Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
New Bow (Read 11248 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: New Bow
Reply #30 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 9:30pm

LOL, at an average price of $60, I would just hang that osage stave on the wall Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #31 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 3:45am

I got big birch quarters logs cut up. Big enough u can get 2 or 3 bows per piece. If anyone is in the area. U can have some.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:13pm

walter wrote on Jan 4th, 2021 at 9:30pm:
LOL, at an average price of $60, I would just hang that osage stave on the wall Cheesy

I feel the same way about Yew.

Hardwood Lumber yards my good men. Hardwood lumber yards. Get yourself enough hickory or shoot any other wood for practically nothing.  Even without a truck just make a trip and have them cut you a 20ft board of hickory into 6 ft sections. You'll have enough for  what... 8 bows at least depending on style.

And hickory is king in Arizona Walter. You'll like it I bet.  Cheesy

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 5:41pm

I wiil probably buy a hickory stick on the net asap, but inspired by how well the last bow shoots and how little set it took, I started another red oak bow a couple days ago. This one is 68" n-n, 1 3/4" wide at fades to 3/8" at tips and I am trapping the back. Have one limb trapped 7° . Hope to get the other limb trapped and tips reflexed this weekend. Hoping for less than 1 1/2" set.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Overpowered compression is definitely a contributing factor of set.  Have you tried tempering the belly yet?

If I make a bamboo backed poplar bow instead of sinew backed which has been a consideration,  I've considered doing a very heavy trapping to see if I can force it to work. I suspect the boo will crush it like a tin can either way lol. Still worth a shot.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 8:31pm

Yes I have heat treated a couple of bows. One caught on fire Embarrassed The other not cooked enough. Trapping may be a saner approach. The ifs, what ifs and whys are what makes bowyering so interesting    Huh
Hope you post the results of your experiment.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:15am

I learned a lot from this video about bowbuilding even though I don't have osage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3v8mvqR8DU

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 8:30pm

walter wrote on Jan 5th, 2021 at 8:31pm:
Yes I have heat treated a couple of bows. One caught on fire Embarrassed The other not cooked enough. Trapping may be a saner approach. The ifs, what ifs and whys are what makes bowyering so interesting    Huh
Hope you post the results of your experiment.

I like to keep s’more ingredients sitting by in case things go bad. S’mores for white woods, craft beer for Osage and Crown Royal if I burned a Yew stave. Obviously the worse the screw up the higher the shelf.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:21pm

I sorta finished my first bow today.
Corners were cut during the process but I have tested it and it definitely works even if only ineffectively. It was stripped of its bark and seasoned for a month. I never really cut a profile, only tillered it a bit so it still is round but I strung it and it's not too bad.

Any advice to do now? I have pulled on it a couple of times to break it.
Should I use a weight or stick to leave the bow bend like you
@
walter does?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 10:40pm

@
Slyngorm

No, you should not draw a bow past brace and hold it there for more thana second or two because that will strain the bow and induce excessive set, which will lower poundage at your draw length.  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #40 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 4:11pm

Duly noted. How much should I pull it? At the moment it seems too tight for me to launch an arrow very far but that might also be due to much underdeveloped arrow holding muscles.

When I draw back the first few centimetres are really dull but then it suddenly gets VERY resistant.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:21pm

I'm editing this comment because I misread the previous post.

A low early draw weight is usually indicative of deflex or set depending on what's going on. While a lot is bad a little is normal especially for newer bowyers. It robs bows of efficiency but a little set like 1/2 " is sometimes a sign of a bow that's not over built so that's good though to determine that one needs a bit of practice and experience. Still good though as virtually no one by themselves starts out building very low set bows. It's a process.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 10:09am

Morphy wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:21pm:
good though to determine that one needs a bit of practice and experience

That is probably the best advice there is.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:41pm

Red oK 68.5" n-n pyramid. Back is trapped. Heat treated. One and a half inches permanant set. Forty four lbs @ 27".

20210321_163829.jpg (6591 KB | 51 )
20210321_163829.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 2:44am

Thats so awesome..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)