Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: To spin the sling or not

Spin (as with balearic, helicopter, etc)    
  12 (48.0%)
No spin (as with greek, byzantine, fig8 etc)    
  13 (52.0%)

Total votes: 25
« Created by: AncientCraftwork on: May 28th, 2020 at 7:39am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
To spin the sling or not (Read 6482 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: To spin the sling or not
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2020 at 12:15pm

That brings up an interesting point Greenjay.  How many rotations does it take before it becomes a spin?  Morphy mention using approximately two rotations.  As do I.  But these rotations are part of an overall sequence of motions.

Sometimes I get the sling spinning, and just keep it moving until I feel like going into the throw.  But this isn't often, and just when playing around.  Never when target slinging.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:51pm

I like to spin or rotate most of the time.  It gives me a moment to orient myself and to get the feel of the projectile in the sling.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #17 - May 29th, 2020 at 8:56pm

Greenjay wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 11:44am:
I personally find that with practice you can gauge the weight of the stone with only one rotation, and I don't think that there's any real difference in power by adding more.

When you say one rotation, do you mean one full rotation before the windup and throw?

I used to do the Greek style for quite a while, but it order to throw powerfully The hand holding the stone had to give it a bit of 'kick' to speed it up before release. Was never able to gauge the weight of the projectile properly as one applies force almost as soon as the stone is released from the hand. However I can see if one threw lightly with the style they may be able to gauge it a bit better. Upon switching to Balearic, my range and accuracy improved quite a bit (I throw inconsistent river stones).
But if what you are doing works for you, stick with it by all means.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #18 - May 30th, 2020 at 10:12am

I usually spin once underhand to "get a feel" for the weight of the particular stone, (Which may or may not actually affect anything) and then do an Apache with a single overhand spin.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - May 30th, 2020 at 10:20am

I do think feeling the weight of the projectile helps, even if it's just working out (or "feeling" out I guess) how much power to put into the shot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:12pm

"When you say one rotation, do you mean one full rotation before the windup and throw?"

A rotation as a part of Byzantine style.

Ps how do you Mark a quote.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:23pm

I think if a rotor works for you that’s all that matters.

For me though I only see two uses for rotors. One, if you’re forced to use inconsistent ammo where you actually need to gauge the weight and two if you are hunting game that are in cover. One person maintains the rotor while the other flushes the game. As soon as the game bolts you can get the shot off.

Gauging weight though with rotors is sort of like using extra long arrows when you have primitive arrows of differing spines. Maybe it’s a bandaid for a less than ideal situation but better to avoid the situation in the first place if you can.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #22 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:47am

Your examples are good Morphy.  I remember experiencing the second one when we were doing the Pendulum Challenge.  The rotor was started, (thanks for providing the term, I wasn't familiar with it), and the throw was made when the target was in the desired location.

I have the video of that here if anyone is curious and hasn't seen it, https://youtu.be/Z65CWWAWj7Q.

On some of the throws I go through quite a few rotations before making the throw.  Just waiting for the position of the target and the rotation of the throw to line up.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #23 - May 31st, 2020 at 1:25am

Greenjay wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 9:12pm:
"When you say one rotation, do you mean one full rotation before the windup and throw?"

A rotation as a part of Byzantine style.

Ps how do you Mark a quote.

In that case I agree with you. I think "Byzantine" does indeed give enough time to guage the weight of the projectile. Logically rotating might guage it a bit more though, perhaps at the cost of a worn out wrist down the line Wink

I just use the Quote button to the right of that button, and then write underneath.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #24 - May 31st, 2020 at 5:54am

To mark a specific part, highlight the bit you want then click Mark & Quote.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:40am

joe_meadmaker wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 12:47am:
Your examples are good Morphy.  I remember experiencing the second one when we were doing the Pendulum Challenge.  The rotor was started, (thanks for providing the term, I wasn't familiar with it), and the throw was made when the target was in the desired location.

I have the video of that here if anyone is curious and hasn't seen it, https://youtu.be/Z65CWWAWj7Q.

On some of the throws I go through quite a few rotations before making the throw.  Just waiting for the position of the target and the rotation of the throw to line up.

How have I never seen this video?? That was excellent slinging man! And the orientation of the camera directly behind the path of the projectile makes for a great shot. Yes that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Rotors are really good for that. Even if I don’t use them much myself there’s no denying the ability to have your sling ready for an instant shot has advantages.

This was the same idea I was tinkering with years ago when I was working on the “Overshoulder” throw. Which is a no rotor instant throw, like the Apache but faster to get off once in the position. Also same idea behind the Semisling.

Are you still making videos Joe? I didn’t have a chance to look through your channel. Think I have a new channel to subscribe to.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #26 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:05pm

Thanks man!  Yep, still doing videos.  Usually every two or three weeks, but no particular schedule so sometimes it's a little longer.  Most are for the Online Challenge topic.  And those are mixed in with other ideas as I have them.  I've got two in the works that I'm really excited about.  But the first of those is probably a couple weeks out yet.

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - May 31st, 2020 at 6:36pm

Kick wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 5:54am:
To mark a specific part, highlight the bit you want then click Mark & Quote.

Yeah, tried that but it still doesn't work,should mention I'm using a kindle fire so maybe that's why I'm having trouble?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 3:24am

Oh maybe. I've noticed it doesn't work on my phone, only on the laptop.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 11:00am

One rotation is still a spin.  Just sayin'.... Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)