Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK! (Read 7720 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK!
Reply #45 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:47am

Whaouh, a warrior with these sticks must be very impressive.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #46 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:59am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:47am:
Whaouh, a warrior with these sticks must be very impressive.

Yes, I imagine he'd be very intimidating. Polynesian weapons tend to be very scary looking things. I train with them, but I'm no expert.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #47 - Nov 4th, 2020 at 2:24pm

Most of these videos look kinda flashy...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #48 - Nov 4th, 2020 at 2:35pm

A lot of stick fighting I think is shown to be flashy to get people to sign up to their club or buy their videos Cheesy When it comes down to it, a stick is a stick. It goes bonk.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #49 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 5:25pm

Kick wrote on Nov 4th, 2020 at 2:35pm:
a stick is a stick. It goes bonk.

Yeah, but the over the top arm movements only helps to open yourself to your opponent and makes you spend twice the time making a strike. In the end it looks silly.

Reminds me of my first time watching Akademia Szermierzy (HEMA, sword fighting). After a lifetime of watching theatre sword fights the real deal looked so weird but was actually really simple and logical and all together was so much more awesome.
In that nerve, I haven't been able to take lightsaber fights from the prequels seriously after "Star Wars: The (Totally) Phantom Menace"

Here are some quarterstaff sparring rounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjsHE5p2vs&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uja1TNNNko4

As the second videos notes, due to the nature of the quarterstaff the fights focus on showing your opponent’s staff out of the way instead of hitting him/her but it definitely looks more meaningful.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2020 at 2:41am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #50 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 1:36am

The various HEMA practitioners of YouTube have ruined my ability to watch a movie sword fight and find it satisfactory Cheesy Most forms of fighting are far quicker and direct than shown in media.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #51 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 3:39am

Polynesian martial arts were mostly about sticks and stones. There is an account of an argument over effectiveness in WW1 between the Māori Battalion and the English which saw a Maori soldier take the end off a broom and beat the fencing master with it.

Another account much earlier in time of a 60+ year old warchief going down on one knee when confronted by an Officer with a sword, and realising with sadness that the officer was going to attack him solo instead of waiting for help. After killing the officer he was sad that the poor chap had no idea how invulnerable he was in that fighting stance and there's no glory in such an easy kill.

They're very fast, very focused moves with the defense within the moves rather than separate offense and defence. Had to be, they had no effective armour and one hit would probably cripple or kill. So it's not random swinging.

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Reply #52 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 5:57am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 6th, 2020 at 3:18pm:
   There's a Folk Song about shillelaghs and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.  The gist of the song is that a young man and his cousin are walking along minding their own business.  It might be Christmas or the cousin's birthday or both.    They pass by a recruiting sergeant and a drummer boy.  The sergeant  starts giving them a hard time about being slackers and it ends up in a fight with the sergeant and drummer boy using rusty old sabers and the young man and his cousin using shillelaghs.  The sergeant and drummer boy get the crap beat out of them  and that's how the song ends.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g

cracking tune, its a traditional folk song. Even Bob Dylan has a version of it floating around somewhere

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #53 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 12:16pm

Polynesians are scary dudes. You couldn't pay me enough to stick fight them. However, I will challenge you all to a game of ping pong and do some whooping up though.  Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #54 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 12:52am

Picked up a “premium” cedar 2x4, cut it in half longwise, and I’ve been rounding the pieces by hand with a rasp into quarterstaff-ish poles. I’ll post pics once I get one sanded and stained.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)