Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Things a Karen might say to a slinger... (Read 1911 times)
darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Things a Karen might say to a slinger...
Aug 26th, 2020 at 3:55pm

Ive been slinging for over 15 years on and off, today a comment was made at me that kinda annoyed me from a karen today :

"David and Goliath? i think David was meant to be little."
Basically suggesting i shouldnt be doing slinging as im an adult and not a child/adolescent lol

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Things a Karen might say to a slinger...
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 10:06am

A rock across the broadside will keep em quiet.

DISCLAIMER DO NOT SLING AT PEOPLE THIS IS A JOKE. (Best be safe...)

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 5:47pm

My goodness, what did she think you were doing, Old Testament cosplay? Roll Eyes

*sigh* They will never understand. At least it's better than getting the cops called on ya..., I sometimes imagine someone might think I'm a complete nutcase and alert the fuzz. I usually sling in a pretty isolated spot, so I'm not usually too worried though.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 6:18am

Give my baby your sling. He needs it as he is far better than you.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 8:51am

Captain_Twine wrote on Aug 27th, 2020 at 5:47pm:
At least it's better than getting the cops called on ya

Definitely this.

I think this is one of the modern perceptions of the sling, that it's more of a toy than a weapon.  Which is good in that it's not seen as threatening.  But on the other side it doesn't always get the respect it deserves.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 12:38pm

'karen' ?

Did you perhaps use a rude word ? I haven't looked at the swearing substitution table for a while - but can't recall 'karen' whistle

And the answer is: 'david was a normal sized bloke in his early 20's - goliath was a giant.'

The comment 'thought david was supposed to be little' only really applies when you're talking to people like Luis pons, or diego or david.
You know, really tall bastards Smiley

Okay - not  a substitution - so what's a 'karen'  ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 2:17pm

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 4:32pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 12:38pm:
'karen' ?

Okay - not  a substitution - so what's a 'karen'  ?

It is a name that millennials  thought  decided to use to call someone who acts foolishly.  Instead of using curse words, or bad names.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:27pm

vetryan15 wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 4:32pm:
It is a name that millennials  thought  decided to use to call someone who acts foolishly.  Instead of using curse words, or bad names.

I would say it's more specific than that though. The urban dictionary definition is pretty much spot on I would say.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 12:46pm

I believe the stereotype revolves mostly around themes of ignorance, a bad attitude, and throwing around one's weight/white privilege. I think it is often applied unfairly to women who are merely advocating or sticking up for themselves, but sometimes people are just rude.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 10:39pm

The term “Karen” specifically refers to white know-it-all women with a chip on their respective shoulders. If you think about it even a little bit, you will realize that the term is actually quite offensive and bigoted in the way it establishes strong negative racial and gender stereotypes.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 10:26am

I agree - Perhaps rudeness should be met with a response other than generalization. Many aspects of the "Karen" stereotype are perfectly innocent and do not follow logically from one another. If a "Karen" is a privileged white know-it-all with short blond hair, square glasses and a bad attitude who asks for your manager, how many women really share ALL of those qualities? How can you deduce rudeness and privilege from blond hair and assertiveness? Their association is the work of conflation, and thus the trope has the effect of denigrating any woman who asserts herself.

This has very quickly evolved into a deep social discussion. Grin

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:25pm

Means B****.   Angry 

But it does't get tagged as profanity on most browsers.   Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:45pm

Simple:

"Excuse me sir what are you doing?"

"I'm minding by damn business what about you?"

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 6:43am

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:43am by a »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)