Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33293 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Coronavirus
Reply #225 - May 16th, 2020 at 12:24pm

Again, I'm of a pessimistic bent. I think the real debate over whether to recommend masks had nothing to do with whether the masks themselves kept people safer but whether it would spur behavior (proper washing of hands, social distance) that WOULD keep people safer.

It worked for a bit at least here in WI. When the masks were first suggested, a lot of people  wore, the herd got skittish, people kept their distance and I'd bet washing and showering went up. But it wore off. Numbers of mask wearers (that I've seen) are going down. Was it worth it? We don't know. I think it's ultimately going to damage how much the public will obey the public health experts. Herd management is a fiddly thing.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #226 - May 16th, 2020 at 4:06pm

perpetualstudent wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 12:24pm:
Again, I'm of a pessimistic bent. I think the real debate over whether to recommend masks had nothing to do with whether the masks themselves kept people safer but whether it would spur behavior (proper washing of hands, social distance) that WOULD keep people safer.

This is exactly what I think.

perpetualstudent wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 12:24pm:
Numbers of mask wearers (that I've seen) are going down.

I've seen this too. Or... not seen this... I've seen a lot fewer masks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #227 - May 16th, 2020 at 6:13pm

Kick wrote on May 16th, 2020 at 12:11pm:
It's all just very stressful and I can just see the situation unfolding where I have to be wearing a mask for 8 hours a day for... ever.

Every time I’m in a hospital I feel bad for the nurses and doctors in there. I have such a hard time breathing in mine can’t imagine spending every shift in one. Luckily there’s a solution:

https://youtu.be/j7LBBjZBcLs

Cheesy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #228 - May 16th, 2020 at 6:56pm

OH WOW!  That is remarkable in some kind of way!  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #229 - May 16th, 2020 at 7:23pm

Lol! I know right? In her defense, she’s not wrong. It does make it easier to breathe.    Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #230 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:04am

Oh yeah I've seen that video. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. With wearing a mask, I'm not wearing one for my entire shift with no breaks, but with having to wear one when in contact with residents, I'm more often wearing one than not. I've found my nose and eyes have been super dry and the tie on masks ride up into my eyes and squish my nose. Basically they're awful. The ear loop ones aren't the worst but they aren't exactly fun. The really cheap Chinese ones that have been mass produced in a hurry are really bad. They're too small for almost everyone so really dig into your ears. I can't wear one for more than half an hour at the very most.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Lusitano
Tiro

Spin fast... Throw hard!

Portugal
Reply #231 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:20am

As I work in a shared location we are required to use mask while working this means full 8 hours with pause only for meal. My company provides 2 masks per person everyday. It is not confortable but on the other I would not return to work without everyone using them.
Although not 100% effective they do reduce the risk of contagion signicantly. That and the correct distancing and etiquette.
Here in Portugal, we start to open up and now the use of masks in shops or closed public places and transports is also mandatory and you will be finned in case of non-compliance.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #232 - May 25th, 2020 at 9:28am

My state, New Jersey, is starting to lift its quarantine. This is being done for financial reasons only. We currently have 5517 cases in my county alone with 217 deaths. We are no safer than we were last week or the week before. The sad thing is that this might be completely necessary. We can't stay shut down forever. The economy might never recover. No one wants to say it but we don't have a choice. This plague will have to run its course and millions will die.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #233 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:28am

Not so sure RM. It’s probably not so bad that NJ is opening up. Texas has been open for about three weeks and it’s not exactly the zombie apocalypse down here. 40% of all coronavirus cases in the US are in nursing homes, so as long as you don’t live in one and take reasonable precautions, you’re relatively safe.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #234 - May 28th, 2020 at 11:40am

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/related-to-obvious-other-causes-gunshot-...

I work in an area that has probably at least a hundred covid patients. 81 from one nursing home and there are many nursing homes with patients. I’ve transported a whopping 1 patient that was for sure covid positive for breathing difficulties. Doctors and nurses all over the country are coming out and saying the data they are getting at their practices with real world covid patients (not models) shows it’s about on par with the flu.

Not saying anyone should throw caution to the wind but this so far seems a lot more bark and a lot less bite. I’m very skeptical of the numbers being given. There’s plenty of dissenting information out there but unfortunately it’s all being quashed by the mainstream narrative/censorship.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #235 - May 28th, 2020 at 1:39pm

We passed 100,000 deaths yesterday.  Those are known cases.    Due to no testing in the general population, the US has no idea how many people have it or had it and recovered or died from it.

Supposedly, the case numbers are leveling out. 

And the purpose of the lock down was not to stop the virus, it was to avoid over loading the ICU's.  "Flatten the curve".  Remember?

Also, I think the doctors actually treating the cases have figured out several different treatments, in spite of the "experts" and their advice.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #236 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:20pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 11:28am:
Not so sure RM. It’s probably not so bad that NJ is opening up. Texas has been open for about three weeks and it’s not exactly the zombie apocalypse down here. 40% of all coronavirus cases in the US are in nursing homes, so as long as you don’t live in one and take reasonable precautions, you’re relatively safe.

Texas doesn't have the population density of the Northeast.  We are in a hot spot. I don't live in terror of this but I won't participate in the state's reopening.  Being retired I can continue my quarantine until it's really safe, whenever that will be.  I've seen this movie before. We're far from out of the woods.

CovidNJ.jpg (76 KB | 53 )
CovidNJ.jpg

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #237 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 9:29am

I understand RM. so far, the evidence still suggests that reopening isn’t making the outbreak worse, and the quarantines seem to be much worse than the outbreak. By the way... Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio all have high population densities. Texas population averages are skewed by the western half of the state... and of all places, Amarillo has been hit worse than the bigger cities.

It doesn’t make for good television to bring a scientist on screen to say “we don’t know”, but the people making bold claims with certainty in the name of science are pundits, not scientists.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #238 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 12:01am

The  bottom line is we all have to wait and see.  My perspective as a fat old man with asthma would be different from yours.  I will error on the side of caution.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #239 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 12:51pm

Maybe all this quarentining has given me too much time to think.  I'm not one to panic or despair but I am a bottom line person. 
     Covid doesn't give a rat's ass about your job, indoor restaurant dining, your favorite team's season, going to the beach, how bored you are, your grandmother, your favorite bar, the Rock concert you had to give up on, the economy, or whether or not you think it's a hoax. 
    Covid does just one thing and it does it well.  It gets in our lungs and replicates. We have no vaccine to stop it.  If we catch it we don't become immune like with other viruses.  We can get it again and again and each time it's worse.  We have never seen anything like this and currently WE HAVE NO SOLUTION WHATSOEVER.
     There are many fools among us. There always have been. That's just the way it is.  Panic and despair are useless but we are in deep poopy and had better take this seriously.  Right now our only hope is to stay calm and make intelligent informed individual (not what the government tells us) decisions.... and be prepared for the long haul.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)