Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33220 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #255 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:06pm

I certainly hope you're right.  What concerns me the most is that unlike the flu we can apparently catch this over and over again.  I certainly would like to see things return to normal as much as anyone else.  But I'm  going to be in no big rush to join the stampede back to the bars, restaurants, movies, etc..

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #256 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:52pm

The big rush we had to open back up, especially with people not social distancing I think was the big problem.

Despite my desire to celebrate the small wins, this disease really does concern me. It is very real and just because it’s not the immediate disaster we were told it would be it’s still a scary disease that can and will kill you if you are unlucky enough to get a bad case of it.

The most concerning being that there are cases of really healthy people getting it who get extremely sick. One being a firefighter I know of who was in super good shape and now has tubes coming out of his chest; anecdotal but concerning.

I still worry far more about another wave of this or some other disease but I know of several medics that have gotten very bad cases of one of the strains going around here.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #257 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 11:24am

I got an email from my bowling league today.  They're attempting to start up again.  They've put some safeguards in place;  smaller, three person teams, everyone must be masked, no food from the snack bar, less people allowed in the bowling alley, all tables farther apart, etc.  Bowling was a good portion of my social life and I do miss it but one gets only gets one chance to do the plague right.  I'll pass this time around.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #258 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:21pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:52pm:
The big rush we had to open back up, especially with people not social distancing I think was the big problem.

Despite my desire to celebrate the small wins, this disease really does concern me. It is very real and just because it’s not the immediate disaster we were told it would be it’s still a scary disease that can and will kill you if you are unlucky enough to get a bad case of it.

The most concerning being that there are cases of really healthy people getting it who get extremely sick. One being a firefighter I know of who was in super good shape and now has tubes coming out of his chest; anecdotal but concerning.

I still worry far more about another wave of this or some other disease but I know of several medics that have gotten very bad cases of one of the strains going around here.

Honestly, it's the anecdotal events that scare me the most. Sure, statistically you'd be fine, but anecdotally, any one of us could be totally f'd. That is what gives me the most caution about this disease.

Another thought, that's why many people get flu shots too, statistically, most will be fine, but you don't want to be the anecdote.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #259 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:42am

https://www.foxnews.com/health/can-the-coronavirus-spread-through-the-air

Yet another reason to avoid elevators and take the stairs.

Also... isn’t it wonderful how half a year into a pandemic, it’s still considered newsworthy that it MIGHT be spread through the air?!  As a scientist, this is really embarrassing.  As a human being, it is infuriating that people get paid to "inform" the public with such amazing insights.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2020 at 11:52pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #260 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 7:40pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 6:21pm:
Morphy wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 1:52pm:

Honestly, it's the anecdotal events that scare me the most. Sure, statistically you'd be fine, but anecdotally, any one of us could be totally f'd. That is what gives me the most caution about this disease.

Another thought, that's why many people get flu shots too, statistically, most will be fine, but you don't want to be the anecdote.

You and me both IG. Those anecdotal stories are the ones that keep you alive. That fear keeps you cautious.

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #261 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 9:45am

Figured I'd chime in, I'm not in medicine but the chemicals and pharmaceuticals trade is in my wheelhouse and since I'm self employed with a malleable schedule I paid the coronavirus my utmost attention starting the day Wuhan was shut in January.

All the stupid politics on both sides severely hampered the USA's early response, with the media and senators saying that the flu is more worrysome and going to Chinatowns for photo ops and many articles and reports purposefully confusing people about N95 and P100 respirator masks in order to maintain supply for healthcare workers; all sorts of idiocy went down in the early months of this which is still causing harm now.

I paid attention to the research and reports coming out around the world and the moment that Chloroquine Diphosphate (cellular zinc ionophor) and Zinc was reported as a viable treatment around February 3rd I began energetically building my viral doomsday preppers stockpile.

Since I'm in the industry I know exactly how and where to obtain bulk Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), the stuff bought cheap by our pharma companies, pressed into pills for convenient swallowing and marked up only 10,000% if you're lucky for that indispensible service...

So, just in case petty politics keeps screwing things up and I need to do it myself if I want it done right, I bought and have a large quantity of Chloroquine Diphosphate, Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, Doxycycline, Zinc, plus lots of other pure antibiotics and meds and then a big pile of relevant antiviral and supportive/synergistic medicinal herbs, supplements, minerals and vitamins. Got 2 oxygen concentrator machines too just in case my literal COVID pharmacy alone wasn't enough.

I got all the N95s and P100s my family would need, gloves and other PPE too and even grabbed a case of Russian NBC gas masks, could flip em now for 5x what I paid lol.

All that said, I've come to fully understand that the pandemic, while certainly fearsome and worth avoiding, is being used as convenient cover for the takedown and reset of the debt and derivative-choked global monetary, fiscal, and economic system, and understanding the gravity of what is at stake, in March I polished up the top of my COVID stockpile and moved on to the much more important big-picture need to protect assets, reduce exposure to the system, hoard physical bullion (plus cheap Silver ETF calls and mining companies for now) which is already showing extraordinary gains, and generally preparing for whatever an economic breakdown may bring. My big crop of potatoes for example can be stored underground all winter if necessary, and while I hope it's not I've never been so spooked in my life; got babies to protect now, so I'm playing it as smart, cautious and self-sufficient as I can. It may seem like tinfoil and I apologise, but my instincts have always guided me to safety and success, and in the absence of actually trustworthy institutions and authorities I must trust my instincts more than ever now.

If I can offer one single bit of advice regarding how to prosper through this chaotic time, it is to buy as much real physical silver bullion or coin as possible. It may look expensive at more than double the March low, but I promise you all that it's still the most undervalued real asset on earth and will be a financial life saver if all else crumbles. Whatever happens, good luck to you all!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #262 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:20pm

Gold is supposed to double. 

Personally, my family and I have land.  I live on an 80 acre farm.  And everything is paid for. 

All I've got to worry about is my elected leaders taxing me out of existence.

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #263 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:55pm

Beautiful, good land is true wealth in my book, hopefully I can leverage the family onto a homestead/farm within a few years. I do have plenty of hands on "back to basics" skills so know it will work out better than staying in a town, safe as it is here in Wyoming.

Gold is the best option relative to just about anything else and will eventually leave that doubled price in the dust due to the mounting fiscal/monetary pressures,  but Silver is the supreme asset of the 21st century high tech future and beyond. Throughout history silver came out of the ground at a rate of around 12:1 versus gold, but industrial consumption since the mid 19th century has sent 90% ever mined to the landfill, leaving the world today with roughly equivalent above ground reserves of gold to silver, annually decreasing total mine yields, and a decreasing yield ratio (less than 9 silver to 1 gold gets mined now). Considering how silver is absolutely critical to green energy and all high technology, and considering how the World Economic Forum is literally telling us that The Great Economic Reset will center around massive green energy infrastructure projects started by countries around the world at the same time, just the industrial aspect alone will send it soaring over the next few years. Obviously the monetary/hedge aspect is at play right now, but that only synergizes with the modern reality of a lower relative supply of silver than at any time in history, now at a time when it's true technological value is just starting to come into view. If you have any metals just hold tight for now and wait for the valuation fireworks to start, as they're structurally inevitable now. And if you succeed in holding on, paying even inflated property taxes but otherwise living free outside of the system will be a much more viable prospect on the other side of this.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #264 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 3:25pm

And of course, there's still lots of stupidity to go around. One of the latest "cure" are psychedelic mushrooms and weight lifting. If you have under 10% body fat, you're immune.
  Oh, and people have taken to drinking disinfectant. Turns out the isopropyl alcohol in it can make you go blind.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #265 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:45pm

Both of my bowling leagues are attempting to gather members for the Fall season.  Some of my team mates will be participating.  I won't.  It's hard to say no.  I miss my friends and I miss bowling.  But I want to be around to see the end of this. No thanks.  Maybe next year.  I hope. If that second stimulus check is ever sent we're going to increase our ammo supply and arsenal.  I've already got plenty of food stockpiled.  Next year I'll have a vegetable garden and I'm going to learn how to jar my own produce.  That could prove very useful.  I have room for a nice sized garden.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #266 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:50pm

Covid is making a big comeback I can confirm that. The covid ward at our nearest hospital is back open again. It's going to be a long Fall and Winter I suspect.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #267 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 10:06pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:45pm:
Next year I'll have a vegetable garden and I'm going to learn how to jar my own produce.  That could prove very useful.  I have room for a nice sized garden.

Good thinking, I put food in the ground in March already harvested and replanted some.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #268 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 12:32am

They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Not to whine because everyone has their crosses to bear, but I've been through some real chit.  And it has made me stronger.  Also, Lyme Disease victims tend to be homebodies so this social distancing probably isn't quite as tough on me as others.  Where am I going with this?  We are social animals, of course.  We aren't built to isolate forever.  I am not to my breaking point but it is starting to get to me.  And if it's starting to bother me I can only wonder how many people without my resolve it's pushed over the edge.  I don't have the stats but there have to be many more cases of nervous breakdowns, depression, and people flying off the handle than there normally are.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #269 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 5:58am

Last shift I was at a hospital and was talking to one of the nurses... Something like 40-50% of the patients are covid patients on the floor. This is in addition to their normal amount of patients. Most of the hospitals over here are on constant saturation and nurses are becoming more and more rare. I wish I was just fear mongering here but im not.

Keep in mind hospitals only admit the serious patients. This doesnt include the majority that get sent home after two hours or the many that arent sick enough to go but are contagious. Be safe out there people.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)