Send Topic Print
Ras El Hanout (Read 489 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Ras El Hanout
Apr 13th, 2020 at 5:25pm

One of my neighbors, Cinderella, (that's really her name) sometimes makes meals for me.  Usually I'll grab them when I pass by her house while walking the dogs.  She was a military brat and consequently her cooking reflects many different cuisines. 
    A few weeks ago she gave me a small jar of Ras El Hanout.  It's a North African spice.  There's really nothing in American cuisine that tastes anything like it.  It's got ginger, turmeric, and  "warm spices," what ever they are.   It's very aromatic.  It's hard to describe.  It's excellent on chicken, pork, lamb, or goat.  If you ever come across it buy some.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Ras El Hanout
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:03am

There are a few different African food restaurants in Helsinki that make SUCH delicious food. I have an Italian friend and his father was in Ethiopia during World War 2 and so was introduced to a lot of African foods when he was young. As soon as he heard there was an Ethiopian restaurant in Helsinki he took me along and it was AMAZING. So delicious. There's a Pan African restaurant as well that introduced me to Nigerian style donuts and now normal donuts are near ruined. It's a shame there isn't as much recognition of African foods as other places. I truly hope they survive the current pandemic or at least come back once everything opens up again.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 5:24am

It's the main spice used in Tagine, very very tasty food.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 11:22am

Discovering such new (to me anyway) flavors is like finding a new color.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus)