Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style? (Read 7551 times)
Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Re: What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style?
Reply #30 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:33pm

I've stuck by what seems to be an Apache style for a while now, which evolved out of my experimentation with the Greek style. I like the simplicity of it, along with the horizontal-plane accuracy.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:11pm:
I have to emphatically disagree. My favorite styles cannot be described by any of these three: Kung Fu Meteor Hammer Knee-Strike style is my favorite!

KFMHKS is a unique style for sure! It's a better integration of slinging and fixed mass-on-a-string weaponry than I could've thought of, ha ha. My "meteor sling" was as much a turkey weapon as KFMHKS is a turkey style. Grin

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:36pm

Apache is a weird style, but I love it. So different than all the others

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:38am

Captain_Twine wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:33pm:
I've stuck by what seems to be an Apache style for a while now, which evolved out of my experimentation with the Greek style. I like the simplicity of it, along with the horizontal-plane accuracy.

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:11pm:
I have to emphatically disagree. My favorite styles cannot be described by any of these three: Kung Fu Meteor Hammer Knee-Strike style is my favorite!

KFMHKS is a unique style for sure! It's a better integration of slinging and fixed mass-on-a-string weaponry than I could've thought of, ha ha. My "meteor sling" was as much a turkey weapon as KFMHKS is a turkey style. Grin

Oh no! Turkey style is completely different. Before CA fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to The Forum, we had to do battle with a great troll by the name of RS.  The epic battle  against this troll was fierce. I was there, but the real reason I know about it is because I read about this great battle in an ancient scroll that has since been lost to the fires of Mount Kilimanjaro.  Many slingers were deceived by RS’s siren song, but in the end, the troll king was permanently banished from this land. Before he disappeared forever though, he left us with Turkey style.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 6:52pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:38am:
Oh no! Turkey style is completely different. Before CA fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to The Forum, we had to do battle with a great troll by the name of RS.  The epic battle  against this troll was fierce. I was there, but the real reason I know about it is because I read about this great battle in an ancient scroll that has since been lost to the fires of Mount Kilimanjaro.  Many slingers were deceived by RS’s siren song, but in the end, the troll king was permanently banished from this land. Before he disappeared forever though, he left us with Turkey style.

Oh, shoot. One moment - Does the phrase "Turkey style" refer to the particular style, that the ancient Troll King RS left upon his banishment, or can it refer to any style that is considered gimmicky or impractical? I always assumed the latter, but then, I've only got 48 (After this 49) posts to my username; I'm not on top of my Slinging.org lingo to be sure.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 9:47pm

LOL!  I understood what you meant Smiley
Kick just posted a video in the “rainy day” topic where he was throwing sock balls indoors with the RS Turkey Style... it’s an overhand throw that whips over your shoulder and at the end of the throw, your wrist bends forward like your hand is forming the head and your arm is the neck of the turkey. It’s designed to make the slinger look silly, but technically it will also launch a projectile.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 1:10pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 3rd, 2020 at 4:36pm:

Apache is easy to learn.  For the first few months of my slinging career that's all I used.  Also, it has no wind up so it's very fast.  This could be useful for hunting purposes. 
    The disadvantages are that it's not the most accurate style and it doesn't have great range.  After using just
Apache for a few months I could get as  far as eighty or ninety yards which isn't bad but I can shoot over twice as far using other styles.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:08pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 5th, 2020 at 1:10pm:

Apache is easy to learn.  For the first few months of my slinging career that's all I used.  Also, it has no wind up so it's very fast.  This could be useful for hunting purposes. 
    The disadvantages are that it's not the most accurate style and it doesn't have great range.  After using just
Apache for a few months I could get as  far as eighty or ninety yards which isn't bad but I can shoot over twice as far using other styles. 

Yes a big deal is made out of it in the article written but after rereading it 10 times or so I’m convinced half of it at least is just his ideas rather than what the guy told him.

I don’t necessarily think it’s the best style out there but I came to really enjoy it because it’s so different than any other style.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #37 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 6:31pm

I just remembered I have a real old video on Youtube of me doing Turkey Throw against a pumpkin. Didn't hit the sodding thing once and my form is terrible but still it gives you the basic idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmcwYi_hUs
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:42am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 12:05am

Level Up!
Slinging Nomenclature:
(+1)
Power: 1
Accuracy: 1
Range: 1

The more you know, right? That's one less phrase I'll ever misuse again, at least Grin

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #39 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 12:44am

I theorize that the current "Apache" is a misinterpretation. I believe it should actually be done more like a figure-8 from the same rest position, resulting in much more power. I've never seen an Apache slinger sling, so I don't know whether this is true or not, but what is considered the "Apache" method doesn't seem at all practical to me when compared to other methods.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #40 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:44am

I'm fairly sure the "Apache" title is basically random. I dont believe there is any evidence the Apache actually used that style specifically.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:28am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 2:40pm

-

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:25am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:56pm

I like Byzantine but because I like longer slings I make figure 8s bellow my waist to keep it off the dirt

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #43 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:20pm

As confusing as it may be most people on the forum have a good understanding of our “made up names”.
Be nice to make a montage of us slinging for newbies.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #44 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:19am

Mersa wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:20pm:
Be nice to make a montage of us slinging for newbies.

Found this when I started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kdRs4x1fs&t=273s
At time 9:10  there is a split screen showing all the release points of the different styles.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)