Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Your favorite primitive weapon after the sling? (Read 11664 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Your favorite primitive weapon after the sling?
Reply #60 - May 14th, 2021 at 2:00pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 7th, 2021 at 7:42am:
A really nicely shaped club Smiley

And you don't get much more primitive that that.
Well unless you've got a femur bone from a pretty large beast.

I don't have one Sad

I hear a donkey jawbone works well too!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #61 - May 16th, 2021 at 1:08pm

for a short club - but you wouldn't get the length.

I like around 3 feet for a club and 6 for a staff.

I reckon something like a moose femur, would work well Smiley

Alas clean moose skeletons can not be foudn in central english woods.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 12:12am

Boomerang (the non returning kind)

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #63 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 9:13pm

Is there a characteristic that distinguishes a non returning boomerang and a throwing stick?

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #64 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 11:54pm

The sling is never my most favourite weapon, too difficult and extremely risky to use! Has a 40% to hit nearby properties, cameras and people! At least for me! But if it does hit, it's JAW DROPPING AWESOME!

Most favourite will be blowgun and bow and arrows. Is rubber slingshot even considered primitive??

IP Logged

Lightning Jack
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 1:09am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 12th, 2021 at 9:13pm:
Is there a characteristic that distinguishes a non returning boomerang and a throwing stick?

Well a throwing stick could be any stick that you find on the ground, a non returning boomerang is shaped in such a way to fly further than a throwing stick like this one:

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #66 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 8:16am

The blowgun is great for accuracy but sucks in my experience in lethality. If there was a poison in my area that deactivated with heat then it would be amazing.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #67 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 10:45am

@Lightning Jack - I understand.  When I hear the term "throwing stick", I tend to think of something that has been shaped to fly well as opposed to just any old stick that you might find on the ground.  But I'm with you, a really great weapon.

Haven't yet, but someday I'm going to get a couple from these guys: https://www.throwsticks.com/.  I figure two would be better so there isn't a long walk between each throw.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #68 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 11:16am

I've come very close multiple times to buying one of the those Throwsticks. They just look so pretty, tough as nails and seem to work really well. Damn... Now I'm wanting to get one again...

The Kimberly Stinger calls to me...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #69 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 11:34am

Kick wrote on Jun 13th, 2021 at 11:16am:
I've come very close multiple times to buying one of the those Throwsticks. They just look so pretty, tough as nails and seem to work really well. Damn... Now I'm wanting to get one again...

The Kimberly Stinger calls to me...

Im not going to lie, some people have been saying you and Joe dont have it in you to buy one.

Tell yourself or SO the situation is beyond you now, you have no choice but to get one. Then start a rumor about me so I also have to get one.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #70 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 12:06pm

Damn you Morphy... it's over 100€ with shipping... I'm physically in pain but I will hold off still. Just...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #71 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 2:02pm

Man had no idea they went for that much but assuming the Poly is as strong as it seems I could see that. Lol you see how quickly I start to justify it?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #72 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:34pm

So I've got it pretty much narrowed down to  the Wirlki or the Karli.  I like the look of the Wirlki a lot, but it's quite a bit more expensive.  Which would you get?

Oh yeah, I think I saw a post from vetryan15 in the Administrative board saying Morphy wouldn't be any good with a throw stick, so there's no point in him getting one.  The post appears to have been deleted though.  Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #73 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 7:31pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:34pm:
Which would you get?

Oh yeah, I think I saw a post from vetryan15 in the Administrative board saying Morphy wouldn't be any good with a throw stick, so there's no point in him getting one.  The post appears to have been deleted though.  Wink

Two things- First to your last point. That is SO much like what I could see Vet saying that my dumb ass actually went back and looked to see if any posts were deleted. LOL You got me good on that one Joe lol!!!  Forgot I said start a rumor haha.

Secondly why are you asking which one? The answer is obvious and right in front of you. Get both of course! Smiley

Seriously though, what are you planning on using it for? I know for me I would probably get a mid-large one. Basically the best all around hunting one. Kylies are amazing hunting weapons.  I hate to say it but for the vast majority of us they put slings to shame it terms of making meat.

It all comes down to durability. I prefer natural materials but knowing just how difficult it is to make a good kylie from really hard wood and hand tools (and how easily they can break) its actually the polycarb itself that is the main selling point.

How about you each get one and tell us all which is the best one to get?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #74 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 7:59pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 7:31pm:
That is SO much like what I could see Vet saying that my dumb ass actually went back and looked to see if any posts were deleted.

I was on the floor after reading that.  Grin

But on the throw stick, intended use would be nothing in particular.  It would probably come with me to disc golf courses because there's lots of open area to throw.  After getting the hang of it, I might try some target throwing.

I would like a natural material one as well.  I would like to try making one but have concerns that if I throw badly I won't be able to tell if I'm bad (very possible) or if the throw stick is bad (also very possible).  I tried to make a boomerang once and it didn't work at all.  But if I have a good stick that will definitely fly well when thrown well, I could practice and eventually try to copy it.

Yeah, maybe one of each.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)