Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Pumpkin Challenge! (Prize included) (Read 15271 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Pumpkin Challenge! (Prize included)
Reply #60 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 11:10am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 26th, 2020 at 1:38am:
Awesome IG!  Great slinging!

All these entries are flying in.  It's great, but making me anxious.  Mine's going to be a little while yet.  It's going to take some time to do what I'm planning.  And basically hope that everything works out. Cheesy

Don't be anxious! It's for fun, entertainment. Nothing to lose. Besides, not a single one of your videos has been a disappointment.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #61 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:04pm

Thanks man!  I just meant anxious to get my entry ready and posted.  I love the number of people joining in on this one.  It makes it truly exciting!

I think Mersa said it perfectly.

Mersa wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 10:04pm:
This is the best online challenge yet , no questions asked!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #62 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 12:39pm

It's been fantastic seeing these entries. I do somewhat regret getting mine done so quick. Now I'm thinking of different things I could have done with mine... I might need to make another one. My original video is my entry but doing another one could be fun Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #63 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 12:33pm

@ig - there is NOTHING safe about jaegoors rusty balls (snigger). What you basically haver there is what's known as a 'sap'. Usually a leather pouch filled with either sand or lead shot. It's illegal to carry one in most countries in the world.
And instead of hitting someone with it - you're launching it at high velocity from a sling !

They do have a single redeeming factor. they do not bounce.

But never sling one at any living thing, they are totally lethal.

Good shooting !

If you turn your body a bit more to the right before throwing you'll hit more. You're just pulling slightly to the left - looks mainly because you start to front on to the target.
Always an issue with a sidearm throw Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #64 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 1:04pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 27th, 2020 at 12:33pm:
@ig - there is NOTHING safe about jaegoors rusty balls (snigger). What you basically haver there is what's known as a 'sap'. Usually a leather pouch filled with either sand or lead shot. It's illegal to carry one in most countries in the world.
And instead of hitting someone with it - you're launching it at high velocity from a sling !

They do have a single redeeming factor. they do not bounce.

But never sling one at any living thing, they are totally lethal.

Good shooting !

If you turn your body a bit more to the right before throwing you'll hit more. You're just pulling slightly to the left - looks mainly because you start to front on to the target.
Always an issue with a sidearm throw Smiley

Oh, I agree. No one in their right mind would launch one of these at another person/animal without the direct intention to cause harm. And never should.  They are certainly better in that they don't bounce and don't roll too far on a miss (compared to a stone/ball). But that being said, a strike from a rusty ball might cause contusions, broken bones, possibly hemorraging, but likely not missing flesh like a stone would.  The only reason I'm bringing this up is that I've given a lot of thought to what would happen if I accidentally missed when practicing and hit someone somehow (ricochet or roll-away, etc.). A ricochet, or strike from a rusty ball would be much better for some poor bystander than a ricochet or roll away from a stone. Not that this has ever come close to happening, but I'm always cognizant of it.

I was watching Sarosh's form some more on youtube. I think he's got probably the best form of anyone I've seen, he uses his body like a baseball pitcher.  I'm going to try and imitate. I don't know when I started to crouch before throwing, but It just feels weird now if I don't.

Are you suggesting that I turn AWAY from the target more when lining up?
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2020 at 10:33pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #65 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 3:03pm

IronGoober wrote on Sep 25th, 2020 at 6:12pm:
Here is my entry. 

https://youtu.be/T-fIUb-66zw

Nice slinging IG!  And way to go with being a slinging ambassador for the next generation of slingers too!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #66 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 6:43am

Quote:
Are you suggesting that I turn AWAY from the target more when lining up?

yep, well kind of, but not really. Smiley

I need to look at your feet too....

Stance is actually pretty good.

The only thing I can see is that you tend to start turning your body a fraction before you start the actual throw.
So on release you arm has actually started on the follow through, which will pull the throw slightly to the left.

I mean this is nit picking on the micro level here Smiley
That's a damn small target and you were extremely close on every throw.   

A little practice on  a balearic target and I doubt you'd miss much.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #67 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 9:16am

IG was far more accurate than I was with the staff sling or the hand sling Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #68 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 10:27am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 6:43am:
A little practice on  a balearic target and I doubt you'd miss much.

Cheesy I've had so much practice on one recently... lol

But I  can't seem to score better than an 8 (maybe I did 9 one time, my diana is a tad too small), but 5 is probably my average. Sad 

Kick wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 9:16am:
IG was far more accurate than I was with the staff sling or the hand sling

Editing, my good sir! I was out there for at least an hour with stones. I'm still sore from it, haha. All of my balearic target practice with uniform ammo has made going back to stones a bit of a readjustment.

And thanks everybody. I still think that NOC has the lead though, that was too dang entertaining.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #69 - Sep 28th, 2020 at 11:18am

IronGoober wrote on Sep 28th, 2020 at 10:27am:
I still think that NOC has the lead though, that was too dang entertaining.

Yeah I have to agree. Next year I'm going to hold off and see what I need to beat rather than rushing out a video just to get it done Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #70 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 7:17am

Yeah, wiley e coyote is alive and well and living in texas Smiley

The only thing missing was the 'Acme' stamp on the bricks Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #71 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 6:57pm

It's time for another entry!

https://youtu.be/Y-ZCJO0AuqY

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #72 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:28pm

Nice Joe! Again, as I usually say aloud when I see your videos, 'Yeah boi!'. I saw that you posted and saved it until I got home so I could savor the pumpkin flavor.

First, nice slinging!  I love the one where you hit it, picked it up, and hit it again. The coward! LOL. I loved that. For some reason, I never realized how much of a hill you are on. I think my brain just automatically assumed that the camera was just a bit tilted. That must make your stance a bit more challenging.

Second, those stones must be heavy. Dang, they pack some punch, the whole pumpkin practically fractured all around the circumference. 

I wish I knew my beers, I don't, but I know it was something pumpkin-y!

Another triumph!

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #73 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 11:21pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Oct 5th, 2020 at 6:57pm:
It's time for another entry!

https://youtu.be/Y-ZCJO0AuqY

Love it!  Clearly that magical shirt made all the difference. Smiley

The B-roll footage was great too! My wife never watches slinging videos but you had her laughing and commenting on the pumpkin damage after each session... and then when I paused the video to go check on one of my kids, she wouldn’t let me finish watching it until she was ready too. 

Good slinging. God production quality. And excellent fashion sense! 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #74 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 2:30am

IronGoober wrote on Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:28pm:
The coward!

Can't blame the poor guy. If I had stones that big flying at me I would run too Cheesy

Fantastic video as always Joe! I would love to see you in Mallorca at the next international (whenever it's allowed to happen), but only if you're on Team Finnlandia  Wink You were getting heavy hits on that pumpkin.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)