Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style? (Read 7550 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: What Is Your Favorite Slinging Style?
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 7:18pm

After going through all three styles and as many of their variations as I could find, I have settled on Balearic and never went back. I wouldn't say its either overhand or sidearm, for me its a bit of a combination. Recently threw glandes way over 200y and would have likely landed 350-400y if there wasn't a embankment (with 28" sling and this style).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 7:57pm

I really struggle to see how anyone knows how far they sling with lead. In my experience it’s nearly impossible to follow the glande through the whole flight due to size, they bury and over water they don’t even splash, perhaps it’s just me but I can’t see how people follow the glande.

I have some tungsten ammo and have surely thrown it great distances but I can’t claim it because I can’t see it or find it.

200m is far
450m ish is the record and always with long slings.
500 ish is unofficial record on this forum
And then 800+ on YouTube.

I just struggle to comprehend how someone can see the glande traveling that far.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 11:46pm

I would also like to know how this is accomplished.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:17am

Well let's take VoloundExpounds as a guide. Why him? He claims distances of 800m+ (furthest I've ever heard), has numerous videos (so you can actually see what he's doing) and, though he hasn't been able to find the lead he's been throwing because it would be almost impossible, he does have some math to show he's throwing very fast and very far if not the full 800m.

He uses pirouette style, an ultra thin, ultra long, 1mm UHMWPE sling with an ultra small pouch and biconical lead glades. And he throws really hard.

All these factors add up to very long distances except perhaps pirouette. i would say any sidearm throw would do it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:58am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:33am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:03am

-

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:05am

The way I know it would have gone at least 300y, is because I saw it fly over the tops of trees on an embankment which would be about ~150ft above level ground (with perfect stabilisation). It was also a cloudy sky which made them much easier to see. Unfortunately I threw 2 easier-to-see red ones but they were flying a bit sideways and one hit one of the tree trunks on the embankment and wouldn't have gone so far. They still go like a rocket though.
Clay on the other hand lags behind, but still got 200y shots with ~50g clay projectiles with the same 28" sling (again hitting tree trunks, but much lower down).
When you realise that lead is about seven times denser, an extra 100-200y makes complete sense.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:12am

-

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:41am

WOTS I’m not saying you didn’t throw that far but I would question your logic.
I’ve had throws like this in the past , but once I really went to the effort of actually measuring throws on level ground and getting confirmed distances I was surprised.
Judging distances and especially height can be deceptive.
I do it a lot as part of my job and as a bow hunter.
I climb trees for a living and measure trees heights
Even with lazer rangefinders tree hights are almost never what you expected. Trees come in lots of shapes and can be difficult to actually measure until you physically measure the height. The same is true for distance on the ground. I can pretty accurately judge distances in certain terrain but in other terrain I can be completely off. This method of approximating distances also implies a perfect release angle and a theoretical (no wind resistance) parabolic arc. In real life wind and air actually play a massive role. Tail wind , cross wind , Magnus effect all can change those theoretical max distances. Sometimes even increasing distances.
This is why I really find these claims to be difficult to be accurate.

I really want to reiterate that I’m not discrediting you’re throws.
They are well inside of actual measured distances and I think your claims are very plausible. I don’t want this to come off as negative as I’m sure it does. It’s mostly the extravagant claims of almost double the record that really eerrk me.
But I would like to say that there can be surprises when you measure it on flat ground, and getting accurate measurements can be difficult enough.

Sorry if this sounds dismissive it not personally directed at you and I apologise if it seems that way.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:58am

As for the 800m+ claims the best piece of data that you can take is the mussel(release) velocity.
Videos of slinging on the beach are great but they don’t confirm anything. Realistically if the release speed is accurate and the maths says it’s within the realms of possibility then it’s possible but it’s far from confirmed. If we used the same logic for paper planes would we be accurate?? Or for frisbees??
Both of these examples are on the opposite end of the spectrum but golf balls are exceeding theoretical maximums as well. It’s just as possible our approximations with lead glandes May have other aerodynamic effects playing roles both negatively or positively.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:17am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:58am:
I think Turkey throw is much better, more resembling a classic overhand throw

I've just made a video (got it all filmed before breakfast Cheesy) with the Turkey Throw and Greek style. I think they are pretty comparable, but, at least in the short session I just did, I was far more accurate with Greek and in a lot of the shots was getting more power. This is kind of what I mean when I say that I agree there are three broad (because as you said, the angles are not always identical) release points, but getting to those release points can have a major effect on how the throw turns out and that's what I think makes the style.

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:58am:
Apache is such a weird throw to me.

I've never comfortably used Apache as you describe. I think of all the "established" styles, it's the least efficient and most uncomfortable to use.

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:12am:
What is Pirouette?

This is a problem that comes up on the forum every few years or even months. The real problem is that humans like classification and, I have to say, a lot of slingers are science and mathematically minded (only the first one for me...) and so very much like the idea of classifying all of the different styles. The problem is that this forum has cultivated a language that would be difficult to change to more neutral names. If I say fig. 8 we'll all know roughly what I mean. Same with Balearic. It's absolutely true that every Balearic slinger that I saw at the International was doing something different to everyone else, but, because of this shared language, we know I mean a sidearm release with most likely prerotations, angled to the rear of the body and usually horizontally to the target. It's a lot quicker to just say Balearic than go through with a long list of qualifiers. This was the problem Bambula had a little while ago. He was absolutely convinced he had a completely unique throwing style that was unlike anything anyone had ever done before. To everyone here, it looked like fig 8 but before he went into the fig 8 motion he rotated the sling forwards a few times rather than hold it or let it hang. He wanted a name for it and I said "Fig 8 with pre rotations" and he threw an absolute hissy fit. He was incredulous that I dare suggest his unique style wasn't absolutely unique (except I do think he's the only person I've seen to have pre rotations with fig 8 and it actually makes for a very relaxing throw) and he stormed off the forum never to be heard from again.

The names are very broad because so many aspects go into a throw that if we were to get too granular with it we would be spending all our time classifying and none actually slinging Cheesy For me, pirouette specifically is sidearm, but you spin your whole body around and release with a straight arm. That's specifically pirouette.

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:12am:
but then when they're about to throw, the last wind up they do is over the head instead of around the body and then they release a normal sidehand.

Let's call that one Dizzy Helicopter Cheesy

Mersa wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:58am:
As for the 800m+ claims the best piece of data that you can take is the mussel(release) velocity.
Videos of slinging on the beach are great but they don’t confirm anything. Realistically if the release speed is accurate and the maths says it’s within the realms of possibility then it’s possible but it’s far from confirmed. If we used the same logic for paper planes would we be accurate?? Or for frisbees??
Both of these examples are on the opposite end of the spectrum but golf balls are exceeding theoretical maximums as well. It’s just as possible our approximations with lead glandes May have other aerodynamic effects playing roles both negatively or positively.

I would say this is the best summary of the distance debate.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 4:16am

Was ist Figur 8? Ein overhand wurf ohne distanz Regelung.
Sie können damit auch nicht auf sich bewegende Ziele agieren.
Figur 8 ist einfach zu erlernen für Anfänger. Doch diese Methode ist trügerisch. Dazu kommt, daß sie nicht wirklich gesund ist.
Es bleibt aber ein overhand wurf.
Studieren Sie spanische Literatur. Dort werden ebenfalls nur drei Grund Stile beschrieben. Nur wenige Spanier kennen diese Bücher. Slingen ist für viele nur Fun. Und genau da liegt das Problem. Wenn es nur als Fun behandelt wird, geht die sportliche Ernsthaftigkeit verloren.
Natürlich gibt jeder slinger eine ganz eigene Note dazu. Das ist völlig normal und gibt es in jeder Sportart. Hier im forum ist zu beibachtendas immer wieder mal Neulinge auftauchen. Sie schießen ein halbes Jahr und glauben alles über das slingen zu wissen. Bambula war ein gutes Beispiel. Und natürlich muß man sich profilieren indem man gleich einen neuen Stil oder eine neue Schleuder erfindet.
Ihre video Beweise sind immer sehr begrenzt. Auf Wettkämpfen sieht man sie nie. Andere dagegen sind Arbeiter. David Morningstar zum Beispiel. Er ist oft traurig darüber das er nicht besser trifft. Dabei könnte er viel besser sein. Seine Anlagen sind sehr gut. Eine woche gezieltes Training und er würde sich erheblich verbessern.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:51am

Are overhand, underhand, and sidearm (as it relates to slinging) determined by the movement of the arm or the movement of the sling?

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 4:12pm

I prefer underhand with a 31 inch sling  single spin  ,and yes I am old,  74 years old in fact. If I go to my 45 incher  I like Balearic.....due to the lag with that length it is difficult for me to do a single spin underhand ..and the single spin is what I mainly use

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:11pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:19pm:
To me there are just 3 styles, underhand, sidearm and overhand.

I have to emphatically disagree. My favorite styles cannot be described by any of these three: Kung Fu Meteor Hammer Knee-Strike style is my favorite!  Reverse Elbow-Strike is a close second.

Neither of these is practical, but they are a lot of fun if you happen to have a 5-foot-long sling around Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52sE2bD4Af8

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)