« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:39am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Slinging tennisballs with the Y-sling
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 9:55pm

That's pretty great accuracy. I've converted my captured release Y sling into a regular y sling and I'm going to get out and see how I do with it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 10:25pm

Great slinging Jauke!  Are all the throws in this video using the "Y" release of the sling?  I saw the in sling pics topic that it can be used either way.  Great idea by the way!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 1:53am

Nice shooting Jauke!  I’m really curious how the asymmetric sling is going to compare when it arrives.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 2:59am

--

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:00am

--

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 3:57am

I found that with my Y sling. It releases instantly, there isn't that opening action in the same way as a regular sling so you have to release a lot later than a regular sling. There's almost no lag to it.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 4:25am

--

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 4:59am

No I meant to write later. Because the ammo leaves the pouch a lot quicker and isn't in contact with the pouch for as long, it isn't pulled along by the pouch and so needs to be released more "straight on" to the target. If I released earlier it would end up going far to the right. That's what I've found with mine at least when using it as a captured release sling. I still need to try it out as a regular sling but the way it should release is the same, coming out of the top of the Y pouch.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 6:17am

--

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 7:12am

Yeah that's what I've found at least.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 12:21pm

Kick wrote on Jun 18th, 2020 at 7:12am:
Yeah that's what I've found at least.

I believe this is one of the biggest sources of inaccuracy in the sling. A small timing error equates to a small change in angle, which can result in a huge lateral offset by the time the ammo reaches the target. If you remove the delay, you eliminate the need to anticipate the delay in your muscle memory and reduce training time to proficiency. I still need data to prove or disprove that theory though. Until then it’s just a theory.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 12:28pm

@Jauke, if you’re not slightly embarrassed by your last sling, you’re not learning!  There’s nothing wrong with not learning if learning isn’t the goal, but I like your experimenting mindset, and I will be proud to own one of your experimental designs, even if you’ve already improved on it.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 4:08pm

Nice slinging Jauke.  I find it easier to be accurate with tennis balls than with stones which makes perfect sense since tennis balls are all identical.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 5:34pm

I looked on my doorstep and found a package from Jauke!  I like your design on the y-sling. It has a nice feel and sound to it when I tried it too!  Maybe I’ll try to post a video after I’ve had more practice with it (but I’m way behind on sling vids, so no promises)

The jute sling looks awesome too!  Beautiful work. I’ll post a photo of that one too. Thanks Jauke!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)