Send Topic Print
Problems with slings (Read 4781 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: Problems with slings
Reply #30 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 12:48pm

Samuel wrote on Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:59pm:
Slinging like a pro one day and being awfull the next one, without knowing why.

too relatable

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #31 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 1:06pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 3rd, 2020 at 12:48pm:
Samuel wrote on Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:59pm:
Slinging like a pro one day and being awfull the next one, without knowing why.

too relatable

Second day of the contest using stones: 2 points, 0 dianas in two rounds (10 stones).
Third day with tennis balls: 4 points and a diana in one round (5 balls, no misses at all).

For the second day, I was using helicopter which I've practicing a lot recently particularly with stones.
For the third day, I was using Greek style that I haven't practiced a lot at all and barely ever with tennis balls.

*Shrugs*

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #32 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 8:13am

Often this problem comes up when I overthink my throw. If I go to great lengths at pondering what I am doing wrong and try to correct it, it will ONLY be worse. Then I will ponder more and more in an attempt to correct it, it will be worse and worse, like an evil circle.

The solution: have an overall idea of how you throw, then let go of all your thoughts and FEEL your throw.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #33 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 8:31am

Christian, throughout the competition, took a long time to go into his throw compared to a lot of the other competitors. He was doing fig 8 and would wait a few seconds before each shot with the pouch held out and then would still do really well and hit the target very consistently. It was crazy to see because I know if I paused for that long I would overthink it and flub it entirely. I asked him about it and he said he was actually counting a certain number of breathes before each throw which was really interesting. I might have to try that out, focusing on breathing not the throw. I know a few times I was really tense and it was when I relaxed I did well. There's a video of me getting a diana which was just after Jaegoor told me to relax Cheesy It's certainly important to avoid tension.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #34 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 8:58am

I didn't get my tension away, which had a significant negative impact on my result.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #35 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 6:05pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:37am:
About legislation.
In France, like all the 27, the legislation today is european.
To have a sling is legal but slinging in a public place is prohibited.
Hunting with a bow is legal if you are a licence. Not for sling.

Salut Tombelaine, ça m'intéresse ce que tu annonces là, tu peux mettre un lien vers la législation ? la dernière fois que j'ai regardé, nos frondes ne rentraient pas dans le cadre législatif des armes.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #36 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:35pm

Salut Caldou and the others members.

1) définition d'une arme :

Article R311-1 modifié par Décret n°2018-1195 du 20 décembre 2018 - art. 25
" On entend par :

I.-Armes par nature et munitions

2° Arme : tout objet ou dispositif conçu ou destiné par nature à tuer, blesser, frapper, neutraliser ou à provoquer une incapacité ; "

2) Armes de catégorie D :

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2248

3) Chasse :

http://www.oncfs.gouv.fr/Fiches-juridiques-chasse-ru377/Chasse-a-l-arc-une-prati...

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #37 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:39pm

Peut-être n'ai-je pas tout bien compris ; et peut-être as-tu une lecture différente ? En tout cas, elle est la bienvenue.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:59pm

I think a sling is not a category D weapon as long as there is no projectile in the pouch.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #39 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 7:48pm

The trick is WHAT you sling. Hard ammo is prohibited in public, but try slinging tennis or golf balls and you can say it's a sport.
How can we find the "mouth" of a sling, to calculate it's "energy at mouth" ? I'm pretty sure tennis balls are crappy ammo from a power stand point.

Edit : without ammo, a sling is a strap, a belt or whatever you want :p You can even use it as a coat hanger to free your hands Wink

La pierre d'achoppement est le projectile. Tirer des balles en terre, du plomb ou des caillasses est interdit en public en effet. Merci de me l'apprendre, je tâcherai de ne pas me faire prendre la prochaine fois que je tente de remplir l'étang d'à côté.

Mais des balles de golf ou de tennis devraient passer non ? comment on trouve la bouche d'une fronde ? Pour calculer l'énergie à la bouche Smiley

Note : only bilingual people will be able to follow my way of thinking... good luck, i even lost myself, too late for me now :p

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #40 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 6:26am

Not agree with Sarosh, a sling is a weapon in the french law.

Sinon, je m'entraine à l'aube sur une grande plage déserte pour des raisons de sécurité ; si quelqu'un vient, je le vois de loin.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #41 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 6:32am

out of curiosity are there any golfers here?
what makes a golf club legal?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #42 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 1:26pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 14th, 2020 at 6:32am:
out of curiosity are there any golfers here?
what makes a golf club legal?

What makes anything a weapon is intent. Baseball bats, hockey sticks, golf clubs... if you intend to hit a person... it’s a weapon. If you modify it to not be used for sports (like adding spikes), then that’s clear intent. If you are nowhere near an ice rink... it could be argued that a hockey stick is a weapon based on the fact that there’s no other reason to carry on around town... etc.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #43 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 3:03pm

It's actually the same as a bow. I considered this when I was thinking of taking up archery. If you have a club you're on the way to, have your bow disassembled and packed away then you could well get away with walking straight through a town centre with one.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2020 at 1:51pm by Kick »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 3:57pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 14th, 2020 at 1:26pm:
What makes anything a weapon is intent.

regarding most stuff sticks, clubs, ropes, chains, knives and probably slings, that's how I understand it too. But there are exceptions e.g. the law states that you can either have a bow for hunting or for sport. If you have it for hunting then there are certain licenses that you should apply for, if it's for sport you should have an athlete's ID and be a member of an archery club, there is no in between, without the right documents it's an illegal weapon and is treated no differently than a shotgun no matter if used/owned/carried in public or private land.
Slingshots are completely illegal even though they are sold and used like in every other part of the world.

So as in the bow situation maybe there is needed athlete's ID for having a golf club too.. or the golf club is in the category " If it's used with the intent to harm, it's a weapon" which probably is but you never know in EU.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris)