IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Bark Cloth
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:25am

Blocked.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 7:27am

slingbadger wrote on Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:25am:
Blocked.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhznFtHhkBo

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:27am

I’ve always wondered how the trees don’t die being completely stripped of bark. Pretty amazing stuff though. First thing that comes to mind for me would be stone pouch and quiver.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:48am

Talking of bark clothing...

https://www.google.com/search?q=birch+bark+shoes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2...

An old Finnish craft (well a lot of Nordic countries I think) is to make stuff out of birch bark by weaving it together. I still haven't made a sling out of birch bark but it's on the list. At the very least I would want to have a go at making a birch bark ammo pouch.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 1:29pm

I wonder what trees in North America could be used for this purpose.  I would very much expect that the trees die after being stripped of bark.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 4:51pm

If you cut the bark right, birch can survive it.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 6:08pm

If you damage the cambium the tree will likely die or have a reduced vitality. Contact a local tree worker I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if you stripped bark from some trees that they intended to dismantle/remove. Don’t do this on trees that would be retained.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 7:10pm

Very interesting, would love to make some of that as well as know how durable it is.
Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 1:03pm

I believe I’ve read that some African cultures would beat the bark off a baobab limb to the point that it would slip off the branch in one piece for making a quiver. I kind of wonder if that would work with other trees. That would be a pretty cool way to make a quiver.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 5:43pm

Definitely can beat bark off certain trees in a perfect cylinder. Of corse you need to be able to slide it off so again I’ll state

Call a local tree worker and use material that has already been condemned.

DO NOT do this to living trees that you don’t own or intend to keep.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:33pm

Mersa wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 5:43pm:
Definitely can beat bark off certain trees in a perfect cylinder. Of corse you need to be able to slide it off so again I’ll state

Call a local tree worker and use material that has already been condemned.

DO NOT do this to living trees that you don’t own or intend to keep.

That is one thing about shows like naked and afraid where the contestants will cut down a sizable fruit tree just to get a handful of fruit. I get that it’s survival but if indigenous people survived like that they would quickly end up with no resources at all.

I think with something like the quiver you could get away with just using a branch or something. Maybe not the best but at least you don’t end up cutting down a whole tree so there’s that.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:58pm

There are enough trees being cut down in suburban environments as it is, tree workers will likely be pleased if you come and give them a helping hand and remove some of their “waste” as payment. This goes for fire wood , bow staves, Flowers, bark fiber, etc. You wouldn’t believe the amount of good materials we throw through a wood chipper. In Germany a lot of the sizeable pieces are taken to the saw mill, and the smaller debris is chipped and then used in furnaces to make power. Quite a resource that’s largely untouched in Australia. Here it’s pretty much all turned into mulch and left to decompose, then sometimes used as garden mulch. Almost criminal when you know what beautiful straight solid timber goes in to make something that’s not in demand like garden mulch. Sometimes I try to take good wood home but it’s not overly practical a lot of the time.

If you have interests in woodworking and other plant based resources I would recommend getting in contact with a local tree worker. You never know what you might score for nothing.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:20am

A lot of trees got cut down around our area during recent landscaping and they simply left the cut up branches and trunks lying pretty much where they fell. They were there for a good few weeks before they sent a big truck to throw them in the back off so, before they did that, I grabbed a big trunk and carried it home Cheesy It's now been sitting on the balcony for a while and I'm hoping next year to try and fashion a throwing stick out of it, one of the large style ones. It was almost certainly just going to be chipped or pulped so I thought I would give it a slightly more interesting life before it ends up back in the dirt Cheesy I'm not sure what type of wood it is and I have no idea if it'll be any good for a throwing stick but hey it'll be good practice on free material Cheesy

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 7:23am

We call it siapo, it's very labour intensive to make. Most Pacific Islands made it or still do, and used it for clothing, they call it tapa. Paper Mulberry tree is the main one used, and it's cut down and the bark taken off it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapa_cloth

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)