Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Natural cords material experimentation (Read 6503 times)
SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Natural cords material experimentation
Reply #30 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 7:05pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 3:28pm:
What throwing style are you using?

Mainly sidearm, helicopter, or a mix of the two. I used to braid very thin jute slings but now I just find thicker slings to be more efficient in terms of effort. I don't know if it's the weight but it just feels easier.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:32pm

SerKraus wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 7:05pm:

Mainly sidearm, helicopter, or a mix of the two. I used to braid very thin jute slings but now I just find thicker slings to be more efficient in terms of effort. I don't know if it's the weight but it just feels easier.

I'm starting to suspect that much of what people prefer in terms of slings has to do with what style they are using. Side armers seem to love Balearic style (or heavier) slings. Must be something to that.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:04am

Morphy wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:32pm:

I'm starting to suspect that much of what people prefer in terms of slings has to do with what style they are using. Side armers seem to love Balearic style (or heavier) slings. Must be something to that.

Sorry Morphy. I can't let you make such simple and understandable categorizing statements on here without an argument.

I've personally been using sidearm styles more and more with my paracord-and-leather asymmetric sling which weighs less than 20g.  Sling plus tennis ball weights less than 80g total.

I also use a 28" sling, which is way longer than most Balearic slingers prefer... so maybe the "feeling" of a longer but lighter sling is similar to a shorter one because they have similar inertia?  I don't know.  Maybe we just can't generalize anything about anything and slinging will have to remain magical and mysterious forever Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:01am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:04am:
Morphy wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:32pm:

Sorry Morphy. I can't let you make such simple and understandable categorizing statements on here without an argument.

I've personally been using sidearm styles more and more with my paracord-and-leather asymmetric sling which weighs less than 20g.  Sling plus tennis ball weights less than 80g total.

I also use a 28" sling, which is way longer than most Balearic slingers prefer... so maybe the "feeling" of a longer but lighter sling is similar to a shorter one because they have similar inertia?  I don't know.  Maybe we just can't generalize anything about anything and slinging will have to remain magical and mysterious forever Grin

All I know is I’ve preferred the figure-8 for many years now which explains my garbage slinging and virtually all my other failures in life.

Seriously though I love paracord slings for both side arm and figure-8. The reverse is definitely not true though. Heavy Balearics for figure-8 is awful. Maybe some prefer it but not me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:24am

I don’t have a lot of experience with Balearics yet, but I did play with loaded slings. The extra weight in the pouch definitely felt sluggish, like the shot had no power compared to the effort I put into the shot. I don’t know how that compares to heavy and stiff cordage though, and I wasn’t throwing sidearm at the time either. Maybe I should pull out the loaded slings again.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 10:14am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 9:24am:
I don’t have a lot of experience with Balearics yet, but I did play with loaded slings. The extra weight in the pouch definitely felt sluggish, like the shot had no power compared to the effort I put into the shot. I don’t know how that compares to heavy and stiff cordage though, and I wasn’t throwing sidearm at the time either. Maybe I should pull out the loaded slings again.

Loaded slings?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #36 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 12:45pm

Loaded slings, meaning weighted slings.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #37 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:00pm

The advantage to a sling with a heavy pouch is that you can hurl very light ammo if you wish.  The weight of the pouch rather than the projectile gives the sling momentum.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #38 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 3:10pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:00pm:
   The advantage to a sling with a heavy pouch is that you can hurl very light ammo if you wish.  The weight of the pouch rather than the projectile gives the sling momentum.

That's exactly what I made them for.  When I first made them, I was slinging empty plastic Easter eggs that weighed about 1g each.  An extra 30g weight in the pouch makes a huge difference for ammo like that.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Jan 31st, 2021 at 12:54pm

I can tell you that most spinners spin linen wet.
they damp it as it is going onto the wheel .It can be spun dry but it tends to hold together better wet .  I have  a lot of experience knotting and braiding . As a personal preference I do not like using Hemp. it seems to be very abrasive on my hands. I have soaked it before braiding but it seems to make no difference. This of course is simply my ten cents worth ,best of luck with your project .

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 9:31pm

Eudave wrote on Jan 31st, 2021 at 12:54pm:
I can tell you that most spinners spin linen wet.
they damp it as it is going onto the wheel .It can be spun dry but it tends to hold together better wet .  I have  a lot of experience knotting and braiding . As a personal preference I do not like using Hemp. it seems to be very abrasive on my hands. I have soaked it before braiding but it seems to make no difference. This of course is simply my ten cents worth ,best of luck with your project .

If you think hemp is abrasive then I wonder what you think about manila and sisal  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)