centre of the pouch. It is NOT good for distance. It's very fun to use and it's not like it can't get any distance, but it just can't get the same distances as much shorter slings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy)