Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Coronavirus (Read 33233 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Coronavirus
Reply #120 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:04am

I’m so sorry to hear about your wife’s friend, Morphy. That’s awful.
I’m afraid we are going to hear a lot more stories like that in the next few weeks, too. It’s heartbreaking.

I’m mostly worried about my parents and grandparents. My parents are mid 60’s and haven’t been taking quarantine seriously. They could easily get it, and that’s bad enough, but my grandfather is so old that the hospital probably won’t bother with ventilators... and my parents, who aren’t staying quarantined, are the ones who drop in and check on him regularly.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #121 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 11:38pm

Though there are some exceptions people for the most part here in New Jersey seem to be sticking to the quarantine.  In one local township the police broke up two weddings in one day.  My brother died a week or so ago and he doesn't get a funeral because of this.  I had to go shopping two days ago.  The streets were fairly empty.  Roomy Mike works in a hospital so he has all of the latest info.  Sometimes I wish he didn't.  This is a humongous turd sandwich.   I'm sixty five and have never seen anything like this in my life.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #122 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 3:18am

So sorry to hear about your brother Rat Man. I really hope this whole situation will be over soon. I know the economic impact is going to be for the long term but at least if the restrictions can soon be relaxed, it will be that bit easier to breathe.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #123 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 1:22pm

Effects are now being seen on our little care ward. We still haven't seen any cases but we're running low on gloves and haven't been able to get more in. New rules on hand sanitizer have come in and, surprisingly, what's been running low is the pump bottles. We now have to keep them, wash them and then refill them from the large refill containers. I've heard that some of the big hospitals are starting to run low on PPE which is... scary. The numbers are still looking pretty good and it does seem the measures are working. I think really they should go further, a full, proper lockdown. There are still a few too many people on the buses for my liking.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #124 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:06pm

slingbadger wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:00am:
I have a friend in the Navy that was just diagnosed. He's on a carrier now quarantined off Guam. There are no isolation facilities on the ships, and the hospital ships are not going to be used. They are totally unprepared for this.

Just got word the Captain of the ship sent personal messages to congress and the President asking for what they need to fight the virus. they were turned down.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #125 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:23pm

And here we go: 1 Mio. confirmed cases worldwide.  Cry

On the bright side: The number of new cases in Switzerland is hovering more or less at a stable level since ~20.3. The measures seem to work somewhat. Still no curfew. But the government made it quite clear that if people would go to their summerhouses over easter, that there will be "further measures".

I have heard of one or two shops, which opened again, after the complete staff recovered from the infection.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #126 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 6:47am

slingbadger wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:06pm:
slingbadger wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:00am:
I have a friend in the Navy that was just diagnosed. He's on a carrier now quarantined off Guam. There are no isolation facilities on the ships, and the hospital ships are not going to be used. They are totally unprepared for this.

Just got word the Captain of the ship sent personal messages to congress and the President asking for what they need to fight the virus. they were turned down.

And now the Captain is fired for trying to protect the men.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #127 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 7:51am

If you read past the headlines, there’s a little more nuance to the story.  The captain was relieved of duty for leaking information about the ship’s degraded capabilities due to the virus outbreak and for causing a panic stateside with the families who can’t do anything about it. They commended him for trying to protect the sailors but fired him for doing it the wrong way. His public cry for help undermined the ship’s deterrence mission by giving too many details and alerting our enemies to the fact that the ship cannot continue to function at full capacity.  That’s a big no-no!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #128 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 2:09pm

As most of  you know, I'm 65.  There has been nothing like this in my lifetime or even my parents'.  You have to go all the way back to WWI and the Spanish Flu to find something equivalent to this.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #129 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 2:44pm

Just pulled a 14 hour shift. Nothing compared to a lot of the amazing people that are working on the front line, but it shows it's affecting even the small places like us. They couldn't find anyone to cover the evening shift so I did both morning and evening, 7 - 21. I'm in awe of the nurses and doctors fighting this virus.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #130 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 7:27pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020 at 7:51am:
If you read past the headlines, there’s a little more nuance to the story.  The captain was relieved of duty for leaking information about the ship’s degraded capabilities due to the virus outbreak and for causing a panic stateside with the families who can’t do anything about it. They commended him for trying to protect the sailors but fired him for doing it the wrong way. His public cry for help undermined the ship’s deterrence mission by giving too many details and alerting our enemies to the fact that the ship cannot continue to function at full capacity.  That’s a big no-no!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1246071103191224322
Cpt. Crozier will be reinstated the instant Biden is sworn in.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1933881

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #131 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 12:55am

Well Rat Man... politics is politics, Corona Virus is Corona Virus, and OPSEC is OPSEC. In this case all three tautologies meet in a single story!

The daily koz is far from an unbiased source. Here’s a more fair-minded, fact-based, and non-political take on the story:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32871/navy-sacks-carrier-captain-pulls-ano...

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2020 at 9:34pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #132 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 4:35am

Look at what happened the last single month and how fast things are going now.
Now imagine 3-5 months from now.

Things will not return to normal any times soon. The world may never be like we were used to after this.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #133 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 5:34am

As of yesterday,  we had our 1st case confirmed in the town where i work, there is also 1 unconfirmed case as well. Since i work in a grocery store,  thats the new hang out for people who get bored. I see most of the same people in the store almost daily.  I see the carts full of food. I am curious if most of these people binge eat out of boredom.  I know some do. Maine isnt known for its fitness, its the opposite.  So we shall see how this goes.  Some humor,  i am hoping for some extra vacation time, i have plenty to do so bordom for me isnt an issue. Never ending chores, and its still getting below freezing, we still have the woodstove going.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #134 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 8:13am

Be careful out there vet. A week after our first case, we had about 10, and now we have hundreds. It escalated really quickly.

I may break out the old 3D printer and try making NIH-approved face shields this weekend.

There are a lot of designs floating around, but these have been tested and approved by the medical community:

https://3dprint.nih.gov/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)