Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How the hell do so many of you spend hours making a sling? (Read 6060 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How the hell do so many of you spend hours making a sling?
Reply #30 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 8:05am

Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.  My gymnasium was broken into.  Slings for my group were stolen.  I have to replace them.  There is also a sling project for Switzerland.  Reconstructing this slingshot is a mammoth task.  I already made a couple of replicas.  But there is new knowledge.  Then I have some orders for slings from friends.  I am a trainer for two sports groups and I work full-time as a teacher.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 8:19am

Braided slings are faster on a Marudai.
It takes a while to set up the strings and bobbins though. The action is quicker though.
My paracord slings with a leather pouch take about half an hour to do properly.
Details take time. No way around it. The more you sling the more you will demand of your sling. I use a very simple non braided sling but it has a lot of design features even at a basic level.
Don't skimp!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 9:46am

well you don't need to spend $10,000 on a robotic solution.

A reasonable programmable 4/5 axis robotic arm can be had for less than $1000 these days.
get two, teach them to braid and leave them to it Smiley

Hell get three and really go to town !

20 or 30 sold slings later and you're into profit !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 12:31pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 8:05am:
Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.  My gymnasium was broken into.  Slings for my group were stolen.  I have to replace them.  There is also a sling project for Switzerland.  Reconstructing this slingshot is a mammoth task.  I already made a couple of replicas.  But there is new knowledge.  Then I have some orders for slings from friends.  I am a trainer for two sports groups and I work full-time as a teacher.

What!?!? They stole your slings?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #34 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:02pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:21am:
Put on a movie, grab you a a cold drink and get to braiding. I've spent many hours braiding while watching movies and it's a lot of fun.

As Morphy said it. Return from work, go for a run, have a hot shower and dinner while pondering the problems of the day for a last time, and then braid in front of the TV or with some good music and a good cup of tea. It's very relaxing and will put your mind at rest. Some call it meditation  Cheesy.

Rooibos, 24 strands diamond variation (for ear rings), and otava yo it is tonight.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:32pm

Teg wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 2:02pm:
otava yo it is tonight

I love their music although I dont understand russian

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #36 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Jaegoor wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 8:05am:

SORRY to hear, but good luck on your tasks at getting everything done and figured out

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #37 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 8:58am

That’s terrible Jaegoor. I’m sorry to hear that. How many slings were stolen? Was anything else taken?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:47am

Can't stand thieves. Hopefully they brain themselves trying to use it.  Wink What a shame though you certainly make some works of art.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 1:18pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:47am:
Can't stand thieves. Hopefully they brain themselves trying to use it.  Wink What a shame though you certainly make some works of art.

Imagine losing one of Jaegoor's slings  Sad Undecided Cry

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 1:27pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 12th, 2020 at 9:46am:
well you don't need to spend $10,000 on a robotic solution.

A reasonable programmable 4/5 axis robotic arm can be had for less than $1000 these days.
get two, teach them to braid and leave them to it Smiley

Hell get three and really go to town !

20 or 30 sold slings later and you're into profit !

“Teach them to braid”
Ha! Is that all you need to do? Assuming you make around $10/sling, that’s only profit after 30 slings if you completely discount your time. That sounds like a nightmare to program several general purpose robots for braiding!  I’d rather pay $10,000 than spend months working out the software.  Plus, those $1k machines (plus the cost of grippers) are not meant to be operated close to each other. The collision avoidance capabilities come with a much heftier price tag.  You might have better luck teaching one robot arm to do kumihimo, but that still sounds like a really hard problem.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 2:06pm

SerKraus wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 1:18pm:
Morphy wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:47am:

Imagine losing one of Jaegoor's slings  Sad Undecided Cry

Probably good I don't own one because knowing me I would lol.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #42 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:39pm

I thought I made a lot of slings.  Also very difficult.  But already 1200 years before Christ someone had the idea to make one as complicated as possible.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:39pm

Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #44 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:40pm

Shocked

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick)