Send Topic Print
Just joined (Read 2259 times)
SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Just joined
Sep 8th, 2020 at 2:28pm

Hello all.  I've recently decided to try to get back into slinging.  I'm not sure to what extent yet, but, I do have an interest in it.  I braided my first fully braided sling yesterday with some crap plastic twine I had available as some practice for when I have some jute.  I used a video on YouTube from Tyler Danger, but I feel like it's a little too short for my personal preference.  At least I learned on something I don't plan on using Smiley

I do believe I've watched every YouTube video about slinging (except for Practical Paracord a videos, there's too many there lol).  It's a bit sad that there's not very many videos at all.  The only actually active person in slinging on YouTube seems to be Practical Paracord.  I did notice that many of the instructional videos aren't entirely helpful.  So many people don't seem to understand that crisscrossing across the front of your body over and over again is not what the figure 8 method is.  But then again, I'm not good enough to make my own channel that corrects those lol.  I do know that whatever works accurately for each individual person is generally a good method for them, so I'm not knocking it Smiley

I know this doesn't need to be known, but I wanted to put it out there that I am transgender.  That's my main reason for my new account (old account was under my old name). I'm not here to be political about it because that's not what slinging is.  The only reason I mention it is that I have some of my trans sisters who are interested in trying to learn.  The cool thing about slings, is that if done in cool colors, you can wrap them around your wrist as a neat looking bracelet that nobody knows is actually a sling.  So as a transgender person, a "fashionable" self defense weapon could actually be pretty handy.  I'll include some pictures of the split pouch plastic twine "bracelet" I made yesterday as an example.  Seeing those pictures is what got my friends interested after all Smiley

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and provide a brief reintroduction of myself and my renewed interest.  Hope everyone is having a decent end to their summer.

Sling Safe!
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:16am by Rat Man »  

Sling.jpg (151 KB | 21 )
Sling.jpg

IP Logged

SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Re: Just joined
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 2:29pm

Here it is as a bracelet Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:21am by Rat Man »  

Bracelet.jpg (122 KB | 21 )
Bracelet.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 2:37pm

Welcome from Finland! I saw checked the photo before reading your post and was going to say it looks a little short to me Cheesy That's the good thing with making slings though, you can experiment and find what works. Also, Trans Rights Are Human Rights! Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:20am by Rat Man »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 3:07pm

Thanks for the welcome!  Making this one was definitely an experiment for sure.  Even though it's short, I didn't use proper materials knowing I likely wouldn't really use it.  So it was a good learning experience Smiley. My previous experience was mostly using cloth style pouches with various materials tied to the ends.  I did make one paracord sling with a badly woven pouch that was decent to throw.  But I do think braiding is going to be my preferred method from here on out.  I think next I'll try a better split pocket, and then maybe a woven style after that.  Who knows though, maybe I'll try this one and find I am more accurate and prefer short slings Smiley

Thanks for your last sentence as well!  While I do wish more people felt that way, unfortunately the area where I live is a bit "old fashioned".  At least I may have friends who will take up this hobby and still have a good time slinging with those who accept me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 4:15pm

Welcome from Pennsylvania!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:06pm

SlingingBri wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 2:28pm:
It's a bit sad that there's not very many videos at all.

I agree. Though Joe (see above) and others have helped out a lot with that problem lately.

Personally, I love braided and woven pouches, they are fun to make and there is some pride in using something that you made yourself that took a good chunk of time to make.

Welcome from California!

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:58pm

Welcome to the forum!!

I recently posted my first YouTube video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=sVjhhIXaDjw

Also come join in on the pumpkin challenge in the sport section of the forum!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 12:42am

Mersa - you have an actual figure 8 the way it's supposed to be! Smiley. It's cool to see those in motion, and they are pretty accurate for me as well.  I've never filmed anything, but I do have a "sports" camara now so I may have to try it!

Thanks to everyone else for the welcome!

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:22am

Howdy from North texas.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 2:19am

Whoops forgot to plug my YouTube channel too Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCooqXB4WzYoW0YXasYIvEaQ/featured?disable_polyme...

The weather is finally decent so expect a nail challenge video up soon!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 6:04am

Hello Greenjay!  If you're from north Texas than you're not too horribly far from me in OKC.  Maybe you could go to your side of the Red River, I'll go to mine, we'll get some river rocks and see if one of us can sling to the other side first Cheesy

@Kick thanks for the channel link!  You definitely have a LOT of videos I'll have to check out Smiley  Mersa has a long way to go to catch up to you lol

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 11:07am

Howdy from South Texas!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 4:25pm

SlingingBri "Hello Greenjay!  If you're from north Texas than you're not too horribly far from me in OKC.  Maybe you could go to your side of the Red River, I'll go to mine, we'll get some river rocks and see if one of us can sling to the other side first "

I wish I could,but unfortunately I don't have a car,and the red river is a bit too far to bike to in one day.

GJ
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2020 at 10:12pm by Greenjay »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 7:44pm

You know Bri, I was thinking about how you mentioned slings for self defense, and I have some concerns.  If you’re serious about self defense, and if you feel as though you may need to defend yourself... I would recommend something other than slings. There are very few situations where a sling would be both appropriate and effective. It’s not really good for close quarters, and at longer distances where a sling would be effective, running away would be the preferred option.
As a hobby, slings are awesome, but I would never personally want to bet my life or that of someone I love on my ability to stop an attacker with one.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SlingingBri
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Oklahoma City Area
Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 6:38am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 7:44pm:
You know Bri, I was thinking about how you mentioned slings for self defense, and I have some concerns.  If you’re serious about self defense, and if you feel as though you may need to defend yourself... I would recommend something other than slings. There are very few situations where a sling would be both appropriate and effective. It’s not really good for close quarters, and at longer distances where a sling would be effective, running away would be the preferred option.
As a hobby, slings are awesome, but I would never personally want to bet my life or that of someone I love on my ability to stop an attacker with one.

I have a carry weapon since my state now says you don't have to have a license to carry, but just saying in a pinch, they may be better than nothing at all.  But I agree, definitely not something I'd rely on.  Though it would be kinda cool to be on the news as the first person in about 1000 years to disable an attacker with a sling Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)