Reading any books? (Read 13618 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Reading any books?
Reply #75 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 9:59am

Good time to be had then Grin

I'm reading Air Guns by Wolff
it's one of the few history books about airguns and that's about its only positive. The writing leaves much to be desired but if you're interested in blowguns and airguns, it's a classic.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #76 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 11:08am

perpetualstudent wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 9:59am:
Air Guns by Wolff

seems interesting does it have schematics and methods of making the airguns/pumps/air tanks?
if you like the mechanisms check out how the huben k1 works, the concept reminds me of the piston valve you see on a lot of homemade airguns but more complex.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #77 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:02pm

Not nearly as much as you'd like but it documents the existence of them.  The closest it does is the mechanisms of ratchet spring guns that popped in the US during our civil war. Those type gallery guns were toys really, the best I've found on the early (powerful) pneumatic guns  is from forgotten weapons (https://youtu.be/sCoUWJHhDZ0). Interestingly Wolff mentions these type had some explosions, one theory is it wasn't the pressure itself but oil + pressure making a diesel like explosion. So he tested pressure on the globe ones with CO2 instead. I like the look of those airguns and with modern carbon fiber reinforced air tanks, you might be able to make a better version that uses that theoretically better container (the sphere).

Edit I'll have to look into that. I've been trying to see how they did it. I've looked at PCP for a while but haven't made the jump. Right now seeing what valves and methods has been what I've been searching for.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #78 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:43pm

Since I'm near entirely self directed in my work these days (last year PhD now!) I've taken the time to read some productivity books and really review how I'm doing things.

Getting Things Done - David Allen
Atomic Habits - James Clear
Deep Work - Cal Newport

GTD has some nice ideas I've taken on board, though I think the system in it's totality is too much- I bleed too much time from my day and find myself faffing with todo lists and projects more than I need to. That said, my current setup is still pretty close to what is put forward in the book.

Atomic habits is a great book, very much changed my views on what shapes human behaviour and I've definitely adopted things from this. Since I read the book a few months ago I'm more or less kicked the habit of nail biting (a 20 year habit), I also run immediately on getting up at 7:30 most weekdays, which nearly guarantees I have a productive morning. I also do meditation, yoga/stretching and a little calesthetics every weekday morning to keep my body healthy and injury free. I credit most of that to the approaches I learned from the book.

Deep Work I read most recently. I don't think it is of the same quality as AH, nor is it as convincingly argued- though I think there really is something to gain in drastically increasing our focus and reducing distraction. I've been attempting to do this recently in my work, condensing my windows of concentration but also switching the internet and phone off to totally remove distraction. An underrated benefit is that being productive like that makes you happy. I call it the paradox of happiness: to be truly happy you have to make choices that make you unhappy (at least in the short-term), this means working solidly with no distraction at all!

Anyone else read productivity books?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #79 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 4:33pm

Now I'm reading The Fear of Freedom by Erich Fromm good book

perpetualstudent wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:02pm:
Interestingly Wolff mentions these type had some explosions, one theory is it wasn't the pressure itself but oil + pressure making a diesel like explosion. So he tested pressure on the globe ones with CO2 instead.

I guess when pumping? because when shooting pcps get colder(?) he should have tried air. no oxygen no reaction...
I've read somewhere that oil in springer airguns can burst and produce high velocity shoots

JudoP wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 12:43pm:

I've listened to some huberman lab podcasts you might like it.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #80 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 5:26am

Hearing you write about those ones is definitely peaking my interest. THis year (as I have gone into too much detail elsewhere) I have basically written off. I've been "on holiday" from work since March and, though in a lot of ways it has been incredibly necessary and has allowed me to recover from burnout, it has meant I have put on weight, gotten lazy and spend the whole day sat around not working on things I would actually want to work on. Going to the competition has helped relight some fire in me (and I got to see what I look like in a big hotel mirror and on video...) so some strategies in how to use and organise my time could be a good thing.

Note: I'm not completely hating the way I look for those concerned, and what I'm saying is in no way to make others feel bad. In a lot of ways, putting on weight has been a sign that my stress has been relieved and I'm doing better mentally. I now need to use that better mental health to get my body healthy in a more positive way than running around at work putting out fires and stressing myself to death.

This comment ended up way longer than it should have.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #81 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:33am

Sarosh wrote on Oct 19th, 2021 at 4:33pm:
I guess when pumping? because when shooting pcps get colder(?)

Yep, during pumping because of the heat created in pressurizing while I believe you are correct you get mild cooling when depressurizing. Some insinuation that it was perhaps last minute rapid pumping. I read recently that even modern handpumps for PCP require rests. Pump a certain amount, leave to cool.

I've read somewhere that oil in springer airguns can burst and produce high velocity shoots

A yes "dieseling" pellets. I've heard putting oil or grease on the base of the pellet can get you that extra juice. There was one gun in the US that was designed for that but the ATF declared it a firearm and it was immediately killed.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #82 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:48am

I've listened to some huberman lab podcasts you might like it.

Interesting, I'll check them out.

Kick wrote on Oct 20th, 2021 at 5:26am:
Hearing you write about those ones is definitely peaking my interest. THis year (as I have gone into too much detail elsewhere) I have basically written off. I've been "on holiday" from work since March and, though in a lot of ways it has been incredibly necessary and has allowed me to recover from burnout, it has meant I have put on weight, gotten lazy and spend the whole day sat around not working on things I would actually want to work on. Going to the competition has helped relight some fire in me (and I got to see what I look like in a big hotel mirror and on video...) so some strategies in how to use and organise my time could be a good thing.

Note: I'm not completely hating the way I look for those concerned, and what I'm saying is in no way to make others feel bad. In a lot of ways, putting on weight has been a sign that my stress has been relieved and I'm doing better mentally. I now need to use that better mental health to get my body healthy in a more positive way than running around at work putting out fires and stressing myself to death.

This comment ended up way longer than it should have.

I'm glad you are feeling better man, and I hear you on that stuff. Being a bit overweight doesn't have to be super negative, I've never been on board with fat positivity and all that, but your physical shape far from defines you, it's just something else to look after and balance with your work and other responsibilities.

Corona seems to have benefitted some people healthwise, but for me it's the opposite, working from home removes a bunch of my daily activity of just simply walking round etc, and also social sport activites and gym have been off the table this whole time. Although now Judo, football etc are coming back in, so I've gotta get back to doing some stuff like that. With the running I'm not super unfit, but I am the heaviest I've ever been now at 103kg, it's probably about 20kg more than when I'm in 'good' shape.

I would recommend Atomic Habits, first and foremost. AH is focused on hacking your behaviour and making positive life changes. It's no silver bullet of course but the approaches in the book allow you to effectively tip the balance towards making the right choices, which is often enough to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #83 - Oct 21st, 2021 at 8:13am

JudoP wrote on Oct 21st, 2021 at 6:48am:
I would recommend Atomic Habits, first and foremost. AH is focused on hacking your behaviour and making positive life changes. It's no silver bullet of course but the approaches in the book allow you to effectively tip the balance towards making the right choices, which is often enough to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Awesome, I'll chase it up.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #84 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 9:42am

Sorry about the book on Sir Thomas Beecham.
I wanted to know more about the man, not who the cheif bassoonist of the LSO was in 1923.
So, an error and only for musicologists.
PM me if you want it.
Cheers
Zud

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #85 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 9:47am

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #86 - Oct 22nd, 2021 at 9:49am

Oh bugger, done it again. Reduced megapixies but not size.
Any suggestions  ?
Zud

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #87 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:05am

I've tried a few and generally been unimpressed. The most useful thing I've gleaned is that we are at our best when we voluntarily submit ourselves to rules. David Blaine (of all people) talked about this most explicitly but some folks looking at the importance of games to human life as well. You can also see similar things in stoic philosophy. Blaine talked about making a rule that is hard to follow and then following it as part of working himself up to some of his big stunts. Make and follow rules that you say "If I were to do this, I would be a better person". Don't immediately try to turn yourself into superman (you'll burn out really quickly) but submitting yourself to your own judgement instead of following impulse. For me the "give yourself a break" winds up important and I try to use a variant of the pomodoro technique. Balancing down time and work is important. Especially when I was trying to get out of grad school  Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #88 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 10:45am

My new rule is "sling every day". No max or min time just sling something every day. So far (two days) I've done it. but the weather is already freezing so I will need to move inside soon. Still working out where the best place is. There are indoor tennis courts nearby but I haven't had the chance to go over and explain what I need a court for. I feel that's better than booking a court and then taking them by surprise and getting chucked out and banned. Of course, that's the over the top worst case scenario, but it does need to be considered.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #89 - Oct 23rd, 2021 at 7:08pm

And on the book "knife"

Oh dear, the author maybe a craftsman but has bitten off more than he can chew.
To be avoided .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)