Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Problem with thin efficient slings (Read 5876 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Problem with thin efficient slings
Reply #30 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:49am

My cleanest throwing sling has been with paracord and a tab at the end. Basically the closest to reverse taper you are likely to see.

I wonder how much it really matters that a release cord is tapered? Is the stone really that likely to contact the end of the cord? I think the only time I’ve had this happen was when using very poor ammo which didn’t release cleanly due to the ammo not the sling.

Maybe certain throwing styles and/or set ups are more prone to such problems. To my knowledge it hasn’t been a huge issue with my paracord slings.

Come to think of it a stone is a lot more likely to contact the near pouch portion of the cord so wouldn’t it make sense to have that as small as possible?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:45pm

The ammo should be out of the pouch after the release cord has moved outward by half the length of the pouch. It’s only a few inches. The mass distribution shouldn’t have a huge effect either way. The biggest reason to taper is for that supersonic whip crack.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #32 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 1:13pm

I really do advise to buy one of Luis slings. His slings are some of the best
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:46am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #33 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 1:50pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:45am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #34 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 4:27am

I've whipped myself pretty hard just with a knot and it can sting like hell.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:11am

Thin efficient sling in action!!!

VvvvvvvvvvV
      VvvV
         V

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:03pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:44am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #37 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:40pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:03pm:
I understand what you say now Mersa. You are right about a taper hastening a release.
That does not mean that an extremely tapered cord (i.e. very thick a the base) would release quicker than just a straight thin cord (the misunderstanding). And if there's a fluffy end it will slow it down again.
Before I tied a little weight I had a knot. To my mind it felt as if it released quicker with the tiny weight. I added a larger weight and it slowed down again. That means it can't open up quicker with more weight at the end. It is counterintuitive.

But now that I have removed both the weight and the knot it feels as if that gives the quickest release. No knot, no weight, no tab, no fluffy tail. Just the thinnest cord possible

I quite enjoy reading your posts. It's almost like a stream of consciousness.

I was thinking that a weight on the end should impede the sling from opening faster, but I held my tongue in the occasion of you coming back with video evidence proving me wrong Smiley

Actually, I was thinking that if you had a small weight on the release side of the pouch might help with opening. Because the weight is out at a larger radius in the rotating reference frame (with the same angular velocity), the force on it should be larger, allowing more acceleration and hence the pouch should open faster.  So the balearic sling design may actually be something the helps to open the sling, given it's overall large mass. Of course thin and light should "open" faster.  And I say "open" because it simply means that the sling is out of the way, enough for the projectile to get by. A heavier sling has more inertia and can affect the projectile more by being in contact with it.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:22am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:43am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #39 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 7:34pm

I agree IG , I’ve always pondered the idea of a weight on the release side of the pouch to help open the sling but truth be told it’s only a thought and I’ve not tryed it in practice

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #40 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 8:20am

(Sigh)... I really do need to set up those high speed video experiments.  I’ll add cord mass distribution to the list of experiments to try... some day.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 8:27am

Not to be a huge downer but release timing is far less crucial imo than is being made out to be in this thread.

The crucial part of it is consistent release timing. So long as it happens consistently from one shot to the next that’s all that matters for target and perhaps even distance. On a decent throw the stone is already exiting the pouch in a matter of tenths of a second.

That being said I’m a hypocrite  as I’ve considered for years putting a weak elastic cord on the release side of the pouch to flip it open faster. I never did because I can’t reason out how that would actually help. Interesting idea though.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #42 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 8:48am

By the way, there’s two extremes to consider for pouch opening: one is where the release cord swings outward without bending... opening the pouch like a hinge. That would be the slowest mode of opening the pouch because the entire release cord has to swing 180 degrees to completely open the pouch. The other extreme is where the release cord moves outward, parallel to the retention cord, gliding directly away from the slinger’s hand. This rolls the pouch open and is the fastest release because the pouch will be flat after a few inches of motion.

Real slings will do something in between these two behaviors. The pouch rolls open and the release cord also swings away. If a particular weight setup reduces the release cord’s outward swing, then it will release faster, but added mass will also slow the acceleration of the cord, so for any particular motion, less mass will open the pouch faster. 

How’s that for a complicated non-answer? Grin

Obviously we need experiments and high speed video to get a real answer.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #43 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 8:50am

@Morphy, If you buy into the hinge versus glide model above, it may very well be a source of inconsistency in the release timing if the sling opens differently each time.

(I suspect the slinger is still the most significant factor most of the time though)

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:00am

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:41am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)