Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Your favorite primitive weapon after the sling? (Read 11557 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Your favorite primitive weapon after the sling?
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 2:34pm

After the sling, blowgun is my favorite primitive weapon.
I have a copper tube (1 meter), for fun in my underground.
It's precise at 10 meters.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 7:03pm

Spear. 

A walking stick is pretty innocuous.  Cold Steel makes a hollow handled knife that turns a walking stick into a spear super quick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD4W3ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?...

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:30am

The bola.
Because it is the only other primitive weapon I have recently used and become quite proficient at. And it is fun and different from most other weapons.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:31pm

Bolas are super fun. Also easy to carry around, especially the single cord bolas. I have one with a large hex nut on one end and a large washer on the other. Wraps really well and fits in a pocket like it's not even there.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #34 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 4:05pm

Oxnate wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 7:03pm:
Spear. 

A walking stick is pretty innocuous.  Cold Steel makes a hollow handled knife that turns a walking stick into a spear super quick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD4W3ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?...

I have a Bushman, and I absolutely love that knife.  If I'm going to be out in the weeds, I carry it on my belt with a 6" handle extension.  The extra length makes it work like a machete.  The back side of the carbon steel blade also doubles as a firestarter in my neck of the woods where there's usually some good quality flint/chert lying around on the ground. 

I think it would make an ok spear, but maybe I'll just have to try it Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #35 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 5:19pm

COOL! I've been meaning to make such a thing for months now... Especially, as you say, it is so simple and easy to transport. Almost like a sling.
Is there any point in the one weight being lighter than the other?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #36 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:58am

I haven't actually done many tests but I've found holding the lighter washer and spinning the hex nut gives a good release and spins well. I should do more videos on the bolas I have. It's not so easy at the moment because it's freezing cold and there's a lot of snow out there.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #37 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 11:20am

I think my favorite also has to be the Boleadoras, mostly because of the way it flies through the air before hitting something. Mine are made of three wooden balls with steel hooks screwed into them, all connected with sisal rope.

IMG_3087_001.jpg (44 KB | 28 )
IMG_3087_001.jpg

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:22pm

I like its "rough" look. Wood and sisal is a great combo.

My bolas are one of four bolts, and one with three tennis balls. The bolt one doesn't stay put very well around the things it wraps and I think it is because the bolts don't get easily entangled in each other like a sphere.

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:29pm

Slyngorm wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:22pm:
I think it is because the bolts don't get easily entangled in each other like a sphere.
That could be an advantage though, it takes me a while to get the boleadoras ready to throw again cause its like untying a knot

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #40 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 4:47pm

My only problem with the bola is that I can't get it to spread all of its balls out.
The balls spin in two clusters. The one I held in my hand during the wind up and all the other together. It doesn't look like a bola in cartoons.

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #41 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:31pm

Slyngorm wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 4:47pm:
The balls spin in two clusters. The one I held in my hand during the wind up and all the other together. It doesn't look like a bola in cartoons.

That might be because of the way you throw it. Gauchos in videos I've watched start by holding two of the weights, releasing one and them and then throwing them at the target. This way all of the balls are spinning at different speeds and you get a wide spread. I've only seen this done with 3 weighted boleadoras but I'd assume the same could be done with a 4 weighted one by just holding three and releasing them at different times. It might take a lot of getting used to though.

This video is kind of what I am talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYNCEL64qQ
If you know Spanish its also a good explanation about the origin of the name Tres Marias. The actual throwing starts at the 1 minute and 40 seconds mark.

I normally throw mine a bit sooner than he does so the weights don't bunch up as much, but even after waiting for the two balls to make contact the spread is still pretty wide.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:02pm

This is a really good video on the boleadoras and has a really cool tip for carrying one across your shoulders. I can say though that it does't work if you're wearing a big coat.

https://youtu.be/R9OdmGngoVc

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #43 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:01am

MirkoSling wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:31pm:
start by holding two of the weights, releasing one and them and then throwing them at the target.

Wow, this is more complicated than I thought it was but thanks for the tip!

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 8:01am

MirkoSling wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:29pm:
That could be an advantage though, it takes me a while to get the boleadoras ready to throw again cause its like untying a knot

That doesn't even apply  Tongue. To me they seem to tangle more and wrap less.
Worst of both worlds.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)