Send Topic Print
Reading any books? (Read 13617 times)
a

a

a
Re: Reading any books?
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:08am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:57am:
try and take my books and coffee away and there will be trouble !

Yep, essential items

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:02pm

I just received from a friend a (late but only because of the post) Christmas present in the form of a collection of John Milton's poetry including the complete Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained from 1849.

I've expressed before, probably too much, on this forum that I am not religious, but for me, Paradise Lost is the greatest piece of writing ever written in English. I've read it about 5 times (on my Kindle to go back to what C_A said) and I almost never reread anything. Every time I finish it I want to start again. This gift is quite possibly one of the best presents I have ever received. It might be one of my most precious possessions. If a fire starts in my house, I will, of course, grab my wife and drag her to safety, but she better be holding this book at the time because if not I'll be going back in. I want to be buried with it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:03am

Just finished the 5 first Conan shorts.
So far I am quite intrigued and I can definitely understand how he has slipped into the general pop culture along the lines of Frankenstein and Star Wars.

The setting especially were fascinating, with ancient cities already ancient in ancient times, even more ancient civilisations and separate lineages of people descendent from apes. And of course the little nods towards real historic entities.
I have got to read some more some day.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2021 at 3:40am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:15pm

As many of you know, for reasons already mentioned I haven't been able to read a full book for over four years.  That situation is somewhat resolved so it's time to reenter that wonderful world. 
    As I kid I never read books because school tried to force us too.  I resented books for that reason.  When we had to do a book report I'd read the front and back covers of the book only. I was imaginative enough to create a passable book report from just that. 
    For a few years of my life, mostly while I went to college, I was the graveyard shift security guard at a fiberglass plant.  It was then that I discovered what I had been missing and how wonderful and enlightening books are.  I read all of the classics they tried to force me to read in school and loved them.  I read every kind of book I could get my hands on. 
    Anyway, to get back into it I'm going to reread an excellent book I first read almost twenty years ago, Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose.  It's about Jefferson, The Louisiana Purchase, but mostly it's about the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  It's one of my favorite books of all time.  What an adventure! 
    The thing that I took away mostly from the book was how different men were back then.  Those guys truly had brass balls. 
     Anyway, if you like adventure and history I very highly recommend this book.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2021 at 1:53pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #34 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 4:35am

Am in the midst of reading Hell's Angels. It is not amazing but I'm getting through. Read Fear and Loathing years ago and thought this would be just like it.

Rat Man wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 1:15pm:
   As many of you know, for reasons already mentioned I haven't been able to read a full book for over four years.  That situation is somewhat resolved so it's time to reenter that wonderful world. 
    As I kid I never read books because school tried to force us too.  I resented books for that reason.  When we had to do a book report I'd read the front and back covers of the book only. I was imaginative enough to create a passable book report from just that. 
    For a few years of my life, mostly while I went to college, I was the graveyard shift security guard at a fiberglass plant.  It was then that I discovered what I had been missing and how wonderful and enlightening books are.  I read all of the classics they tried to force me to read in school and loved them.  I read every kind of book I could get my hands on. 
    Anyway, to get back into it I'm going to reread an excellent book I first read almost twenty years ago, Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose.  It's about Jefferson, The Louisiana Purchase, but mostly it's about the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  It's one of my favorite books of all time.  What an adventure! 
    The thing that I took away mostly from the book was how different men were back then.  Those guys truly had brass balls. 
     Anyway, if you like adventure and history I very highly recommend this book.

Good to know you're doing better. And that's a beautiful story.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #35 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 6:27am

Just started the John Silence stories by Algernon Blackwood. One of the first occult detectives.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 11:13am

Hold on a god damn second. Slyngorm, your profile picture is Twig from the Edge Chronicles. Have I... have I finally found another Edge Chronicles fan?
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:33am by Kick »  

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:02pm

You have, my friend. And I am equally glad that I found you.
This one is my favorite.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:32am

I have to say, Beyond the Deepwoods, being the first one I read and the most nostalgic for me, is my favourite but The Curse of the Gloamglozer is also one of my favourites. I read through the entire series again a few years ago and the whole time I was worried it wouldn't be as good as when I read them as a kid. No need to worry, still fantastic series. The only other person I know who's read them and loved them is my sister. I'm actually considering getting an Edge Chronicles tattoo at some point I'm that much of a fan Cheesy

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #39 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 5:07am

I loved LotSP because the entire arc where they first make their skycrafts and then fly them through the deepwoods feels so free. It is my favourite part of any book ever. I also enjoyed the Twig saga but I had some kind of disdain for Quint. He felt too perfect but the setting of CotG certainly was mysterious and I understand your enthusiasm. 

Have you read the Cade saga? It is the very final ending to the series and they reveal the entire secret behind the edge so to say.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #40 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 7:21am

I like the Edge Chronicles too, brilliantly creative  Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #41 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:07pm

A third one!?
The most awesome community has the highest concentration of the most awesome book series.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:28pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 5:07am:
Have you read the Cade saga?

Only The Nameless One. Haven't got the other two yet.

JudoP wrote on Mar 9th, 2021 at 7:21am:
I like the Edge Chronicles too, brilliantly creative  Smiley

Another one!? Damn I should have brought them up earlier.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #43 - Mar 10th, 2021 at 7:12am

Slyngorm wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:03am:
Just finished the 5 first Conan novels.
So far I am quite intrigued and I can definitely understand how he has slipped into the general pop culture along the lines of Frankenstein and Star Wars.

The setting especially were fascinating, with ancient cities already ancient in ancient times, even more ancient civilisations and separate lineages of people descendent from apes. And of course the little nods towards real historic entities.
I have got to read some more some day.

REH basically created the modern heroic fantasy genre.
One of my all time favourite authors and poets.

Always thought if I got a time machine I'd go back and stop him committing suicide.
The guy was really just hitting his stride when he killed himself. 

The later stuff set in the west was just genius.

Other ways he's influenced modern literature.
Take the jack reacher series - reacher is basically the modern conan.
Loner who's just so hard he can go anywhee and do anything without worrying about other people.

Along with peter o'donnell, Robert Ervin Howard is probably one of the most underrated authors of all time.

Don't bother with the posthumous conan books. Just trash.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #44 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 7:02am

Thanks for the tips! I have to get around to read more of him.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)