Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: To spin the sling or not

Spin (as with balearic, helicopter, etc)    
  12 (48.0%)
No spin (as with greek, byzantine, fig8 etc)    
  13 (52.0%)

Total votes: 25
« Created by: AncientCraftwork on: May 28th, 2020 at 7:39am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
To spin the sling or not (Read 6566 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: To spin the sling or not
Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 1:17pm

Currently I've settled on simply using both. I use the diagonal overhand cast with rotor with a shorter and slightly thicker sling of an arms length long for target practice and accuracy, with a preference for ball shaped stones or spherical clay shot. I use the tight grip as it is very secure with rotations. My accuracy this way feels the best as it follows a very instinctive throwing motion. But using this sling and this projectile feels subpar for distance

But for distance I will use a different sling and style, I will use a powerful full body Greek cast with a very thin sling and a very wide grip, with the sling being the length of my extended arm to almost the opposite shoulder. The lack of rotations means I can get very good pouch angles with the extrem thin slings, using a sidearm release with a straight arm (first the hip, followed by the torso, and then primarily the shoulder, then followed by the arm.)  The distance I achieve is greater than anything I have reached ( around 220 meters so far with 60-80 gram elongated pebbles on flat ground,with sea level altidue and a side wind.) The general ammo I would use for this sling is sub 100 gram elongated pebbles, or lead and clay biconicals or tear drops.
But using this sling and this way of throwing feels sub par for short distance target practice as it is not the way we throw naturally, but the distance I get is doubled compared to my target sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 8:59pm

There are a couple reasons I choose not to spin (aka, spin only once), both relating to how I learned. One is that it tires out your arm a bit. While this isn't a big deal for many stones slingers use, I learned on around 150 - 200 gram stones (sometimes bigger). Plenty of slingers do use these stones and also spin, but I have wimpy arms and prefer to cut the corners I can. The other reason is hesitation. I find that when I'm spinning something, I hesitate while trying to find the right moment to throw. With no spin, there is no hesitation because there is no timing with your spin. You sling or you don't. This is more of a problem if you are overthinking slinging, I don't struggle with this really anymore. But this could apply to beginners, so it might be helpful to learn with no spin.

I don't think any of this really matters if you get good enough. I think Jaegoor has mentioned that rabbits or something don't pay attention to the spinning, so it might be a way to cut down on the time of a slinging motion for hunting.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #32 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 2:59am

Some wild rabbits are really stupid, other kinds of rabbit or hare will sprint away at the seeing just slight motion from a hundred meters

Last night I was slinging at a target with a simple 1-2-3 rotor and then diagonal overhand cast (3 rotors in 3 counts then cast on the third count). I think this is the way for the rotor, instill in yourself a select certain amount of turns and stick with it instead of spinning it around a number of times randomly. The counting to 3 and then throw on the third might also help with clearing the mind from distractions

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #33 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:27am

helicopter spin before release, personally. Gets me in the zone, and adds a bit of extra exercise too 😝

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 2:50pm

I like this demonstration of Greek style.. I do similar
https://youtu.be/e12pRrHitJ0
I have to coil my body backwards for a distance cast.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 8:38pm

As j stated in regards to hunting variability is from one end of the spectrum to the other.

As a bow hunter I can say in my own experience that rabbits can just lay low and “hide” or sprint as fast as they can and everything in between.
One property I hunt if the rabbits smell hear or see you and they’re are out of there faster than anything. But I hunted one spot one time and the rabbits there would have an arrow barely miss them and just continue on grazing , allowing another shot. Hunting is so variable in that way.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #36 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:50am

The hares around where we used to live were very acclimated to humans and even dogs. You could get within 3m and they wouldn't move. I even spun an empty sling above my head and they did mostly run off, but it would have been very possible to hit one. Birds as well I have seen be completely fearless.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:18am

So true. My experience with rabbits is they are nuts at the sanest of times. Rabbits basically are the prey version of cats when it comes to the nonsense they do.

As for spin or no spin... geez. Hard question.

Now Im starting to wonder if one could use a thick, stiff sling designed specifically for something like the apache to get a good throw.

I mean...theoretically there should be some kind of benefit to no spin throws like the apache.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #38 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:40pm

Apache gives you a very quick release that doesn't give game a chance to react, of course.  And it's reasonably accurate. Its drawback is range.  I can get twice as much distance with other styles.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 4:08pm

I spin the sling for a couple of reasons, but the number of rotations depends on whether I'm trying to throw fast or for maximum accuracy.
I think it was Vegetius that said experienced slingers do one rotation before throwing. The first part of this video is my interpretation of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3j2IH7AlNE&lc=UgyV_6-wLEdnWY-IeSF4AaABAg
When I want more precision (i.e targets at a further distance), I do more rotations to relax into the right position.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 6:10pm

I use both Greek without spin and Byzantine and Balearic style

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 1:25am

@albion Can you also get those balls to fly straight? I did it with a longer Balearic sling, no side curvature on tennisball at all + side arm style. That blew my mind

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 12:35pm

yeah it's sort of horses for courses.
I do windups for distance slinging, but not for most things.

You don't really gain anything with a short to medium sling.

But with a long distance sling the gradual speed buildup does really help.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy)