Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Trees/Staves/Bow Wood (Read 7998 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Trees/Staves/Bow Wood
Reply #45 - Aug 1st, 2020 at 8:37pm

Steamed the handle area for 30 minutes, put some set back in it and left it clamped 12 hours. Set dropped to a half inch! Strung the bow and shot the bow about a dozen times.
Checked the set. Back to over two inches. Think I gained (lost) an eighth of an inch of set. Angry
I'll get a pic of this bows deflex tomorrow. Then I am going to heat treat the limbs.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 3:52pm

Red oak lumber bow. It would be nice if that deflex was reflex.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 3:57pm

Heat treated the limbs today. The bow is clamped down flat. I'll be happy with any improvement, but wiil be good with an inch less set.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #48 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 3:14pm

Ya, I think you will struggle to get rid of set that way. Who knows though right? Either way I wouldn’t leave it to dry for 12 hours, pull it and expect it not to take set again. I would let it sit for awhile or maybe after 24-48 hours I would reinforce the steam bend with dry heat bending (better yet, tempering) while it’s still attached to the caul.

Your tiller seems quite good so if it were me I wouldn’t be afraid of tempering the limbs while it was clamped into reflex. Commonly people will let it sit for 3 days in neutral room humidity to let the moisture in the limb equalize throughout before pulling again after a good tempering.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #49 - May 24th, 2021 at 10:51am

How does European Beech do for bows?

Mostly sources are say its bad. Personally have found it pretty good when heated but have only used that and birch.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #50 - May 26th, 2021 at 3:56pm

Beech is a legit bow wood. I’m not sure why it would be worse for being European. Most woods work but you have to design the bows shape to the wood.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #51 - May 28th, 2021 at 2:58pm

Read that several beech species exist.
Ideas for bow shapes?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #52 - May 30th, 2021 at 7:04am

Slyngorm wrote on May 28th, 2021 at 2:58pm:
Read that several beech species exist.
Ideas for bow shapes?

Around a dozen or so. And its true species properties can vary within a genus but I would not go into it worrying too much that one species wont work right off.

Start with the limbs 2 inches wide out to midlimb then taper to 1/2 tips. Length nock to nock should be 66-70" starting out for newer bowyers.  Those are your basic dimensions for using an unknown white wood. They can vary considerably with experience in that wood and bow making skill level.

Typically you can start out with dimensions like those and end up with subsequent bows that have narrowing dimensions for increased speed. But starting out safer tends to save time in the long run.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)