Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Move back 10 feet challenge (Read 13899 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Move back 10 feet challenge
Apr 1st, 2020 at 9:53pm

There seems to be a whole bunch of challenge-related stuff coming in lately, but I have another one.  I was sent this link by my friend who plays a lot of disc golf, https://youtu.be/J-td1obxYa4.  He hasn't tried it himself yet, but he's planning to as soon as weather allows.  Basically you stand 10 feet (approximately 3 m) from the basket (or target) and take your shot.  Every time you make it, you back up another 10 feet.  You keep going for 1 hour and see how far away you can get.

I think this would translate to slinging quite well.  Again, with all the challenges we already have on the horizon, and with everyone currently needing to stay home, this might be one for a little while down the road.  But it's definitely something I'm going to try.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2020 at 8:01am by joe_meadmaker »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Move back 10 feet challenge
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 5:26am

or if you want to make it more challenging (because you are gonna run out of space) move on when you get 2 consecutive hits Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 5:37pm

Maybe we'll call that Level 2.  Wink

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:53pm

I was able to give this a try.  At least until I was interrupted by the weather.

This was a blast even though the session was short-lived.  I will definitely give it another try when I have a chance.  I got farther back more quickly than I was expecting.

https://youtu.be/n1nbQ6UJSAM

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:10am

Nice stuff joe.
Is your range also your yard?

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 2:15am

I might give this a go today. The weather's beautiful so it would be a good time for it. Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:15am

Done mine Cheesy I only went to 30 feet. I didn't have much time, it was darn windy and I don't have all that much space on the range and it still be safe to sling rocks. Oh and also I did terribly Cheesy 10 and 20 were fine but 30 took ages. I'll get the video done today hopefully.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:23am

dont start over just continue from 60ft I want to see the continuing story.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 6:12am

I think I'll try again sometime soon and move the log I use to hold up the pan beforehand (not looking forward to that... it weighs a ton). That should give me some more space.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 6:30am

I only have about 12ft to play with- I'm always at maximum range!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 8:21am

Mersa wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:10am:
Nice stuff joe.
Is your range also your yard?

Thanks!  And yes.  I have just over an acre of ground.  So the upper part of my yard is a little over 200 feet across.  It's a pain to keep the grass mowed, but I love having the space for slinging, bow shooting, etc.

Kick wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:15am:
Done mine Cheesy I only went to 30 feet. I didn't have much time, it was darn windy and I don't have all that much space on the range and it still be safe to sling rocks. Oh and also I did terribly Cheesy 10 and 20 were fine but 30 took ages. I'll get the video done today hopefully.

I wasn't expecting someone else to have a go at this so soon.  Awesome!  I can't wait to see that video.

Sarosh wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:23am:
dont start over just continue from 60ft I want to see the continuing story.

That's probably what I'll do.  I'll likely go through the shorter distances to warm up and get in the swing of things.  Then just pick up where I left off for the actual recording.  I do hope to tighten things up the next time.  I had so many throws that were off to the left.

JudoP wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 6:30am:
I only have about 12ft to play with- I'm always at maximum range!

I do feel very lucky that social distancing hasn't affected my slinging at all.  Because I literally just walk outside.  As with everyone, if you ever find yourself in the States and near western Pennsylvania, you're welcome to come sling at my house any time!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 7:03pm

I have space for some archery in my backyard but usually just practice with a light 30pound kids bow, my 55 pound bow almost always breaks an arrow if I miss the target, plus I can only get a 22m shot max so the kids bows point on works perfect.  Wish I had space for slinging something more than a ping pong ball.

Any chance you can redo the challenge but with a bow , love to see the comparison. Think you’ll be smashing it out to 100 pretty fast

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 8:13pm

Mersa wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 7:03pm:
redo the challenge but with a bow

That's a pretty sweet idea.  I'd have to do a little practicing first.  I didn't do much bow shooting at all last year.  None so far this year either.  It's on the list now though.  As soon as I get the sling done.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 11:44pm

This is how I practice with a bow and sling. You can find it in "The Witchery of Archery" except you have to hit 4 or 5 times before you move back.
When I got serious about archery in the mid eighties, it took a full month (shooting an hour or two every morning) to get to 55 feet with a 65 lb bow Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 9:02am

I remember you mentioning that book before in another topic.  It peaked my interest so I jumped online and bought a copy.  I haven't read it yet, but I really need to pull it out and do that.

I completely agree, this feels like a great practice technique.  It has a similarity with something else I like to do.  I have my target somewhere in the yard, and constantly move around to different positions.  There are never two shots/throws in a row from the same position.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)