Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style? (Read 7558 times)
Waxwing_Sling
Tiro

Progress, not perfection.

Central Minnesota, USA
Re: What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style?
Reply #45 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 4:09am

Shakli wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:19am:
Found this when I started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kdRs4x1fs&t=273s
At time 9:10  there is a split screen showing all the release points of the different styles.

This one recently became my favorite slinging video.

May you be safe, be happy, be healthy, and live with ease.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #46 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:08am

Not bad for the styles shown but we have a few more we would need to add to get the complete “slinging.org” vocabulary

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #47 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:30am

I use that video as well as my reference point for the different styles. It's (so far) the most comprehensive and clear.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #48 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 10:34am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 12:44am:
Morphy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:36pm:
Apache is a weird style, but I love it. So different than all the others

I theorize that the current "Apache" is a misinterpretation. I believe it should actually be done more like a figure-8 from the same rest position, resulting in much more power. I've never seen an Apache slinger sling, so I don't know whether this is true or not, but what is considered the "Apache" method doesn't seem at all practical to me when compared to other methods.

It’s possible. Of course it’s likely that there is no one “Apache” style but many different styles used by them.

One interesting thing about the classic Apache as we know it here is that there is an actual video of an indigenous possibly Inuit child using a sling in the Apache style. It’s one of the few videos we have of any North American indigenous person using a style that is likely original to their people. So we can reasonably assume it’s a real style used by these groups but whether it has anything at all to do with the Apache is not nor will ever be known for sure.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #49 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 4:14pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:09am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #50 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 2:39am

I don't do any of the styles I've seen here. I have a crappy homemade style that works well for me.

Apart from Greek and Apache, none of them seem suitable for hunting, and I had a try with Greek and threw all over the place. I'm probably too old to change without a very good reason.

When I throw long sling and big rocks (which is rare) I use Polynesian.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #51 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:00am

a wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 2:39am:
I had a try with Greek and threw all over the place

That's funny because Greek is my most accurate style Cheesy What's even funnier is that it's my most accurate but far from my favourite Cheesy I much prefer helicopter and fig 8. Balearic I'm bad at and half the time end up almost straining my arm but I still prefer it to Greek. I'm not sure why but Greek doesn't feel all that comfortable but still it's what I do best *shrug*.

Do you have any videos of your style? It's always interesting to see how people sling.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #52 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:14am

Kick wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:00am:
Do you have any videos of your style?

I'll make a video tomorrow, but it's really crappy compared to what I'm seeing on here. For hunting it works for me because you control the angle of release right until you release.

Fair warning though, I'm pretty ugly and heavily tattooed.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #53 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:44am

Well I'm pretty ugly and still working on the heavily tattooed part Cheesy

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #54 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:37am

I solely use overhand and turkey style. I have used some other before but these two have been so ingrained in me that I can't remember using anything else. Which is bad because I am completely incapable of handling any style that requires you to shift the movement of the stone from one plane to another or rotate the pouch along the way. I got hooked on those two because the projectile moves in line with your target the entire time. Very easy. 

Really want to learn balearic at some time, or some other rotating style. Also greek, byzantine and apache.

I swear that I have used the turkey style since last summer without knowing what it was (I only just watched Kick's video). In my version I hold my arm straight up, elbow to the head with the pouch at my back. I simply wanted to find the very most simple style that was the reminiscent of throwing something with your hand.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:04pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #55 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:22pm

My version in that video is pretty rough. I should do a proper video showing all the styles as I do them. Of course it's as it gets colder and wetter that I have all the best sling video ideas...

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #56 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 11:06pm

I don't dance around. The less movement the better and often can't choose footing. The horizontal plane is the most important to me.

Animals move in a 2D plane. Get that right and you optimise your chance of hitting them. You might miss the one you're aiming at and get the one beside it, or behind it. But they don't stack on top of each other, grow taller or sink into the ground. So get it wrong and it's a guaranteed miss. I've had dogs bolt over a couple of metres straight into a poorly shot stones path. But I've never seen one jump 2 metres into the air to get hit.

If the vertical plane is more important for some reason (shooting through a gap, or a nice line of piglets heading away etc,.) then I just throw it like a stone.

https://youtu.be/QQfQYvS-QII

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #57 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 9:10am

When I sling, it is still either balearic or f8. Used to be pretty good with greek. Should try it again.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15)