Problems with slings (Read 4731 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Problems with slings
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 4:36am

Hello,
French legislation is bad. I think I am outlaw when I sling.
Yet, I sling absolutely alone !

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 7:19am

The legal grey area slings are in isn't good. I understand the argument that it's good it's ignored and goes under the radar but on the other hand it means I could be arrested just because the officer I encounter THINKS it's illegal. Of course, the same thing can happen when carrying legal knives and guns, but I think slings, because they are relatively unknown but can be quickly understood to be at least harmful, are more likely I would guess to gain the attention of someone that doesn't like the idea one bit.

I'm still not entirely sure on the legality of the sling in Finland. Timpa might be able to help with that. Most of the relevant laws haven't been translated into English.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:10am

Probably just that it's not widespread. It would be really cool if it was as big in the UK as in the Balearics and there were competitions and events for it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:27am

Kick wrote on Feb 9th, 2020 at 2:24am:
That last one is the Turkey Throw! RS would be proud.

LOL! Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:09pm

Ammo- some perfect places don't have smooth slingable stones

@
Kick
@
TOMBELAINE

On the legality of the sling: it's like the stick(unless there is special law regulating it) , it can be used in many ways walking stick / bo staff/ back scratcher, it's use is not regulated until you become violent with it, the grey area exists only in the minds of law enforcement officers or other paranoid citizens. You can't grow if you are afraid of everything.

The police officer can make your life miserable just because you spoke different language...

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 4:37pm

i agree with the frustration of not getting pin point accuracy  but i believe the objective is to get it as close as one can.  The bullseye is just for bragging rights ..there are no sights on a sling , so it is our body and mind doing their own thing ..at my age ( 74) i am happy that my body does anything .

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 9:35pm

Eudave wrote on Feb 11th, 2020 at 4:37pm:
i agree with the frustration of not getting pin point accuracy  but i believe the objective is to get it as close as one can.  The bullseye is just for bragging rights ..there are no sights on a sling , so it is our body and mind doing their own thing ..at my age ( 74) i am happy that my body does anything .

LOL

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 7:18am

Man kann richtig Zielen mit der sling. Ich habe es hier schon ein paar mal erklärt. 😁
Das Zielen funktioniert nur etwas anders.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 1:47pm

on the legality of the sling again...
this is the law in my country. :

1. For the purposes of this Law:
"a. Weapon is any machine which, by manufacture, modification, with any propulsion produced in any way, launches a projectile, harmful chemicals or other substances, rays or flames or gases and may cause injury or damage to health or damage to things or cause a fire, and any device, that may in any way cause the above effects. The concept of a weapon includes any firearm and in particular war rifles, machine guns, submachine guns, pistols, handguns, rocket-propelled grenades, heavy weapons, artillery and straight or curved orbits, as well as grenades and mines of any kind.

2. Weapons are also considered to be objects suitable for attack or defense, in particular:
c. Metal punches, metal or non-metal bats, and bats connected with chains or rope.

possession of any weapon is illegal unless you get a permission/ license from local PD (for the particular weapon)

exceptions: most knives for most purposes in home or nature, airguns(18+) and bows(for athletes)

1. the sling is not a weapon because it doesn't propulse a projectile. the muscles offer the propulsion sling is an extension.
2. sling is not by itself an object suitable for attack or defense, a stone or projectile is.

so legally sling is not a weapon, but at the same time a stick, nunchucks, garotte, a stone, an atlatl(even without the dart) are weapons prohibited by the law (unless you get a permission).

sticks and stones of course are used by anyone and the context matters more than the law.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 2:36pm

In most cases it comes down to people's perception of the sling I think. Just yesterday I was slinging in my, usual spot and an older lady came over to ask what I was doing. I explained I was using a sling and she then asked what I was throwing. I started to worry a bit because I had used up all the maybe slightly less scary ice balls and had now moved onto the maybe scarier stones. Was she going to freak out and think I was some dangerous hoodlum? Was she going to call the police?

Well, she didn't. She was actually very curious and enthusiastic. Of course David and Goliath came up and she then asked if slinging was some new young person trend Grin I said it was just a hobby I had taken up. She then even asked me to demonstrate for her. I missed all three shots but she was still impressed (luckily I had already said it was very difficult...) and wished me luck in my practice. It really could have gone either way I think, but I think most regular people will be ok with it. There isn't much you can do about those people that will just freak out at the sight of a sling, but as long you explain what you're doing and take all the safety precautions you can, they will at least have less to complain about.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 3:35pm

I've never had anyone freak out and i often wear a hood and facemask, I remove them when they approach me , I'm sure it spooks them out a little Tongue I think the constant whipping sound is more provocative than the view of me slinging.

Oh, so this is another problem with the sling: sound,
it is enjoyable by the slinger but there are some good reasons to silence a sling.(hunting, less provoking)

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:18pm

My sling is pretty silent, not completely but in comparison to one I received in the sith with a cracker, that thing demands attention and even though I’m much more accurate with my sling the cracker makes it sound more dangerous.
I agree that the sling itself is not a weapon, if all you throw is tennis balls you’re going to be just as bad with a good tennis serve and a racquet. I’m my opinion it only becomes a weapon when used as a weapon. Even throwing lead in a suitable situation it’s sporting equipment.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 6:44am

Mersa wrote on Feb 26th, 2020 at 5:18pm:
My sling is pretty silent

remind me what kind of release knot do you use?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 7:56am

A very tight fisherman. Well worn and well waxed

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #29 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 11:37am

About legislation.
In France, like all the 27, the legislation today is european.
To have a sling is legal but slinging in a public place is prohibited.
Hunting with a bow is legal if you are a licence. Not for sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)