Reading any books? (Read 13613 times)
Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Reading any books?
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:56pm

Re-reading Dies the Fire.  The first three books in the series, at least.  They're my favorites.  Imagine a world were all high technology suddenly stops.  Those who can sling and/or make slings would be in high demand.  Sadly slinging doesn't play a role in the books, they did lead me to think about what weapons would still be useful in such a world, which lead me here. 

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 8:57am

Just fiinished Long Range by C J Box. Waiting for Blue Sky to come out.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 9:15am

Oxnate wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:56pm:
Re-reading Dies the Fire.  The first three books in the series, at least.  They're my favorites.  Imagine a world were all high technology suddenly stops.  Those who can sling and/or make slings would be in high demand.  Sadly slinging doesn't play a role in the books, they did lead me to think about what weapons would still be useful in such a world, which lead me here. 

Read abook on that principle by one of the old time sf writers - can't remember exactly what it was called or who wrote it but i do remember which part of my library it's in - I'll go look.

basically alien machines suddenly pop up out of the earth and shut off all electricical activity above the voltages and currents that organic life uses to work.
So petrol cars don;t work -,but diesel cars do (don't use spark plugs)
Can't remmeber if gunpowder works or not.
Bugger it I'll go look....

Fade Out by patrick Tilley.
Worth a look
Not that old 1999.
Most of my library is older Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 2:44pm

As I've mentioned before, since tRump was "elected" I haven't been able to read a complete book.  I can't tell you exactly why; that's just one of the ways my depression manifested itself.  I used to be an avid reader with a frequent flyer card at Barnes and Nobel. 
    Now that he's dethroned I suppose once my PTTD (Post Traumatic tRump Disorder) wears off I'll be able to enjoy reading again. 
    I have a ton of great books here.  There's a wonderful one on the Lewis and Clark expedition (I don't recall the author) that's worth a reread.  I'll probably dig that one up shortly.
    My favorite books are The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart.  If Chrissie didn't take them they're due for a reread too. 

Edit: Dies the Fire looks good.  I'll check that out the next time I'm at Barnes and Nobel.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2020 at 6:45pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 8:47am

I just got done reading the entire hunger game series.
It might be outside the intended age for most people on this forum but I absolutely loved it.

Rat Man wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 2:44pm:
   As I've mentioned before, since tRump was "elected" I haven't been able to read a complete book.  I can't tell you exactly why; that's just one of the ways my depression manifested itself.  I used to be an avid reader with a frequent flyer card at Barnes and Nobel. 
    Now that he's dethroned I suppose once my PTTD (Post Traumatic tRump Disorder) wears off I'll be able to enjoy reading again. 
    I have a ton of great books here.  There's a wonderful one on the Lewis and Clark expedition (I don't recall the author) that's worth a reread.  I'll probably dig that one up shortly.
    My favorite books are The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart.  If Chrissie didn't take them they're due for a reread too. 

Edit: Dies the Fire looks good.  I'll check that out the next time I'm at Barnes and Nobel.

That sounds rough!
I hope you have gotten better and reading since you posted this.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 9:41am

I'm rereading The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:00pm

I just finished "The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough. 2nd time reading it. He weaves a very engaging narrative of their development and why he thought they were so successful. I would recommend it. Probably my favorite non-fiction book.

Now I'm onto some fantasy with Brandon Sanderson.

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 1:46am

finished albert camus "the fall" I didn't like it, I liked "the stranger" more, now I'm re-reading "The conquest of happiness"  by Bertrand Russell

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 3:37am

I will start reading Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 8:42am

I'm currently reading The Blade Itself, which is the first book in Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy.  I'm almost 2/3 of the way through it and really enjoying it.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:01am

The first law trilogy is solid. Thoroughly enjoyed that. I didn't like his spin offs in the same world. Just don't have the same punch.

Just started "Highlander" by Newark

Nonfiction history. Enjoyable so far. Is helping me get british history a bit straighter in my head.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 4:20pm

Henning Mankell's detective novels.
C. J Box game warden series
Lee Child's Reacher series

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 4:52am

Chrysalids by John Wyndham... audio book though, no real bookshops here.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:16am

The Lost One. It's the biography of actor Peter Lorre.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:57am

currently reading Airman by eoin colfer.

Kinda brutal so far, way more adult than the artemis fowl books.

Oh yeah, don't bother with the artemis fowl film - it's total rubbish.

As far as actual physical books go - I pretty much just read e-books these days.

A cheap e-book reader is - in my opinion - an essential item.
Just make sure it's got an actual e-ink screen and NOT lcd.
I get about three weeks on a single charge.

You can use a smart phone or tablet - i started on my sharp zaurus organisers about 20 years ago, before e-book readers were an actual thing - but they're just not as good as the analog e-ink screens and you need to keeo charging them up.

The way I see it, from about the age of 10 to about my mid thirties, I read many thousands books, and even after having to leave my first library behind when we moved back to the uk, I've still got a personal library of about 3,000 books.
I've paid my dues on both library fees and actual book sales Smiley

I will occasionally still buy e-books if there's a good deal on baen books. But for the most part I pirate them.
And yes the latest jack reacher is available as a pirate e-book about 3 milliseconds after it hits an actual bookshop.
you can even buy special book digitisers to automatically scan and convert physical books to e-nooks.

That said amazon are largely to blame. As they release pretty much everything as an ebbok these days and there are a LOT of programs around that will easily remove the drm from the book files and turn them into plain non-specific ebooks.

Although I guess if you want to apportion blame to anyone for starting the whole media pirating culture, you need to blame governments and Libraries.
When they started lending records and videos to people - who promptly took them home and copied them - that's where the whole pirate culture started.
Government sponsored, as it were.
And when dvd's replaced video cassettes you could spend about £5 a month and rent as many dvd's as you could get posted to you, copied and sent back.
I used to figure a turnaround of about 3 days per film.

The whole netflix and subscription video insdustry also make it way too easy to access their content without paying. 

my nook simply touch (once jailbroken, probably the next ebook ever made) currently has a folder of 3,800 amazon format mobi books. That covers just about every category you can think of - so I'm working my way through that.

If you want genuinely free book - go take a look at project gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/

It's where I started with ebooks, way back in e-book pre-history.

But my book reader is right up there with my tassimo coffee machine with things that - if they ever break - will be replaced asap if not sooner.
You can keep your television and smart phones - but try and take my books and coffee away and there will be trouble ! 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris)