Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Problems with slings (Read 4730 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Problems with slings
Feb 7th, 2020 at 5:35pm

I’m curious... what are your biggest frustrations with the sling?
Let’s get the obvious big one out of the way: for the same amount of practice, accuracy is poor compared to something like a bow, a slingshot, or a rifle.

What other things annoy you or frustrate you about slings?

I have my own opinions, but I want to hear what others say before I chime in with my own list.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Problems with slings
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 5:45pm

My biggest one is probably cords getting tangled up while braiding.  Although I recently made an adjustment to how I set things up, so it's not nearly as big a problem as it was.

Regarding usage, if you get the release cords a little too long, the sling will let you know with a little crack on the hand every time you throw.  Some cordage types seems to be much worse with this than others.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 6:41pm

Interesting topic.

1)Rate of fire:  the fact that you put your whole body into motion to perform a powerful throw adds time to reloading and resetting for the next shot.

2)Too many variables that we cannot isolate easily so that we can analyse get feedback and improve upon.

for example ideal sling length : is there ideal sling length for a slinger?(can't realy test because of being used to sling with a given length) does the style change w/ sling length? should it change? is there an ideal style for human mechanics? what is efficient what is effective? which styles/slings are more accurate/consistent yet powerful?
habit and skill will blur the results of experiments.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 10:46pm

Other than the obvious I think they’re great, not many complaints from me.
A few minor ones would be
Difference in opinion between slingers on names of throwing styles.
Super smooth spheres in split pouches.
Lots of movement to start the shot, bad in close range hunting.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 1:33am

I agree with all of thethe above but I think the difficulty in maintaining consistency in shots is the biggest problem, related to what Sarosh has said. It's difficult to know what to change or adjust of you feel like you're doing the same movement each time with a big variance in where the ammo goes. It's never going to be like firing a gun although it can be argued that this is a plus. You will always have the drive to get those perfect shots because they are that much rarer (for most of us hobby slingers at least Cheesy). The recent video I put up was so satisfying. Completely unedited from turning on the camera to turning it off, one throw, one perfect hit. Getting that, despite it being surrounded by misses, made going out there worthwhile.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 7:46am

3) We can shoot further than we can see + combined with inconsistency=> we can't get immediate feedback on long range shots.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 9:38am

That's a good point too. The only reason I know I've thrown 190m is that I was throwing on a frozen lake that had a very thin layer of snow on it so the stones were easy to find.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 10:21am

General lack of interest in slinging amongst most people.  I'm so jealous of slingers that have other slingers nearby (meaning close enough to get together).  I've had several of my friends try slinging.  It was a good time for them, but nothing they would do on their own, or suggest as an activity we do together.

I think that's why I like the Online Challenges topic so much.  Keeps me engaged. Wink

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 11:05am

What joe said, this also means accessibility issues I'm lucky I can sling where I sling . I constantly look for an alternative range

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:41pm

This is one of the reasons I'm so looking forward to the international competition. It will be the first time I actually will get to sling with other people. A few friends and family have tried a few swings and said "That seems quite difficult" and never wanted anything to do with it again.

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:59pm

Slinging like a pro one day and being awfull the next one, without knowing why.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 2:00pm

Retrieving a lead glans. Tennis balls, rusty balls or even stones are somewhat findable. A lead glans, once it's shot, it's usually gone forever.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 6:56pm

Mersa wrote on Feb 7th, 2020 at 10:46pm:
Other than the obvious I think they’re great, not many complaints from me.

100% agree. Focus should not be on the negative aspects, but I started this thread to think about ways to make slinging even better.

Here’s a couple of mine:
It’s hard to shove a sling in a pocket without creating a tangled mess unless you carefully wind the cords first and then you have to unwind them to use it.

The release cord whips things in front of you and can wrap around tree branches.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:42pm

Trying to find the 'perfect' slinging method. Slinging has so much variation in technique which is both a blessing and a curse...
My criteria:
Powerful (both short and long range), accurate (with different weighted stones), takes up little room, quick to load and shoot, easy to learn, and preferably uses only one hand. Such a method does not seem to exist...

I have tried and practised with every method I can find or read, and I have narrowed it down to my favorites: Balearic, the 'Whip' technique, and the two-hand behind the back overhand (something I came up with by trial and error).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 2:24am

Archaic Arms wrote on Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:42pm:
Trying to find the 'perfect' slinging method. Slinging has so much variation in technique which is both a blessing and a curse...
My criteria:
Powerful (both short and long range), accurate (with different weighted stones), takes up little room, quick to load and shoot, easy to learn, and preferably uses only one hand. Such a method does not seem to exist...

I have tried and practised with every method I can find or read, and I have narrowed it down to my favorites: Balearic, the 'Whip' technique, and the two-hand behind the back overhand (something I came up with by trial and error).

That last one is the Turkey Throw! RS would be proud.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)