Send Topic Print
My First Post (Read 6729 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: My First Post
Reply #45 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:27am

@Jauke - I get your point.  But I think what makes for good sling characteristics is very dependent on the situation.  A couple examples.  A few weeks ago I got some 425 paracord to try out (after getting a sling from NOC which was made with it).  I hadn't seen the stuff before.  When the paracord arrived I quickly put together a simple pouch and tied on the cords.  Not only did the sling work well, it was ideal because it was made it about 20 minutes and I was trying to get a feel for the cord.

And on the topic of the poor cupped pouch that gets so much criticism.  I think almost everyone is aware that my usual projectile of choice is an ice ball.  They're quick and easy to make, and you don't have to gather them up after slinging.  But they are also completely round (more or less), hard, and have a diameter of about 2.5 in. (6.3 cm).  I haven't had the best of luck in keeping them seated with balearic and other split pouch slings.  I've lost them during the rotor, and also when going into my throwing motion.  With a cupped pouch, that ice ball isn't going anywhere until it's released.  If that means that release isn't quite as clean as it could be, I'll take that trade off.  I think this characteristic also makes cupped pouches good for beginners.

I think Mersa brings up some good points.  In the search to find a sling that's good, there are other variables to consider than the sling itself.  Imagine if at some point a sling is made and it is "perfect".  As soon as you change the slinger, the environment, the projectile, or the distance, that sling may not be perfect anymore.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #46 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:29am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:26am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #47 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:27am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:26am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #48 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 2:52pm

The slings I use for ice are definitely designed for that, meaning a spherical projectile of (what I would consider) medium weight.

A question on something you said.  You stated that a normal sling with the right characteristics would be able to throw all the listed projectiles equally well.  The biggest difference in the list of projectiles would probably be the lead glande and the tennis ball.  I don't disagree that there could be a sling that throws these equally well.  But these objects are quite different in size, weight, and shape.  Doesn't it make sense that there could be adjustments made to the sling which would make it more efficient with one of these projectiles, but in turn would make it less efficient with the other?  Sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" sling.

And when I mentioned environment, I wasn't referring to countries.  I was talking about immediate surroundings.  An example of this is when we were doing the indoor challenges.  For several of them I used a smaller sling because of limited space.  Many of the slings I use outside just wouldn't have been an option.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #49 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 3:06pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:25am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #50 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:47pm

Thanks Jauke!  And sorry, didn't mean to bombard you like that.  I still don't entirely agree with everything you're saying, but I think you have some good ideas.  Look forward to continue seeing what you come up with.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #51 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 9:45am

I don't think knots connecting to the pouch or things like this are necessarily an issue. They can still release very cleanly especially with much lighter release cords than some traditional slings. A knot or some leather protrusions isn't a massive issue if there is literally only grams of inertia behind them.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #52 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 7:02pm

Must be why I like my dyneema slings so much

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #53 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 1:13am

-

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #54 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 2:11am

-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)