Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Re: Future Hobbies
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2020 at 8:22am

Making butter, flavored butter !
I can already make plain butter (and it's quite easy) but next time, I may try adding some cocoa powder or honey in it...

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - May 18th, 2020 at 2:20pm

Morphy wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 6:54pm:
Rat Man wrote on Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:04pm:
Knapping, fly fishing, being a lottery winner.  I knew how to canoe almost before I could walk but I started kayaking just a few years ago.  You'll love it, Morphy. 

What kind of kayak would you suggest RM? Ideally I’ve been looking at the kind you pedal with your feet because I would be able to fish while I’m moving. I think those are much more expensive than the more traditional kind though. Not sure if the trade off is worth it.

There are two basic types of kayak.  One is the kind that you sit down low inside of.  This is the type most people are familiar with I believe.  IMO these are the driest and easiest to use.  Also the most stable.  The other kind might be called an Ocean Kayak.  They're the type you sit on top of.  My two man fishing kayak is this type.  I like it but I think the former type is easier to use and more comfortable.  As far as Paddleboat type kayak, I can't comment intelligently because I've never used one.  I probably wouldn't buy one because it limits the kind of water you can kayak in.  Like you would never take it in rapids.  I'm not sure how it would behave in heavy weeds either.  If you wanted one just for fishing a calm, mostly weed free lake I guess it would be OK. Here's a couple of not so great screen captures of my big kayak.

Kayak1.jpg (179 KB | 63 )
Kayak1.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - May 18th, 2020 at 2:21pm

Kayak_2.jpg (122 KB | 51 )
Kayak_2.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - May 18th, 2020 at 5:00pm

Ahh that looks so nice! See I haven’t even considered the two person aspect yet. I think I would like the kind you sit in better. Just seems like it would be more stable. And maybe even hold more. My ideal is to bring out my radio, my cooler a couple rods and never be seen again. Well, until Monday morning.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - May 18th, 2020 at 10:36pm

I need to finish my matchlock.  I made a stock, got a barrel and had a lock roughed in.  Then I sort of sat it aside and haven't messed with it for years.  I got it out yesterday and couldn't find the lock parts.  Guess I'll have to make some more.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - May 18th, 2020 at 11:34pm

Covid has ruined my chances at a “hobby” I’ve been working on for a while, at least until next season.
Plan on catching a Australian Salmon from the shore with a bow. Finally got the equipment but it was not ment to be this year.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - May 19th, 2020 at 3:05am

I've been itching to get working on the springbow idea I have. I have 9 days (NINE!) off coming up and I'm hoping to get the parts I need then.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - May 19th, 2020 at 8:40am

Since grocery store trips are more complicated, we’ve been doing a little more “urban homesteading” out of necessity. Two of the best experiments have been homemade tortillas (with real lard... absolutely the best tasting tortillas), and homemade yogurt. The yogurt process will also work for cream cheese!  These are two foods we may never buy in a package ever again because the fresh homemade versions are far superior.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:18pm

Making yogurt is surprisingly easy.  We used to do it at home when we were kids.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:20pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 19th, 2020 at 8:40am:
These are two foods we may never buy in a package ever again because the fresh homemade versions are far superior.

I've had that experience myself.  One thing I always make myself is ranch dressing.  I found it strange that if I ordered a pizza and got a little cup of ranch dressing on the side, it was always way better than anything bottled in the stored.  One day I looked up a recipe and found it was just mayonnaise, sour cream, butter milk and spices.  Granted, all these ingredients are just store bought.  But you can add herbs and spices as you want and it's so much better than any bottled ranch dressing.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #25 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 4:35am

I would like to get into falconry.  Huntingg with raptors. But the process is soo long. Maybe in the future i will. But just from reading , and watching tye hawks, falcons and eagles fly ooverhead and watch my chickens. It makes me want to catch one

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #26 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 6:34am

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:41am by a »  

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 9:40am

I've been looking at stepping up from lead casting into zinc and aluminum casting. It'll have to wait til next year probably but it's on the to do list.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 5:23pm

Think I would like to become a bowyer.  SmileyWorking on it now.

_7_drawn.jpg (34 KB | 11 )
_7_drawn.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #29 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:02pm

Thats an awesome bow. I do plan on starting my next one, soon. Birch

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)