Send Topic Print
Moving metal (Read 3363 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Moving metal
Sep 18th, 2020 at 4:57pm

I got a new forge. This runs on propane.  I still got the old coal forge, but its a 2 person job. Lol. Untill i get better at it. I haven't done any forge  work since i moved to maine. It felt AMAZING. Now the metal i have are old files, and the ones in the pics are verry old leaf springs from vehicles ( which  2 are still in the woods being reclaimed by nature) and a collapsed cabin we found on my land. The pieces are about 1/4 inch thick, so it takes awhile, but not near as long with coal. But i will be spending alot more time forging knives, and  learning how to do other tools

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Moving metal
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 5:32pm

Awesome! I would love to try forging but I already have a million hobbies and projects and absolutely zero space to set up a forge. Maybe one day.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 4:56am

Its such a great hobby. Moving  metal. It actually doesnt take up much room at all. I was doinf it for a few years before my move. Thats been 2 years sinnce i was able to do any kind of work.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:13am

A handy skill to have for sure.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 1:43pm

Trying to be self sufficient, plus i can say i am a knife maker  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 1:59pm

Looking forward to seeing some of your new creations!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2020 at 7:48pm

I've done some simple forging.  I use charcoal, a blow dryer for an air supply and it's set up in one of the cheap grills from Wally World.  My anvil was made years ago by a friend in a  welding class he took.  It's basically layers of mild steel welded together that were welded to the top of a piece of railroad iron.  My quench tank is a piece of PVC pipe I stood up and filled with the peanut oil left over after we finished cooking turkeys. 

And it is a lot of fun.  Just something primal and manly about beating on red hot steel.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 9:09am

Well i got a nice knife design based off of out mountain men and west fur trader time. Unfortunately not much time to do much before it gets too cold for winter. But i will be trying to squeeze in as much forge time as possible. 

@Bill,  i have only ever made knives. But i was working on a diy forge. Then drooped that due to been given a 1907 coal forge. But after alot of practice, i reait was a 2 person job due to the manual blower. Lol. My anvil is 2 pieces of railroad.  One was given to me by my grandfather,  other by a friend in NJ who works for the local rail yard.. i ended up getting both welded together.  I just use roasting pans from Walmart.  My mentor got me into using canola oil, due to. Having to do my temper in the kitchen oven.  I wont get into much trouble due to it smelling like i was baking cookies. After all these years,  my gf hasnt complained about that. I have such a blast doing it. Even though i cant do it for long periods of time, due to old injuries.  But i try to get some done now whenever possible

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 1:16pm

Huh, I never thought of how the oil might smell.  And I use my oven, too.  I guess I dodged a bullet I didn't even know was coming.    Grin

My most recent was a recreation of a Tlingit war knife with double ends.   Not one of the ones with a carved hilt or totem on the end, I consider those religious, so I don't try to copy them. 

Anyways, it was pretty basic with a median ridge and a concave belly with a wooden handle wrapped in cord.  I have to get some leather strips, apparently, before fighting, a warrior would use the straps to tie the knife to his hand.

It's not sharp, I plan to use it in classes and demonstrations about the Native Americans and that they did use metal prior to European contact.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 9:21am

Hopefully i was able to spare your life.  Grin. It was number 1 rule i learned for knifemaking

I had to research that..  style. Thats impressive.  U should really show it off here when your done

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 8:13am

well let me know when you're on 'forged in fire' Smiley

That looks like the forges they use on the program.
Awesome Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:28pm

I would if i ever get goood enough. Maybe check back in 10years. Lol.

I ended up picking it up off ebay brand new, under $175.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:27am

Here are some progress pics. I am working on some Hudson Bay style knives. These are made from old leaf springs. That were 1/4 inch thick, i hammered thinner by maybe 10%. Not too sure. The overall length is 12in. Handle is 5 inch long. Blade is 7inch long.i have 4 in the works, but 2 are almost done. Other 2are in various stages due to handle material NOT working out in my favor.  Grin lots of blood, sweat and tears went into these. Lighter color handle is Cherry,  daeker is Walnut. Really dark in Ironwood, but had issues with is cracking so those went 'bye bye' and in a mood of frustration,  ALL  of my ironwood turned into firewood in the wood stove Angry lol.  Iam a huge fan of the 1800s to 1880s fur trade movement out west.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:28am

When all finished, and sheaths are made. I will have better pics

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 7:50am

Once those are all polished up they are going to be purty.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)