Send Topic Print
New Bow (Read 11236 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: New Bow
Reply #75 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:28pm

Unfortunately i just started cutting about 2 weeks ago. A little behind lol. But also comfortable with it, i have about 1 1/2 cords cut and split right now. I just purchased 2 1/2 cords. That will get me through 1/2 of winter, i will be cutting all wimterso i dont fall behind, and maybe get ahead of next year

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #76 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 10:07pm

Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #77 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 10:55am

Anyone still bowyering out there? Seems like this thread needs a revival of sorts.

So I have 3 bows in various stages of completion and going to start on the poplar board bow while I wait for the various things for the other bows to complete them. One is shooting the other two are at floor tiller.

Anyone else working on them?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #78 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 7:29pm

I still have that one I started with a pine 2X4.  I keep planning to get back to it, but never actually do.  Now that the weather has started making its turn, I should have some indoor time to put toward it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 9:11pm

Nothing like the coming of winter to give you the incentive to start carving some wood. For me it just means my garage isnt 95 degrees.

A pine 2x4? Man so you really want a challenge huh?? If you can make a decent bow out of that you can do anything.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #80 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 10:06pm

I have a piece of linen I'm going to back it with.  Wouldn't even attempt it without that.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #81 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 6:50pm

Yeah linen is some good stuff. You know  just for the hell of it I wonder how good a pine board thats backed with anything decent could work? Is there a limit to how good it would be or could one potentially make a hard hitting, fast, hunting weight bow from it?

I mean...could you not just cut out a 2x4, sinew back it and potentially make a decent bow? How wild would that be? Imagine killing a deer with a pine fence panel?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #82 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 10:36pm

I can't say it would be impossible.  With a good backing, any tension issues with the wood should be taken care of.  I'm not sure how pine holds up on the compression side.  The plan for the stud I'm working on was always just to try to keep it over 30 lb @ 28".

This is getting my interest picked back up.  I need to get that thing back in the stave press and start cutting away at it again.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #83 - Oct 30th, 2022 at 9:28am

I got my poplar board sitting in the vise right now Joe. It might be that time.  Just saying...    Wink

We also need Walter and Slyngorm and whoever else we can guilt trip into joining us. For those reading, you dont have to start out with a full size bow. Ive seen entire bow building threads just devoted to building mini bows 6 inches long. The beauty is in the act of creating. Grab a stick and start carving!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2022 at 5:29pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #84 - Nov 1st, 2022 at 4:33pm

Funny you should mention mini bows, Morphy.
Just today at work, a coworker asked me if I could make a bow for someone's 5 year old son.
He even offered to pay me!
What would be the correct size for such a guy? Maybe a 50cm bow with arrows with cork stoppers at the tip?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #85 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 11:16am

For a 5 year old I would go with something like a 100-150 cm bow. Maybe drawing 5lbs max with double nocks so the weight can be raised slightly by using the inner nocks seeing as the little guy would be growing fairly quick.

Once he outgrows the inner nocks you can simply pike it and cut in two more sets of nocks and the bow  will live on.

I would also make a 3 strand braided fishing line braid the length of his intended draw and attach one end to the riser the other end to the bow string. This will make it impossible to pull that thing back just as far as he can and snap it. Kids are prone to this with wood bows, especially boys who at that age have more energy than common sense.  Wink

You can find safety tips for arrows. Youll need to find some really light shafts though. Cork might work but I assume it would break down fairly quick. Soft, thick rubber would be my first choice.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #86 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 2:28pm

I don’t follow your description of the nooks

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #87 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 5:55am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 2:28pm:
I don’t follow your description of the nooks

Instead of cutting in just one pair of nocks on the bow you can cut in a second pair about an inch below the original on each tip. When the bow is strung on the inner nocks it will gain a little weight so the child can increase the weight of the bow without having to use an entirely new bow.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #88 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 12:09pm

That makes sense. Just cut down a stave today. So that mini bow is here before long.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #89 - Nov 21st, 2022 at 12:21pm

Forgot how easy, fun and fast it is to make regular bows 😁
Chose to make it 100 cm. The outer limbs still need some trimming, as narrow as possible and maybe a bit thinner, and the second pair of nooks. But perhaps they should be bypassed, considering its size?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)