Send Topic Print
Your WWII Warplane (Read 5268 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Your WWII Warplane
Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 1:10pm

The Germans were literally decades ahead  of the rest of the world technologically.  If Hitler wasn't a a-hole they probably would have had the atom bomb first.  Here is the first functional jet fighter, Messerschmitt's ME-262.  It was roughly 100 mph faster than the fastest piston engine fighter, the P-51 Mustang.  It's swept wing design was copied by the Soviets, Brits, and Americans after the war.  IMO it is a beautiful plane.

ME.jpg (72 KB | 13 )
ME.jpg

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 8:52am

I've never looked into why or how ww2 germany had so much technological growth. What do you think was the reason?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 1:38pm

I honestly have no idea but it's astounding how far ahead of the rest of the world they were.  If they had developed the atom bomb first those of us left would all be speaking German now because they also had the means to deliver such a warhead.  The V-2 would have wiped out England and it would have only been a short  matter of time before they had an ICBM that could cross the Atlantic.  At that point the war would have been over. 

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 1:39am

Rat Man wrote on Aug 21st, 2020 at 1:38pm:
    I honestly have no idea but it's astounding how far ahead of the rest of the world they were.  If they had developed the atom bomb first those of us left would all be speaking German now because they also had the means to deliver such a warhead.  The V-2 would have wiped out England and it would have only been a short  matter of time before they had an ICBM that could cross the Atlantic.  At that point the war would have been over. 

Ratman, the V-2 did not have the lift capacity (1100 lbs via Wikipedia) to lift a nuclear weapon of 1945. The initial designs were massive and required modified B-29s to carry the load. Little boy was almost 10000 lbs and standard B-29s apparently only had a 5000 lbs lift capacity.  I doubt that within the scope of the war Germany would have had the resources to develop better delivery systems or bombs. They were stretched very, very thin by the front in Russia.

On that note, have you ever seen "WWII in Color" on Netflix? It is really good. It is 12 hours of colorized footage and a very condensed version of WWII that I thought was very well done. I learned a lot, but it does leave out a lot of important details of some of the conflicts. But that is what you get when you try to condense 6 years of the worlds events into 12 hours...

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 2:59pm

I stand corrected.  That said, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken them long to develop a missile capable of getting the job done once they had the bomb.  I have seen WWII In Color. I've watched the series a few times. It is very well done.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 7:48pm

Germany also had the only operational rocket powered interceptor ever produced, the ME 163 Komet.  On a test flight one reached 700 mph!  It was an extremely dangerous plane to fly and was only moderately successful as a fighter/interceptor.  Just the same it was amazing technology for the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163_Komet

Comet_003.jpg (217 KB | 48 )
Comet_003.jpg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 2:26am

I think Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark taught us all that the Germans were way ahead in aviation technology Smiley

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 8:43am

when I was a kid I liked the P-40 Warhawk and Zero (A6M) but I think I like all fighter planes from ww2.

germany turned too many people against them, if they wanted to win they should be more like romans and turn people on each other or pay to fight for them

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 11:41am

I really like the Spitfire Mk IX.
Well armed, maneuverable, comfortable, beautiful looking aircraft. Those Merlin engines sound glorious as well.
I've read that some later marks of spitfire were a bit faster, but sacrificed on maneuverability.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 1:51pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 23rd, 2020 at 8:43am:
when I was a kid I liked the P-40 Warhawk and Zero (A6M) but I think I like all fighter planes from ww2.

germany turned too many people against them, if they wanted to win they should be more like romans and turn people on each other or pay to fight for them

Very true.

And I also think the Spitfire was a beautiful plane.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 9:44am

Edited:
comfortable

Hmm, having see a spitfire seat - not sure comfort was uppermost in the designers mind.

What was supermost were drainage holes !
Thoses flifgsuits got 'wet' fairly often and the seat had built in drainage holes for excess urine.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 10:57am

The glamorous life of a fighter pilot!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #27 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 10:13pm

Want to fly a P-38?

This is, apparently, a realistic P-38 flight simulator.

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/fis38l

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 4:29am

Oxnate wrote on Aug 28th, 2020 at 10:13pm:
This is, apparently, a realistic P-38 flight simulator.

As a kid I tried to play combat flight simulator. like IL-2 Sturmovik . So boring! I couldn't understand terminology and English lol . But I remember there were hours of flight until I get to drop a bomb or even have a dogfight. and dogfights were so difficult to engage in, most of the time I ended up slowing the game down so I can control the plane.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #29 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 1:35pm

In the nineties I downloaded a flight simulator.  It was some kind of bomber...  I can't remember which.  After much practice and many crashes I could finally get it airborne and drop the bombs.  Once or twice I even hit the target.  But I could never land the damned thing without crashing it.  Not once. It was a very difficult simulator.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris)