Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK! (Read 7587 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: The most archaic of the archaic.....THE STICK!
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 8:45am

Mersa wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:04pm:
Indigenous Australians make a very good case for throwing sticks, boomerangs and alike, they’re able to take out animals like kangaroos with neck breaking throws. Not just a small game weapon in trained hands

That’s pretty amazing  Cheesy

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Progress, not perfection.

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 11:17am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:36pm:
If I hit someone with a stick, the charges will be assault with a deadly weapon, whether it's a skinny stick or a thick stick.  So, I might as well use a thicker stick and be the person who has to hire a lawyer to avoid jail. 

Instead of hitting them with a skinny stick and ending up looking like a lollipop with a stick jammed up my butt.

Grin Nice visual.

Kick wrote on Aug 10th, 2020 at 3:21am:
Considering he is just one guy that does all the filming and editing himself, I truly believe he's one of the best YouTubers currently for sheer quality. It's a bonus that I find his content interesting as well  He was really into making bows and traditional archery, but, due to injury, he's had to stop. Those older videos are really informative all the same.

That is really amazing. I will have to review this video later in more depth. I'm working on a walking stick as well, a far cry from the quality this man creates. I need a few worthwhile hints.

May you be safe, be happy, be healthy, and live with ease.

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 11:06am

So I recently found another interesting stick style on youtube (and some reading material on amazon), the Bonafont stick/ cane style. They appear to launch a lot of strikes from an "ice pick" or reverse grip, which is kind of unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7YUtrXG4g8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAevJryO2JM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PXl-AiQUY

I like the theatrics of the third video.  Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:20pm

Hmmmmm... I'm not all that convinced. The ice pick grip reduces your reach, one of the most important aspects of using a stick as a weapon imo. If someone means you harm, the safest place to be is away from them which you can ensure by pointing a stick towards them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Central Minnesota, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 3:16pm

Kick wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:20pm:
Hmmmmm... I'm not all that convinced. The ice pick grip reduces your reach, one of the most important aspects of using a stick as a weapon imo. If someone means you harm, the safest place to be is away from them which you can ensure by pointing a stick towards them.

I hear you. It does seem to negate the plus point of having a longer weapon (that is, longer than a fist or knife). From what little bit I have read on it so far, it appears to come from an assumption that the attacker will intend to close to a clinching range very quickly, and will likely succeed in doing it before you can respond. It also appears to assume that you will be holding the cane as one normally would for walking (at the knob or handle on the end), and the rapid attack of the aggressor will not allow you to switch grips and extend the point of the weapon in their direction. It's certainly all plausible. Still, I do feel that maybe there is something missing...whether it's the system itself or my understanding of it, I don't know yet.

Most likely the latter.  Tongue  I shall continue researching.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 3:19pm

Kick wrote on Aug 13th, 2020 at 2:20pm:

The reverse grip is currently in vogue. Look at the Star Wars sequels where they use it with a lightsaber. Just to be clear they have a weapon so hot it can melt a foot of hardened steel and cut metal droids in half in a millisecond next to their body. Smh. And that’s not mentioning how incredibly awkward and impractical it looks when swinging. Knives make a little more sense but still I agree that it’s not as practical as the conventional grip.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 4:13pm

The one weapon that sort of makes sense like that is the Ulak from the Chronicles of Riddick movie. It's not actually reverse grip but has the blade pointing in the reverse grip direction. Skallagrim did a video on them a thousand years ago (how I found his channel in fact) and makes a lot of good points as to how they would work as actual weapons.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 11:25pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:54pm:
Still need to make a decent hunting boomerang, feel like it’s very underrated small game hunting tool.

Check these out

https://youtu.be/k7VSEPTukYo

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 1:32pm

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 4:23pm

Waxwing_Sling wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 3:36pm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAqwBh2PK0&feature=youtu.be

I thought this to be a very interesting video on the cane fighting method from France. At first glance the techniques seem very awkward, with the straight arm and cane. I imagine it's one of those things that makes more sense as you develop some skill with it.

Or...

It's just one of those style things that makes no sense. Tongue

I'm not an expert in french cane fighting but if I remember right, they are more looking for a "beau geste" (nice move) than pure vicious victory. So you keep your arm straight and you prepare your move from far behind you, an ample arm move is more appreciated than a small quick and hard strike Smiley

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 8:28pm

It looks to me like the French cane fighting is based heavily on fencing methods.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:09pm

Boomerangs and throwing sticks were used by everyone's ancestors at one time or another. 

Choctaws in Mississippi and Alabama still have family or tribal rabbit hunts with throwing sticks.  Some of those throwing sticks are family heirlooms and have been handed down for several generations.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 7:24pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:09pm:
Boomerangs and throwing sticks were used by everyone's ancestors at one time or another. 

Choctaws in Mississippi and Alabama still have family or tribal rabbit hunts with throwing sticks.  Some of those throwing sticks are family heirlooms and have been handed down for several generations. 

Not uncommon.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 9:44pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Sep 10th, 2020 at 12:09pm:
Some of those throwing sticks are family heirlooms and have been handed down for several generations. 

When my family passes on, I sure hope I inherit more than a stick Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 10:23pm

The lp says "we do not want too much therefore do not have too much."  So for us, a good throwing stick would be good  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)