Send Topic Print
Reading any books? (Read 13616 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: Reading any books?
Reply #45 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 2:12pm

Archaic Egypt by Walter B. Emery.

Ancient history, especially the even more ancient parts, is a subject that lacks good dokumentation on the web and the two first dynasties of Egypt are no different. Luckily this book is very informative on all aspects of Egypt and features many well made illustrations.

Its use of the term “master race theory” is a testament to the time at which it was written (1961). Partially because such term would probably be worded differently today, and partially because this theory (which postulates that Egypt was unified by an invading peoples which then mixed into the native populace) is discredited in the present day.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 10:42pm

Just finished "Time of Contempt" it's the second novel (4th book in the series, the first 2 books are collections of short stories) in the Witcher universe. I'm thoroughly enjoying them. The first short story is shakey but they get better and better.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #47 - May 8th, 2021 at 3:03pm

I just finished The Complete Siberian Husky by Lorna B. Demidoff and Michael Jennings.  It was written in 1978 but a Husky in 1978 isn't any different from a Husky in 2021.  The book was left laying around my groomer's salon for ages so she gave it to me.
    The first part covers the history of the Siberian and how Stalin and the Russians almost destroyed the breed.  That was reasonably interesting. 
     The middle of the book is about the various bloodlines and such.  It's a  lot of names of dogs and breeders, dates, and places.  It's meticulously researched and very well done but unless you're a professional breeder it's mind numbingly boring.  I read some of it but eventually gave up and skipped a significant portion. 
     The end covers training.  Some of the methods are a little dated but basically it was spot on.  And this part got into the personality of the Husky, which could try the patience of a saint. 
    All in all it's a pretty good book, especially if you love the breed.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2021 at 1:48pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - May 11th, 2021 at 4:10pm

ratman A friend of ours used to breed siberian huskies for sled pulloing and showing.
They started in germany and continued when they moved back to england. #At one point mick was the number three musher in europe.

So we'd be looking late 70's to late 80's/early 90's

I have no clue what her kennel name was - but 'Bambi' sired so many succesful dogs, he should be in their somewhere.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #49 - May 16th, 2021 at 9:20pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 4:10pm:
ratman A friend of ours used to breed siberian huskies for sled pulloing and showing.
They started in germany and continued when they moved back to england. #At one point mick was the number three musher in europe.

So we'd be looking late 70's to late 80's/early 90's

I have no clue what her kennel name was - but 'Bambi' sired so many succesful dogs, he should be in their somewhere.

I'll go back and look.  Do you remember Mick's last name.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #50 - May 17th, 2021 at 6:15am

The Elder Edda. Tolkien used some of the story as a basis for LOTR.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - May 17th, 2021 at 5:37pm

I just read War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.
The one book that got me into reading books. I like how Wells describes the Martians and their behaviours on occupied pieces of land and in battle, the military response of the UK and how they wanted to deal with the invaders...
I always disliked reading, because our school system made it look like a work instead of fun. And it is actually quite a struggle when you have to read a book you don't like or don't care about just because you need it to get a grade. I almost always failed the test we were given, because when I don't care about what I am reading then I don't remember poopy.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #52 - May 18th, 2021 at 6:48pm

I might have to add some of the books mentioned to my reading list, but that list seems to grow much faster than I can finish books.

One that I read lately and liked was The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck. I tend to like his writing—one of my all time favorites is East of Eden. I remember being in a bit of a daze for the rest of the day after finishing it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #53 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:05pm

Good to see you again, Et Cetera.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #54 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 10:29pm

It's been a while since I last stopped by!

Has anyone read Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis? Someone recommended it to me, and although I'm not at all interested in the bond market in the 1980s, the writing is good enough to keep things moving. It's interesting how a good writer can make a seemingly boring topic interesting, and a poor writer can do the opposite...

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #55 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 4:33pm

War with the Newts by Karel Capek

Whoa. This is the best fiction book I have read in years. Felt like it adressed many modern issues even though it was written in 1936 and to adress completely other issues.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #56 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:53pm

Slyngorm wrote on Jul 26th, 2021 at 4:33pm:
War with the Newts by Karel Capek

I liked that one a lot myself. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #57 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 8:42am

Just finished Pet Sematary by Stephen King, was pretty chilling. Kinda expected something a bit more campy with zombie pets, but it's pretty grim with a lot of stuff around death in the family. Some of it is a bit cliche today, but it was written ~35 years ago.

King himself said it's the book that most scared him out of his whole collection.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #58 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 1:28pm

Right now I'm reading The Pacific by Hugh Ambrose.  It's a WWII book written from the perspective of six different servicemen in the various branches.  I'm just a few chapters in but it seems like a very good book.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #59 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 10:15pm

I'm almost done with The Lies of Locke Lamora.  This is the first book in the Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynche.  I'm not to the end yet, but if anyone is a fan of fantasy or stories about thieves, I recommend it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)