I will definitely bekeeping u posted

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Moving metal
Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 7:06am

UPDATE. it looks like my 2nd buyer bailed out last night. There will be 2 available.  I will know by  this weekend which ones will be available. I will keep it posted.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #32 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 3:16pm

Vet, I'm curious, how did you heat treat the edge? I've tried (1) a full quench, grinding smooth, then putting into the oven to get it to a light yellow color, (2) a full quench then keeping the edge in water while heating the back with a torch and (3) just quenching the edge.  I never did too much testing to see what worked the best in terms of retaining the edge hardness. Just wondering if you have.

Edit: This is with using old leaf springs as well.

John R.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #33 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 9:18am

I had no experience, but was taught by a knife maker, (learned through his mistakes) who became my mentor. He has 25+ years of experience just working in his backyard.  Now i usually just do this with all my knives, no matter the steel. But i tend to just use recycled materials. But i only use cooking oil, but i did all my tempering in the kitchen oven when i lived in NJ.  u need to heat up the oil to roughly 125°,  using water, and even cold water is asking for a catastrophic failure within the knife. which i just used some scrape steel to heat it up, and keep a thermometer in it. As you quench it, i tend to move the knife around in the oil for about 30 seconds,  just because of the chance of cooler spots of oil, and there can be small pockets with possibility of popping oil. I like to make the 'harmon' lines, harder edge, softer spine. I usually dip the knife just to cover the edge, to the tang is submerged in oil, then hold it for 30 seconds. I dont mess with torches. You can do mutiple quenches if you are not happy with it. I wouldnt do more then 3 or 4. But i did have a buddy who with bad luck while he was learning. He had to quench a 10 times. Lol. Due to warping. But i believe the knife is still in service. 

Hopefully i was able to help. Its usually easer for me to write out my whole proces. My thought pprocess is pretty out there.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 7:51am

on a slight tangent - I just discovered (last night) that forged in fore has several sister programs.
watched the first two 'beat the judges' episodes last night.

Might have a look at one of the other spin offs tonight.

FIF is one of my favourite tv programs.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #35 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 8:24am

I seen the one that had the obstacle course with host Bill Goldberg ( wrestler, actor) the knifesmiths had to male a knife at home, then bring it in, and they tested it in a obstacle course. I only seen 2 episodes.  Before i moved. I didn't like it, but i am a fan of Goldberg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man)