Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Reading any books? (Read 13622 times)
Harja_Eschen
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Reading any books?
Reply #60 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 9:28am

Last week I brought and started reading a translation of the Nihon Shoki in modern Japanese. The original is published in 720 and is nearly incomprehensible to modern Japanese speakers. I’m currently still stuck on the first chapter, on the creation myth of Japan.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #61 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 2:29pm

Quote:
the Gentleman Bastards series

with a name like that - I need to see if i can track them down Thumbs Up

Currently on the last book I have in my big mobi collection of the Anja creed books.

These are quite weird, in that they were all written by a wide variety of ghost authors.
So some are really good, some are utter crap and there is zero charadter evolution as each author seems to have been given carte blanche to ignore everything that's gone before.

Anja is basically an american lara croft with a 'magic' sword.

Most of them are quite good. I have about 18 or so out of 60 odd that were published.

They are light reading and don't require any thought on my part.

After 18 in a row I'm ready for a solid evolving series Smiley

Speaking of which I think there is a harry dresden novel i haven't read yet.
And I've only read book 1 of the aeronaut series by the same author
Hmm. at least i think I've read it - looks like he hasn't written any others yet.
Hmm that came out 6 years ago.
Me thinks his publishers are not happy bunnies.

Anyway I;m off to try and acquire 16&17 in the dresden series Smiley

Ooh, lookjs like there's two dresden books !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #62 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 12:57pm

If you're looking for a solid developing series I'll plug Joe Abercrombie's "The first law" trilogy. If "the thinking man's barbarian" appeals to you you might enjoy it.
The original trilogy is great but the other ones he's written in the series have been lackluster.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #63 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 9:34am

Sounds familiar.

The last two Dresden books were okay, but the author has a thing about punishing Dresden a bit more in each book.
And to be honest, it's not needed and has just got way out of hand.

Plus for the last few books Dresden's magical skill progression has been going backwards.

Given that the author seems to have ground to a halt on book production, gotta wonder if he's got to the point of having made enough money to live off for life and just can't be arsed to write any more.

Would be a shame, but honestly not sure I can take any more brutal treatment of Dresden.

I'll look up the Joe Abercrombie books. But the name is definitely familiar, pretty sure I've read the first law books.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 10:02pm

I’m reading three. Killing Patton by Bill O’Reilly, The Art of Invisibility by Kevin Mitnick, and War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 9:28am

I want to contribute something of worth to this thread but am not reading anything substantial right now.

So I will give you a quote about reading that I learned from a inner city black dude who taught me a surprising amount about life. He said Josh, (which is weird because my name is Morphy) but he said "Josh, books are for suckas."

Now looking back on this post my intentions were initially good. I wanted to contribute something of value. I may have failed but the intention was there. Sorry for using the last 30 seconds of your life so badly.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #66 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 2:57pm

Finished it years ago but Salammbo by Flaubert (besides being a very good book) features entire regiments Balearic slingers. Their mannerisms are described several times although they aren't the main focus of the book.

At some point Flaubert inadvertently  makes an (unfortunately) ingenious comparison between funditors and archers. A greek slave, who hasn't touched a bow in his life, practices with one for a few days. Then goes with a slinger to the city wall of Carthage and shoots a guard on the wall. Meanwhile he tells the slinger to stay put because "the whiz of the bullet" would alert the guard.

Read it here for free: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1290/1290-h/1290-h.htm#link2HCH0013

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #67 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 8:59am

The Joy of Flint.
Clive Waddington.

Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #68 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 3:58pm

Does it contain instructions of how to make stone tools?

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #69 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:11pm

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #70 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 8:24pm

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #71 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 8:29pm

Morphy wrote on Oct 7th, 2021 at 9:28am:
I want to contribute something of worth to this thread but am not reading anything substantial right now.

So I will give you a quote about reading that I learned from a inner city black dude who taught me a surprising amount about life. He said Josh, (which is weird because my name is Morphy) but he said "Josh, books are for suckas."

Now looking back on this post my intentions were initially good. I wanted to contribute something of value. I may have failed but the intention was there. Sorry for using the last 30 seconds of your life so badly.

Morphy,
I don't want to disturb you ( I am certain you are disturbed enough) but I think its time to put the kettle on.

Convince anyone you need cuppatea.

Take the Tea to a darkened room, sip it contemplatively, lay down,repeat untill you feel ready to join the real world.

Love and joy

Zud

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #72 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:41pm

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #73 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 8:43pm

And I'm so sorry, I know how to resize a picture so it's megapixies are small enough to fit

But

Size in frame....still totally random 

Mad Monkey

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #74 - Oct 19th, 2021 at 8:30am

Currently reading the first law series by joe abercrombie.
I have definitely read them before - but long enough ago that I can't remember any important plot points. So it's all good Smiley

Excellent books. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)