IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Coronavirus
Reply #181 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 8:39am

Morphy wrote on Apr 20th, 2020 at 2:18pm:
as war is one of the fastest ways to restart an economy

what does war offer that peace cannot?

more people accepting death and injustice?

economy can be fixed if people are willing , those who are not willing to fix the problems are those who benefit from a war. I believe that there are faster ways to restart economy than a war.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #182 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 9:00am

Im not advocating it I’m pointing out historical patterns. None of us want war I’m sure. The closest I come to wanting war is playing call of duty mobile which is a great game by the way.  Grin

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #183 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 10:48am

I wanted to point out that a bad economy although it might be connected to war  it is not necessarily the main thing that contributes to it . A thriving/growing economy might lead to war as well.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #184 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:41am

@Sarosh Point taken. One doesn’t always lead to another. But low resources does tend to exacerbate already strained relations making it more likely.

Shifting directions just a little here is an interesting hot mic moment.

https://youtu.be/dCo0q9ZM62w

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #185 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:56am

That hot mic seems fake to me Morphy.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #186 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:13pm

Now come on Wall Street don't be slow,
This here's war a go go,
There's plenty of money to be made,
Supplyin' the army with the tools of the trade....

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #187 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:31pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 21st, 2020 at 11:56am:
That hot mic seems fake to me Morphy.

In this day and age it could be. I’m pretty sure Golden State Times is a legit publication though. I looked into it a little. I’m not vouching for it, but if real it’s interesting. Given how little it’s actually been covered that does make me a bit suspicious.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #188 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 3:11pm

I am a lot more anti social than I realised.

The thing I'm looking forward to when the quarantine ends (next year maybe) is meeting LESS people.

I like going out with the dogs into a quiet unpopulated piece of the countryside.
At the moment there are bloody people every sodding where !

Poeple walking by themselves, families walking and on bike, idiots running, weirdos with dogs that appear to have never been outside before let alone ever met another dog.

Met a couple today.
Me and dream and phoebe are ambling along - minding our own business while dodging the bikes, joggers and other bikes.

Guy runs past me and shouts: 'can you put your dog on it's lead there's a dog coming that's not friendly.'
By the time I looked to see where phoebe was - this idiots wife had already run up to us with a really nasty doberman bitch - and no they don't put a muzzle on it.

If you're going to run interference for a dog you KNOW is nasty and you're too irrisponsble to use a muzzle. Then for christs sake get far enough ahead to make it worth the effort.

Fortunates both ours avoid dodgy dogs.

I just want all these people to go back home and watch their idiot boxes like they always used to !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #189 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 3:14pm

Apparently the reason oil can have a negative price is because they've run out of storage and nobody has considered NOT pumping it out of the ground.
So they're paying people to take it away and store it, which is why it's now got a negative value.

Looking forward to the day I fill my car up and they Give ME £40 Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #190 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 4:49pm

Sarosh wrote on Apr 21st, 2020 at 8:26am:
how can oil have negative price?

It’s pretty simple: stock traders in New York buy contracts for delivery of oil a few weeks or months in the future.  Normally the contract is re-sold at a profit to someone who needs the oil at the scheduled delivery date, but demand dropped out and all the places that store oil are filling up. Contractually that means that stock trader has to receive the oil... I guess to his fancy New York apartment! Those people are willing to pay people to take the oil off their hands because they literally have no place to put it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #191 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 4:36pm

So turns out that video is not a hoax. It is John Roberts the White House corespondent for Fox News and New York Times photographer Doug Mills.

They claim the whole thing is just a joke. I guess that’s really the only thing you could say. If a preliminary vaccine was available to those people around the President all the time none of us would be told, probably under threat of a national security violation. No one is claiming it’s not real though. AP has already run a story on it as have others.

John Roberts has dismissed it as a joke. But listen to it and make up your own mind. If it’s a joke it sure doesn’t sound like it. In poor taste As well all things considered.  The study he cited In the recording is real I have no reason to think the rest is not.

Guess we get to file this in the “The peasants will never know for sure” right next to “Epstein definitely, for super sure killed himself so stop asking”

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #192 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 2:40am

@
NooneOfConsequence

thanks for the concise answer

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #193 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 3:24am

Quote:
I would call that inevitable actually Wanderer. Unless this virus was 10 times worse than what we are seeing, such second guessing was inevitable. For political and economic reasons at the very least. And before anyone decides whether it was worth it I think it would be prudent to wait and see what happens with the economy.

I agree about the inevitability - FWIW it was one of the points I made on this thread, perhaps rather irritably, quite early on - but I would argue we would still reach that stage even if the fatality rate was ten times higher. The dynamics might be a little different because direct personal loss or pain would be imposed on more people.

Quote:
Assuming America falls into a serious economic downturn the world will not be immune to that pain as we are in a global economy. Historically speaking major depressions precede war, as war is one of the fastest ways to restart an economy. So before we can decide that this was all worth it for a death rate that is on par with many normal illnesses, I would caution everyone to wait and see. What’s done is done now. Right now it’s very easy to look at the potential pandemic and say of course shutting everyone down was the only sane move. But that is a position that only exists because we haven’t see the other side here. How bad an economic downturn must we have before we decide it wasn’t worth it? We don’t know yet, since we’ve only seen one side.

There is not one 'we', and the personal calculations during and after will be different for each of us. It is already clear that those calculations will be highly dependent on political stance, at least in the U.S., less so I think in most other countries. I'd be interested in how people living elsewhere think that will pan out.

That would be so even without the heavy factionalizing present in so many of the media sources.

I'd also point out that although it is clearly fair to look back on how this was handled, the  '20/20 in hindsight' notion obviously applies. People can be making perfectly reasonable decisions in lack of knowledge which the crystal ball shows are not optimal. It's thoroughly unfair to castigate people for fault in those cases, although that has never stopped those kinds of 'inquests' in the past.

Quote:
I realize I’m throwing out a lot of stuff here. I’m not claiming this is going to be an over night process. Far from it. I want this here for posterity sake. I’m willing to post my thoughts on this online so later on I can come back here and see how close or far away from the mark I was.

Keep throwing it out there! I appreciate your position, and believe the same. I have no intention of editing or deleting any of my posts on this thread - although there is already one (at least!) I would 'improve' if I gave myself the chance.

Quote:
As far as the overall death toll and the infection rates, a study done in California has shown that almost a hundred times more people have antibodies for this virus than was previously thought. Now, as with all studies, some people question the validity, but that’s what the tests show. Which suggests this has been going around much longer than previously thought. Draw your own conclusions.

I've read about those results. Although I realize it might make me appear 'slippery', the results don't seem much of a surprise. They are consistent as far as I can see with the European studies.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #194 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 3:42am

Morphy wrote on Apr 22nd, 2020 at 4:36pm:
So turns out that video is not a hoax. It is John Roberts the White House corespondent for Fox News and New York Times photographer Doug Mills.

They claim the whole thing is just a joke. I guess that’s really the only thing you could say. If a preliminary vaccine was available to those people around the President all the time none of us would be told, probably under threat of a national security violation. No one is claiming it’s not real though. AP has already run a story on it as have others.

John Roberts has dismissed it as a joke. But listen to it and make up your own mind. If it’s a joke it sure doesn’t sound like it. In poor taste As well all things considered.  The study he cited In the recording is real I have no reason to think the rest is not.

Guess we get to file this in the “The peasants will never know for sure” right next to “Epstein definitely, for super sure killed himself so stop asking”

Sorry but this video is utterly classic trolling in my opinion.

That doesn't mean I can tell you who the troll is Wink.

The mix of truth (the two California studies are true, as far as I can see) and fiction, whether joke or otherwise, about people in the White House being vaccinated, is Propaganda 101.

So, apparently, we have an infection with a quiet low infection fatality rate (ie. why worry about it?), conjoined with the conspiracy-style 'the leaders are all vaccinated and safe against this'.

I find it hard to believe any administration (even this one!) would decide to inoculate themselves with an untried vaccine. Then, we start thinking of reasons why they would have a safe vaccine, and down the rabbit hole we go.  Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)