George Floyd Riots (Read 8797 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: George Floyd Riots
Reply #30 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 9:40am

Morphy wrote on Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:28am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 10:51pm:

I fear the nuance she’s clearly laying out will fall on deaf ears. I’m afraid to read the comments because I suspect they will be accusing her of things she clearly lays out multiple times in the course of one short video. Probably not great for blood pressure. The 24/7/365 “Media” we have has made sure few people care about anything beyond a buzzword or a headline.

People will believe what they want, but intellectually honest people are willing to listen to facts and change their views when presented with new information that debunks their original interpretation. I have no interest in reasoning with unreasonable people. By definition that’s a waste of time, but I also assume that many people just don’t have all of the important information.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 11:45am

What if the information is out there and people refuse to acknowledge it? 

That means they are a Nazi and I can hit them?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 1:45pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jun 4th, 2020 at 11:45am:
What if the information is out there and people refuse to acknowledge it? 

That means they are a Nazi and I can hit them?

As a general rule it’s best not to try to reason with unreasonable people. In my experience, people who call other people Nazis (obviously excepting cases of  self-proclaimed Nazis or actors pretending to be historical Nazis)
A) don’t really know what a Nazi is. They just “culturally appropriate” the Nazi as a symbol of evil to shut down the conversation.
B) aren’t interested in engaging in an honest dialog.
C) Would find some other excuse to start punching  people who disagree with them anyway if you took away the Nazi excuse.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 2:06pm

https://youtu.be/GjKXCXtstc4

https://youtu.be/tyILjGn96gw

And this last one gave me chills. Hard to watch: (NSFW by the way)

https://youtu.be/z_IjvBQwIAQ

Hopefully I’m not literally Hitler for posting this...

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #34 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 4:16pm

If I had been born a Black man there's a good chance I'd be burning stuff down.  My memories go back to the '50s.  I can remember separate restrooms and separate schools for "Coloreds"  I can remember Black people having to sit on the back of the bus, Black church burnings, etc., etc., etc.  Just when it looked like America had made some real progress extremists took over and we're right back in the '50s.  Racists who would have been ostracized prior to 2016 are emboldened.  Now it's normal.  This mess was due to happen.  If the Floyd murder hadn't occurred something else would have. If I was  Black I'd be pretty frustrated and pissed off right now. 
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2020 at 6:50pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #35 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 2:53pm

Right or wrong, these big protests are blowing the lid off of the quarantine.  There's a good chance they'll cause a second wave of Covid 19.  Hopefully the warmer weather will help.  As I said earlier, I'm retired so I'm staying hidden until further notice.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #36 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:19am

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #37 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 6:20am

Lots of local protests were supposed to happen in Gloucester county yesterday.  Not sure why, nothing really happens in that area

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 6:54am

Kick wrote on Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:19am:

The biggest refutation to what she’s saying is all the hard working black people that have made a nice life for themselves. What did they do that the looters haven’t done?  Many of them came from poverty. Success is more about every day choosing to work towards what you want most instead of what you want right now.

We have a huge Nigerian community here in Houston. On average the Nigerian median income is higher than the average median income for whites in America. I’ve worked with many of them and for right or wrong most of them have no patience for people complaining about the unfairness of life. They work their ass off and by and large do better than the long time citizens of this country. For this reason there is a rift between Nigerians and American born blacks in Houston. My old boss came from Nigeria and works as hard as any two people I’ve met. He’s also built up a thriving business worth millions. He was on welfare and food stamps before his business took off. No complaining just hard work.

Most of my partners have been black since moving here to Houston. All hard workers, several going to school to increase their income and several in confidence just between us have told me they don’t like being called “white” or Uncle Tom or Oreo by their black friends when they study hard and try to get ahead.

All the things she’s alluding to like slavery and Jim Crow are things she never lived through. The police DO need better training. I agree. But we will never get to a point where this type of stuff never happens. Because we are human and there’s always going to be bad people that slip into positions of power. 

All these protesters deny all the data we have on police shooting of different races. If you want to protest when some turd murders a black man in cold blood I’m all for it. If you can point out inequality in our laws and communities specifically I’m all for fixing it. But that’s not what this is about. Most of the rioting and looting is people wanting to break stuff and get free stuff. This is not how to win people to your side.

EDIT: My bad if that came off harsh. It’s directed more at the lady in the video than you. Problem with this issue is most people have good and bad points and me refuting some of her points doesn’t mean I disagree with everything she’s saying.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2020 at 7:56am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #39 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 8:47am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52954305

In my backyard...

In general I'm not for tearing down statues of historical figures as such movements tend to be extremely tone deaf to context of the times and society that person lived in, but I think that Colston was far enough on the wrong side of history (heavy involvement in the slave trade) and this isn't nearly offset by his philanthropy and general wealth he generated in/for Bristol. Additionally I can imagine that his extreme prominence within Bristol is not a good vibe to send out to any minority peoples. On balance I'm quite sympathetic to removal.

However... this isn't the right way to do it. Whether a statue is removed or not should be a democratic decision, I don't want it taken on my behalf by a mob.

And actually far worse than the removal itself is the apologist take:
"People tried to do it through official channels and it got bogged down/modified- so we had to take it into our own hands" I actually think this is quite a frightening attitude to see defended in the mainstream, the -not too subtly hidden- idea that the law only applies to you when you agree with it. I'm enough of a non-conformist, and I'm aware enough of the extreme radicalism found in sections of these movements to be deeply disturbed by the prospect of mob rule.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 10:11am

I never understood teargas use. How is chemical weapons use a crime and yet every developed country uses it? why would you spray taxpayers with a carcinogen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Protocol

I got a glimpse of racism when traveling in croatia (2018). There I learned what it feels like.
I ended up in a cell and got slapped. Purpose of detention: to get departed to Bosnia because I looked like Syrian. I'm EU citizen  "You look like Syrian"  "your ID could be forged" This convinced me that police is just an institutionalized and well funded gang.
Policemen can forget how to speak english when you ask for their ID number  but they are good enough to call you asshole when they are in a group of 5.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #41 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 10:25am

I have talked to a few of my friends who are black about the Floyd protests and riots, and I can see how some might feel like my posting of Ben Carson or Candace Owens is insensitive. Even if there is no institutional racism, bad experiences loom large in the memories of those who have been discriminated against. I agree with what I posted, but this may not be the time for facts and statistics when people feel hurt and like they don’t have a voice. Here is a much better sentiment for the times, even though it was said 4 years ago:

https://waysidechapel.org/sermon-archive/love-one-another/

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 11:05am

I don't think emotions are bad, they tell you something's wrong here. Don't ask from victims of injustice to keep calm, ask for justice. because it happens in HK, it happened to me and it can happen to anybody. I'm not the exception and you aren't either.
what did I do when I got slapped? I asked "what?". There is a time to keep calm and a time to protest.

please don't focus on property when people are murdered

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #43 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 11:59am

This whole movement isn’t really about Floyd. He is a symbol for the injustices that others have experienced.

Every reasonable person  should agree that
-there is injustice
-injustice is bad, no matter who it happens to
-you can’t fix injustice with more injustice

The last point makes the rioters unreasonable. There is no justice in smashing up the place where you live. And, Sarosh, you are absolutely correct that it’s not about the property. Don’t forget that more people have died in two weeks of riots than die from excessive police brutality in the US in a year. Forget the property destruction. The rioters are hurting themselves, hurting innocent people, and invalidating  their own message. They don’t seem to care about injustice caused by themselves (see point #2 above), and that makes them look selfish instead of bravely fighting for a righteous cause.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:04pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 11:59am:
Don’t forget that more people have died in two weeks of riots than die from excessive police brutality in the US in a year.

I'd like to see the numbers. sources?

If the state can't control the police how do you expect the policemen to control the rioters. Apply the existing laws on policemen and believe me protests will calm and riots will stop. first close the hole then get the water out of the boat.

Matthew 7:5

These discussions are better in person it takes too much time on here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)