Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33289 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #270 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 8:08am

I experienced the smallest taste of what those hospital workers are going through. Luckily for us, our outbreak is essentially over. We have one person who's positive in isolation but is looking better day after day and three that are quarantined because they haven't had it. It's essentially under control here so really we only had three weeks of it being a nightmare. Despite being only three weeks, quite honestly, it messed me up. I can't even imagine working on one of those wards. Those nurses and doctors and support staff all around the world are incredible and deserve more than just praise. I truly hope more respect and more pay are given to them. I certainly wouldn't hack it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #271 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:17am

Kick wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 8:08am:
I experienced the smallest taste of what those hospital workers are going through. Luckily for us, our outbreak is essentially over. We have one person who's positive in isolation but is looking better day after day and three that are quarantined because they haven't had it. It's essentially under control here so really we only had three weeks of it being a nightmare. Despite being only three weeks, quite honestly, it messed me up. I can't even imagine working on one of those wards. Those nurses and doctors and support staff all around the world are incredible and deserve more than just praise. I truly hope more respect and more pay are given to them. I certainly wouldn't hack it.

Neither would I Kick. I get to drop patients off. They don't.

By the way and this blew my mind man....I came to work this morning and every single hospital for miles is on saturation. Unbelievable... Last shift my last call was a guy in respiratory failure. I called the closest hospital to give report. This guy was dying right in front of my eyes. They told me dont bother coming because youll be on the wall for hours and we have no oxygen containers to give you.

Basically telling me they would have to let him die.   Shocked

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #272 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:31am

It's getting crazy out there. Finland's cases are going up and I'm kind of annoyed the government aren't just calling for a full lockdown. We've had so many fewer cases and deaths compared to a lot of other countries that if they had locked down fully and came down HARD on those breaking the rules, Finland would be at least closer to a New Zealand/Australia situation. 692 deaths in Finland so very few in the grand scheme of things, but still more than there should have been.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #273 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:01am

Morphy wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:58am:
Last shift I was at a hospital and was talking to one of the nurses... Something like 40-50% of the patients are covid patients on the floor. This is in addition to their normal amount of patients. Most of the hospitals over here are on constant saturation and nurses are becoming more and more rare. I wish I was just fear mongering here but im not.

Keep in mind hospitals only admit the serious patients. This doesnt include the majority that get sent home after two hours or the many that arent sick enough to go but are contagious. Be safe out there people.

Having just spent time in the hospital I can tell you that the entire staff is worked to a frazzle. The nurses seem to be bearing the brunt of it. Kudos to them for their tireless dedication.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #274 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:47am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:01am:
The nurses seem to be bearing the brunt of it. Kudos to them for their tireless dedication.

This might just be bias from my sources, but all I ever hear is that nurses are the ones that actually do all the work... Well nurses and the... I actually don't know what the English term is which is crazy but it's true. The perushoitajat and lahihoitajat. A google says it's practical nurse or nurse's aide.
Anyway. Those are the people that do all the actual work. I can't remember where I heard it but I heard that one of the nurses most important jobs is to prevent the doctor killing the patient  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #275 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 3:49pm

Kick wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:47am:
Rat Man wrote on Feb 6th, 2021 at 11:01am:
The nurses seem to be bearing the brunt of it. Kudos to them for their tireless dedication.

This might just be bias from my sources, but all I ever hear is that nurses are the ones that actually do all the work... Well nurses and the... I actually don't know what the English term is which is crazy but it's true. The perushoitajat and lahihoitajat. A google says it's practical nurse or nurse's aide.
Anyway. Those are the people that do all the actual work. I can't remember where I heard it but I heard that one of the nurses most important jobs is to prevent the doctor killing the patient  Grin

If I told you some of things Ive see doctors do Kick you wouldnt believe it. Starting small a doctor in the ER tried to give a bradycardic patient in the low 30s a beta blocker. SMDH. Thank goodness for RNs.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #276 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 4:49pm

My wife is a registered nurse. I will second Kick’s perspective. In addition to the hands-on care, the nurse’s job is to advocate for the patient and question whether a doctor’s orders are actually good for that patient. It’s a noble calling, and you could quadruple their pay and it still wouldn’t be enough.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #277 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 7:56am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/08/uk-care-workers-use-leave-avoid-lo...

Yeah I can't see nurses getting that extra pay and respect anytime soon...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #278 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 10:32am

Kick wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 7:56am:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/08/uk-care-workers-use-leave-avoid-lo...

Yeah I can't see nurses getting that extra pay and respect anytime soon...

Oh I know it’s not happening. You can make similar arguments for teachers, firefighters, police officers, paramedics, and maybe even plumbers. Nurses get paid fairly well compared to other comparable levels of education, but  as you know, no amount of money is enough to make them genuinely care. That has to come from something more than a paycheck.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #279 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 10:55am

The worst thing is that I think a lot of private companies and managers know full well that a lot of nurses, particularly the good ones, aren't in it for the paycheck and will go along with being taken advantage of if they can be convinced it's for the benefit of others.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #280 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 12:12pm

dunno if I've mentioned this or not.

My mum went in for a knee replacement in early november. Tested negative before hand and was supposedly in a secure seperate sterile unit.
Came out with covid.

Had it pretty nasty for a couple of weeks.
We didn;t actually know that's what she had.

So my dad and I didn't take any predautions.
turns out we're either naturally immune or just 100% asymptomatic.
I know we both met people during that time and did not pass anything to amnyone else - so I'm going with a genetic immunity passed down through the paternal genes.

But it's nasty and I can easily see how so many people die.

My advice when tending someone with covid - keep them at home whenever possible.
Force them to eat.

Covid suppreses the appetite and kjills taste to enhance the suppression.
Left alone in a hospital ward they won't eat, and will grow weaker and more susceptible to the nastier effects.

It did not feel good browbearting my mum to eat - but I'm fairly certain it saved her life. 

Fortunately I'm a damn good cook and can hide real nutrition in seemingly healthy soup.

Between that and the after service for her knee being non-existent, I've been doing all the cooking for the last 4 months - why i haven't been around much.

She's well on the mend now and walking without a stick. And had the first vaccination.

But it's a nasty bug.
Anyone you know gets it - make them eat.
They won't want to and they'll  moan and complain - but be resolute.
The body can fight it off - as long as it's got the fuel to do so.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #281 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 1:09pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 8th, 2021 at 12:12pm:
Covid suppreses the appetite and kjills taste to enhance the suppression.

This is a very good point actually and I'm glad you mention it. We had a real problem with this on the ward. It was made even worse in that most of our residents have dementia and some of them are difficult to convince to eat anyway. Another aspect that made getting food into people difficult was they were in isolation and we were supposed to be spending as little time as possible with them to reduce the chance of any of us catching it from them. A max of 15 minutes was floating around, but it wasn't really announced officially, I think because the idea of getting everything that needs to be done in a room of up to 4 Covid positive patients done in 15 minutes is like asking if someone can swing by Pluto and pick up a couple of sandwiches for the pet unicorns.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)