Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Future Hobbies (Read 4154 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Future Hobbies
Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:16am

What are some hobbies you have always been meaning to get into but have not yet?

A couple that I’m looking at are:

Beekeeping
Kayaking
Metal Detecting

What say you?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Future Hobbies
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:04pm

Knapping, fly fishing, being a lottery winner.  I knew how to canoe almost before I could walk but I started kayaking just a few years ago.  You'll love it, Morphy.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2020 at 1:42am

Toki Pona
Magnet Fishing (we’ll just pretend the last attempt never happened)
Build a homebrew series-elastic actuator.
Phone app development
Wireless microcontrollers
Archery/home made longbow
Long range (1000+ yard) marksmanship

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2020 at 3:49am

welding (main problem money )
archery (need to become a member somewhere, paperwork and human interaction stuff Tongue )
other than that not much, there are a lot of stuff that I should get over with
a recent idea was to learn blender to make 3d animations, looked a little into it and it's daunting, haven't brushed it off yet.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:56pm

@Sarosh... welding is another one I forgot to put down... and blacksmithing

Sometimes my list of things to learn feels a lot like this:

https://youtu.be/4VbI5zcB8Ac

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2020 at 9:20pm

I'm almost ready to start my wood turning.  Just this week I received a 6 piece turning tool set that I ordered.  I have to move one more shelf in the basement, and then I'll be able to get my lathe set up.

I've also started getting interested in sword customization.  I've done a couple very small things.  I have a couple swords which I replaced the crossguard and pommel on.  They were just new parts I ordered, and the hilts are held together with a hex nut.  So again, very simple stuff.  I've recently been working on a new pommel for another sword.  This again is something I bought, but I had to drill it out and file the inside down to get it to fit.  It's still not quite ready yet (had to order a larger drill bit), but should be by the end of the week.  I think my next step is going to be making a new handle from start to finish.  Making a wooden core and wrapping it in leather is something I think I could do.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2020 at 5:01am

TOOLS tools are the problem. what would be awesome is to make a company like a gym/library/internet cafe that would have a membership and would be full of tools for welding, hammering, machining, woodworking, 3d printing , hydraulic presses, saws, sanding stuff etc
"if we can't have a lathe in every home let's have a lathe in every neighborhood " would be the slogan.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - May 7th, 2020 at 5:13am

Sarosh wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 5:01am:
what would be awesome is to make a company like a gym/library/internet cafe that would have a membership and would be full of tools

Look for makerspace or fablab.
More commercial would be a "coworking-space" with workshop.
Or contact an existing workshop for a course or similar. There is one woodworker in my vicinity who offers "make your own project" courses. Come with your idea, he will show you how to turn it on a lathe. For a charge, of course. I have seen the same with goldsmiths where you can sub-rent some space.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2020 at 5:31am

@
Teg

thanks! didn't know this stuff existed. I'm checking it out.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2020 at 5:00am

Well, slowly I am getting more into primitive selfbows.

My other goal, (not a hobby), but one I am fully focusing on and in the future, is
acquiring a homestead before my 30th birthday (I am 22 now).
It's become one of the main goals of my life and I am planning it all out. It's good to be sure of what one wants and work their way to it.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2020 at 5:26pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 5:00am:
Well, slowly I am getting more into primitive selfbows.

My other goal, (not a hobby), but one I am fully focusing on and in the future, is
acquiring a homestead before my 30th birthday (I am 22 now).
It's become one of the main goals of my life and I am planning it all out. It's good to be sure of what one wants and work their way to it.

Thats currently what i am doing. Building up my own homestead

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2020 at 6:54pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:04pm:
Knapping, fly fishing, being a lottery winner.  I knew how to canoe almost before I could walk but I started kayaking just a few years ago.  You'll love it, Morphy. 

What kind of kayak would you suggest RM? Ideally I’ve been looking at the kind you pedal with your feet because I would be able to fish while I’m moving. I think those are much more expensive than the more traditional kind though. Not sure if the trade off is worth it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - May 11th, 2020 at 7:54pm

Most of my future hobbies i just needd time to actually do it. I am looking at learning how to tan hides, build a dugout canoe. Flintknapping.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2020 at 10:36am

Teg wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 5:13am:
Look for makerspace or fablab

I haven't visited one yet and although there are many coworking spaces , there's only 1 workshop that  might have welding equipment. Most of them are oriented towards programming and 3d printing, they are interesting but what I need now is welding and a place to make noise all day!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2020 at 1:24pm

Coworking spaces are more oriented towards IT guys, freelancers, startups and so on. It's unlikely that you will find a fit there.
Makerspaces and Fablabs vary a lot in what they offer. They are oriented towards rapid prototyping / digital manufacturing technologies (3D printing, CNC, ...), but open for the general public.
For basic woodworking / metal working I would look for a community center workshop / neighborhood workshop. At least some in my vicinity offer welding.
Depending on your age, a youth center might offer something as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)