Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
George Floyd Riots (Read 8874 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: George Floyd Riots
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 5:29pm

Wait... Kick are you suggesting that a politician is a hypocrite?!  How dare you?!  LOL Smiley
I don’t think you needed to quote the Bible or be religious to believe that politicians do things for the publicity.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 5:59pm

The main problem now is that the police are committing acts of brutality at the protests against police brutality. Geniuses obviously.

https://github.com/2020PB/police-brutality/blob/master/README.md#Table-of-Conten
ts

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 8:24pm

The other problem is that there are protesters and there are rioters. The rioters are injuring others and setting things on fire... fires that can kill (remember Greece a few years ago?).  Rioters are using the peaceful protests as cover for theft and vandalism.  Police aren’t being brutal in most cases when the protesters are not already out of control, and even then, police are not killing people. Police are generally doing their jobs trying to maintain order and prevent a bigger tragedy. If it was my job to protect the city, I would probably show less restraint than most of the police have. It takes a lot of patience to be a police officer in normal times. They have to be superhuman to not become the thing they’re being accused of when a mob is throwing insults, rocks, and Molotov cocktails at them.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 8:36pm

Edit: Original link too long... https://bit.ly/2XSmc3e

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2020/06/02/richmond-police-chief-cho
kes-up-explaining-how-protesters-blocked-burning-house-with-child-inside-n256989

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 11:52pm

White cop strangles a handcuffed, helpless Black man to death in broad daylight while three other cops watch.  Is it racially motivated?  If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck.
    I don't condone the rioting and looting but it's certainly understandable.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 9:33am

Well and that's the problem. Any one of the litany of examples that are brought up are either
A. Tragedies that are understandable when looked at closely
or
B. Part of a larger trend that is being swept under the rug

Which interpretation you find compelling is decided well before any particulars come out. The dangerous part is the BLM philosophy (really critical race theory watered down and diffused) where they explicitly reject all processes of justice as being tainted by racism. So there can be no justice because there is no trusted process. This makes any case matter less because no matter what conclusion was reached
"We all KNOW it was REALLY RACISM".

It's a nonfalsifiable worldview that's long on criticism and short of any tangible solution. And one that, in my view, tends to brings out violence. I've listened to this theory, from PhDs no less. I don't agree with it and that disagreement in some people's eyes makes me a racist. And that is a problem.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 9:59am

My favorite is being called “literally Hitler” for having a balanced centrist view on this event. I do wish they would occasionally mix it up and call people figuratively Hitler, or perhaps hypothetically Hitler.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 10:22am

Morphy wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 9:59am:
My favorite is being called “literally Hitler” for having a balanced centrist view on this event. I do wish they would occasionally mix it up and call people figuratively Hitler, or perhaps hypothetically Hitler.

LOL! Gotta love Godwin’s law! Let’s just carry this to it’s absurd conclusion.  How about this:

“Morphy, I disagree with your viewpoint, and I know I’m right. Therefore you are the effigial love child of Hitler and the demon temptress Succubus  (Even though I am referencing demons, I’m still an agnostic atheist who is deeply offended by your backwards Bible-thumping ways). Because your very nature is evil and racist, and because you also hate women and all people with brown skin regardless of their cultural backgrounds, I do not have to listen to you.  I am also fully justified in any verbal abuse or physical violence I may commit against you in the name of peace because I am good and you are bad. “
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:37pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 11:50am

The whole thing is a mess. I don't think either 'side' comes out looking clean at all... and frankly the whole thing is incredibly depressing to see unfold.

The worst of the protester/rioters are far left ideologues who are driven by a religion of identity and class based hatred. This ideology bleeds into the mainstream and poisons the movement. I want to throw my full support behind the protests, but I can't because of this.

Meanwhile vast strains of underground white nationalism clearly still remain in America, combined with widespread ignorance or apathy to black people still having to deal with unequal/racist outcomes. The fact is that as an innocent black person you simply have a lot more to fear from police. This isn't necessarily due to racism (as black people are over-represented in crime too) but it's an unfair outcome and people don't seem too interested in tackling the problem. Add that to the tinderbox of potentially anybody on the street having a gun, and all cops having guns and it's a recipe for innocents being shot for their skin colour.

Now violence and vandalising innocent individuals properties is a lose-lose, but at the same time it doesn't surprise me that it is happening for the reason given above and many others. These people are angry and have no recourse for these injustices.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:55pm

It’s really not complicated. How about this: don’t treat other people like trash and judge people’s actions instead of judging motivations.

Eph 4:26-Be angry, and do not sin.

There are lot of reasons to be angry. Even so, that does not justify doing the wrong thing... not even if you are doing it against someone you think is a racist.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 2:23pm

One problem with this is that protests and the expression of anger has been where the progress has been made. Suffragettes threw an axe at the British Prime Minister and threw themselves under the King's horse. They were loud and violent and women won the vote. The Poll Tax riots are the reason no-one pays Poll Tax. I've never understood (I'm not saying you are saying this NOOC) those people that complain about a protest being disruptive. That's the point! A protest that's quiet and can be ignored might as well not happen. There can be peaceful protests that are disruptive of course, but, and I'm sorry I don't make the rules on this and I wish it wasn't like this, violence works. If it didn't, armies wouldn't exist.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 2:47pm

Violence can work. Absolutely. But Violence does not always bring results nor are the results you get the ones you want. Violence and nonviolence alike did not free India from British rule. Ukraine's recent violence brought change and then invasion.

These violent protests will bring some change. My prediction is that it will not be the change the protesters want.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 10:51pm

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:28am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 10:51pm:

I fear the nuance she’s clearly laying out will fall on deaf ears. I’m afraid to read the comments because I suspect they will be accusing her of things she clearly lays out multiple times in the course of one short video. Probably not great for blood pressure. The 24/7/365 “Media” we have has made sure few people care about anything beyond a buzzword or a headline.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 9:35am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)