Send Topic Print
George Floyd Riots (Read 8799 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
George Floyd Riots
Jun 1st, 2020 at 12:17am

The protests/riots are hitting close to home.  Center City Philadelphia is in ruins.  I'm about twenty miles away here so I'm safe.  Philadelphia has always had an excellent police force so you know it's some serious stuff when they call in the National Guard.

https://www.fox29.com/news/national-guard-to-arrive-in-philadelphia-as-citywide-...

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: George Floyd Riots
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 3:26am

I been keeping an eye on this,  as i have a friend in the middle of philly, and my family is only in the next county then you. I am so thankful we moved, so i dont have to worry too much about myself.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 6:48am

Live in Buffalo, NY. We had peaceful protests both nights this weekend. After they dispersed, the riots began. People were pulled out of cars, there was a van set on fire, and someone tried to burn city hall.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 7:01am

I’m so torn on this issue. There’s lots of good police out there but there’s some really bad apples in this particular bunch. Not only the police screwed up but the EMS involved from what I saw were not following any standard protocols I’ve heard of. Unless maybe they were trying to get him out to a safer area before starting cardiac arrest protocols.

There has been some very questionable stories about “police brutality” mixed in with the real cases like this one. Which I think just fans the division more. But this man was murdered. I can’t imagine what was going through this cops mind when he was kneeling on his neck for 7 mins straight. What other outcome did he expect to happen?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 11:03am

One of the many disturbing aspects of this is that Chauvin felt secure murdering  Floyd in broad daylight.  This illustrates how widespread and commonplace this type of abuse is. 
    On another note, as many of you know, I was an MP (among other things) in the army.  We were trained to use minimum force necessary in apprehending a subject.  If we strayed from that we were subject to disciplinary action up to a prison sentence.  The same rules are supposed to apply to civilian police but obviously don't. 
     As in most professions most police are good people.  In my town I get along with and like the police.  But sadly there are bad apples.  In  some professions a few bad apples aren't a big deal.  But would you settle for a bad brain surgeon?  A bad president? sic   In some professions a few bad apples are absolutely intolerable.  The results are what we're seeing now. 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 11:05am

The exact same thing happened in Minneapolis in 2010.  Kneeled on a man's neck to "restrain" him.  Guy died.  Family got 10 million for wrongful death.  No idea if the officer was charged with anything. 

You'd think that the PD would have stopped using the tactic after a death.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 1:33pm

Thankfully i dont live in any cities.  This situation  has gotten out of hand. I understand the protest, but the looting is ridiculous,  and totally takes away what a protest is. Plus ANITFA is a huge problem i see, and talking to my buddy who was sending me photos from the front lines in philly. Its almost like a different country. Doesnt matter what color you are, participating  in the looting. All are animals.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 3:28pm

Quote:
Its almost like a different country

unfortunately in the last 50 years this kind of thing has become pretty common.

One thing I am curious about is how many white people die in police 'custody each year in the states.

Is it just that the occasional and totally barbaric deaths of black americans makes better news ?

Yeah the policeman is down for plain murder.

And that's been done.

We had riots in the uk a few years back for similiar reasons.

Protests I can understand.
But in the areas where riots happen, many of the businesses and properties  are owned by ethnic folk.
It's just criminal pure and simple.

I know trump wants to shoot people - me I like water cannon.

The really sad thing is that for those of us observing the states from the outside these last few years - there is nothing surprising about this whole situation.
When you have a man in charge who boasts that he could murder someone in broad daylight and get away with it - how surprising is it when those who look up to him do that very thing.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 1:09am

The death was tragic and senseless. The riots are even more so. I’m a little confused on the motive behind Floyd’s death being so quickly labeled racism though.  Maybe it was. Maybe not. I’ve seen reports that the police officer worked with Floyd off duty as security at a club. How do we know it was racial and not just an inter-personal disliking?  A murder of a coworker is not reason to set the country on fire, so the truth is kinda important here.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 1:32am

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 6:30am

I hope it's not all just forgotten about next year.
I think if people are willing to make a stand for themselves we should support them in our own individual way.

Also, if you're going to a riot yourself, please DON'T bring a sling.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 7:17am

I understand,  that the cop went too far, with excessive force. I have had it done to me in NJ years ago. I got long hair, and a  beard. So most cops thought i had a weapon or drugs on me. I have never been arrested before.  But the guy was trying to use a fake $20,  that right there is a crime. The looting a cheesecake factory restuarant, and all these liquor  stores getting robbed. Its ridiculous, mostly young kids doing this stuff, who never were properly disciplined as children due to society, and thier personal environment growing up. My own personal experience with black on white crime, i just became another statistic, but thats a totally unrelated to this situation. 

But as Tomas said about it 'getting forgotten 'it most likely will unfortunately.  Its been happening like that the last few years with these riots. They go on for a few weeks, everything calms down. People keep talking about it for a few months, then everything goes calm until the next 'incident ' happens. Its just a cycle that we have been going through the last few years.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 8:48am

Rat Man wrote on Jun 2nd, 2020 at 1:32am:

1. As vetryan noted, not all police brutality is racism. You can make the data say whatever you want it to.
2. Even if there is systemic racism, that doesn’t justify the looting and destruction. Nobody is saying that the peaceful protesters are doing anything wrong, but why would excessive force in Minneapolis justify burning businesses that have nothing to do with the police in California or Texas?
3. Even if the data on systemic racism was completely honest, scientific, and apolitical... That doesn’t prove that the Floyd case was racially motivated. Since the Floyd case is being used as a pretense for riots, if Floyd’s death was not racism, then the whole thing is based on false pretenses.

The truth matters, and we shouldn’t be so quick to jump to conclusions.  Otherwise we do more damage in the name of a fake “justice”.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 4:07pm

Well as I see it, the protests are about police brutality, it just so happens minorities in the states are disproportionally subjected to that brutality. Having a cop kneel on someone's kneck for 8+ minutes, while 3 of their colleagues stand around like it's ok, that right there is enough to protest even before you mention the guy who was murdered was black.
vetryan15 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2020 at 7:17am:
But the guy was trying to use a fake $20

I know the US has the death penalty in some states, but it's not usually administered on the street, by a cop, before the guy has even been charged with anything. I haven't heard the death penalty being handed down for a forged $20 before either.

I don't condone the violence that has been going on, but I see it as really quite understandable. People feel powerless. Who do you call if the police are the ones killing you and you know that the case will just get swept under the rug? They'll get a slap on the wrist and then will move one city over and be back on the beat before the funeral is over. If this same situation happened in Finland, there wouldn't be mass riots in cities across the country because the police here are held accountable and the people trust that justice will be done. Bad cops over here aren't shielded and let off with a warning so people don't feel powerless and then don't try to take that power back by pushing back. Another point is how many of these instances of violence have been exacerbated if not outright started by the police. Badge numbers hidden, body cameras mysteriously losing hours of footage, dressed in military garb with sticks, guns and mace. Look at the difference between this and the lockdown protests. People turning up with AR15s and the police let them walk right into capitol buildings. Again, I don't want people to be violent, I don't want anything to be burnt to the ground, but, quite frankly, you Americans shouldn't be surprised by this. This was coming for a long time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/awfuleverything/comments/gv57ho/philadelphia_pd_putting...

pquf2euuqi251.jpg (61 KB | 25 )
pquf2euuqi251.jpg

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 4:36pm

One other quick thing about Trump standing outside that church holding up a Bible:

Matthew 6:5

And I'm not even religious...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)