Send Topic Print
Reading any books? (Read 13619 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Reading any books?
Reply #105 - Nov 11th, 2021 at 3:21pm

interesting
Slyngorm wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:34pm:
At night, the streets of their cities were filled with demons.
in what way? every night it's halloween? Tongue or curfew?

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #106 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 2:33am

Sarosh wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 3:21pm:
interesting
Slyngorm wrote on Nov 11th, 2021 at 2:34pm:
At night, the streets of their cities were filled with demons.
in what way? every night it's halloween? Tongue or curfew?

Basically, they dared not leave their houses at night else they would risk possesion or attacks by demons.
So, a halloween curfew I guess.

Edit: to clarify a bit more: this was a superstition.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2021 at 11:00am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #107 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 12:18pm

The Books of Henoch, if you want to learn about the real history of mankind and civilization and the future.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Balearic3
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #108 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 2:32pm

Reading a book WARFARE in the OLD TESTAMENT: The Organization, Weapons and Tactics of Ancient Near Eastern Armies by Boyd Seevers.

It gives a good general overview of the Judean, Egyptian, Philistine, Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian military forces (ie. weapons, armour, tactics etc.), with multiple references to the use of the sling. 

Easy to read and lots of illustrations.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #109 - Nov 12th, 2021 at 8:39pm

Balearic3 wrote on Nov 12th, 2021 at 2:32pm:
Reading a book WARFARE in the OLD TESTAMENT: The Organization, Weapons and Tactics of Ancient Near Eastern Armies by Boyd Seevers.

It gives a good general overview of the Judean, Egyptian, Philistine, Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian military forces (ie. weapons, armour, tactics etc.), with multiple references to the use of the sling. 

Easy to read and lots of illustrations.

Sounds very interesting.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #110 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 11:28pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 1st, 2021 at 3:43pm:
    I just started reading The Pioneers by David McCullough.  It's about the settling of the Ohio Valley in the late 1700s.  I can already tell it's an excellent book.

I finished The Pioneers about a week ago.  It covered the settling of the Ohio Valley from the late 1700s into the Civil War.  It is a delightful book oozing with histoy; some of it you know, probably  most you don't.  It's a little sad in that in order to settle such a pristine paradise they had to drive off the natives then destroy it but it's still a very good book for anyone who enjoys history.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #111 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 7:54pm

The books I’m reading are 1973 Ford truck shop manuals and American Marxism by Mark Levin

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #112 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 1:25pm

I just started "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales I'm only like 40 pages in but so far I'm really enjoying it.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #113 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 3:37pm

I'm on the third book (The Republic of Thieves) in Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard series.  I already mentioned the first book in this topic, but wanted to bring it up again because the second book (called Red Seas Under Red Skies) has a slinger in it!  It has pirates too, so it's lots of fun.  Cheesy

The slinger is a very minor character in the book, and the slinging only comes up during a battle near the end.  Here's a short excerpt.  To set the scene, the group we're following is currently under arrow fire from an enemy ship.

To Locke's surprise, Gwillem suddenly stood up in the midst of all this and, with a placid look on his face, began to whirl a bullet overhand in the cradle of his sling.  As his arm went up he released one of the sling's cords, and a second later the bowman on the Sovereign's quarterdeck fell backward.

This series is far from my favorite of all time, but I am enjoying it a lot.  And it was nice to see a slinger pop up in the story.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #114 - Dec 17th, 2021 at 8:17am

At least they got it right that you have to let one cord go Cheesy It still amazes me how often people don't pick up on that. Plenty of pictures of David and Goliath where the stone is in flight and both cords are still in hand...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #115 - Dec 17th, 2021 at 10:12am

currently on the second of a series by a canadian author.
violette malan.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dhulyn-Parno-Novels-One/dp/0756410460/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1...

The first one was very good.
About a couple of honourable mercenaries.

Just a random pick from my big folder of books on my nook.

recommemded Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #116 - Jan 4th, 2022 at 4:27pm

Approximately every ten years I like to reread The Complete Collection of H.P. Lovecraft.  I just bought it from Amazon Kindle for about five bucks.  I started reading it today.  What a marvelous writer he was. 
    Probably most of you seeing this have read his works already but if you haven't you're missing out on a treasure. 

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2022 at 11:42am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #117 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 8:30am

I have a complete works for rudyard Kipling and Arthur Conan Doyle.

Conan Doyle wrote a bunch of stuff other than Sherlock Holmes.
I particularly like ' The white company'.
You should be able to get it from project Gutenberg. For free.

Some cool archery stuff in there.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/903

There you go Smiley

PG is worth keeping on your bookmarks list, you'll be surprised exactly what is out of copyright.
All the hg wells and Jules Verne books, to name just two.
Great place to peruse Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #118 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 2:54pm

I find myself rereading a lot of stuff I read years ago.  I need a break from that.  Can someone recommend a good, new Science Fiction writer?  I like really weird stuff.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #119 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 7:09pm

Western sci-fi sadly ain't what it used to be. Fantasy has kind of taken up the mantle of asking questions about who we are in different situations. But Ken Liu did a translation of chinese sci-fi short stories, apparently their sci-fi market is booming. Makes me think that maybe only an ascendant power can write good sci-fi.

"Invisible planets : contemporary Chinese science fiction in translation" was fascinating, felt like a short story collection from the golden sci-fi age. There's a collection of his own short stories (not strictly sci-fi) which is quite good called "the paper menagerie and other stories"

That might scratch your itch.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)