Send Topic Print
Your WWII Warplane (Read 5275 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Your WWII Warplane
Reply #30 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 12:51am

I'd like to add one more thing about the P38.  Most fighters and fighter bombers of the time with multiple guns had them mounted in the wings.  The P38 had all five of its guns, four 50 cals and one 20mm cannon, mounted on the nose of the plane close together.  This means that it had a very tight shot group, pulverizing anything it hit.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #31 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 10:52am

Rat Man wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 12:51am:
I'd like to add one more thing about the P38.  Most fighters and fighter bombers of the time with multiple guns had them mounted in the wings.  The P38 had all five of its guns, four 50 cals and one 20mm cannon, mounted on the nose of the plane close together.  This means that it had a very tight shot group, pulverizing anything it hit.   

And at almost any range, too.  Other fighters had their guns set to converge several hundred yards out, so they could pulverize too, but only at one specific range.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #32 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:51am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 24th, 2020 at 9:44am:
Edited:
comfortable

Hmm, having see a spitfire seat - not sure comfort was uppermost in the designers mind.

What was supermost were drainage holes !
Thoses flifgsuits got 'wet' fairly often and the seat had built in drainage holes for excess urine.

Well... yes. But they did sit on their parachute pack.  Wink

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #33 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:58am

Oxnate wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 10:52am:
And at almost any range, too.  Other fighters had their guns set to converge several hundred yards out, so they could pulverize too, but only at one specific range.

Ditto for the Mosquito. Which carried anything from no armament at all, to four machine guns plus four canon, to
a late version which carried a quick fire anti-tank gun, used mostly against shipping, along with a version carrying
rockets.

All without, if I recall correctly, any significant changes to the airframe. When they designed the Mosquito they just got it right from the start.

Lots of good videos featuring it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-IxiZyGRk

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #34 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 2:13pm

wanderer wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:58am:
Oxnate wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 10:52am:

Ditto for the Mosquito. Which carried anything from no armament at all, to four machine guns plus four canon, to
a late version which carried a quick fire anti-tank gun, used mostly against shipping, along with a version carrying
rockets.

All without, if I recall correctly, any significant changes to the airframe. When they designed the Mosquito they just got it right from the start.

Lots of good videos featuring it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX-IxiZyGRk

The Mosquito was a brilliant success.  A stroke of genius.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #35 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 1:32am

I've always wondered what separated the good designs from the bad. There seem to be some extremely complex designs that were outstanding, others that failed miserably, and the same for simple designs. Was it just a stroke of luck? or was there particular features that made a design successful?

John R.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #36 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 11:18am

The Mustang I guess.
I don't know much about air planes but everyone says that's the best.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #37 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 2:08pm

Antonov A-40... because who doesn’t want a flying tank?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40?ref=wiki_115436

Too bad it didn’t actually work.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #38 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 1:21am

Or... since the tank didn’t actually work, what about a flying flame thrower?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38796/in-world-war-ii-the-royal-air-force-...

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)