Send Topic Print
Ice vs. Pallet (Read 1644 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Ice vs. Pallet
Jan 19th, 2020 at 12:30pm

Here's the follow up video to my trash sling entry.  I finally got around to cutting up the video taken after my trash sling broke.  This is one of my hemp/linen slings.  Basically some ice balls being smashed against a pallet. Cheesy

https://youtu.be/uHQBpM0MB3c

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Ice vs. Pallet
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:43pm

Nice shots! I really need to get out and do some slinging practice, especially now I'm going to the international. If I could achieve the accuracy you have here at the competition, I'll be very happy Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:53pm

Agreed... some pretty good slinging.  For some reason I have a more difficult time with low targets like that.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:56pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:53pm:
   Agreed... some pretty good slinging.  For some reason I have a more difficult time with low targets like that. 

I've only ever had low targets now that I think about it. Despite Finland having a hell of a lot of trees, I haven't had anywhere where they are placed in such a way that a hanging target could be set up.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 3:46pm

Thanks guys!  I'm pretty used to targets being close to the ground.  But I can adjust pretty quickly.  It usually takes me 3 or 4 throws to get things dialed in.  But since I use a sidearm release, it's usually to the left or right when I miss.

Kick wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 1:43pm:
If I could achieve the accuracy you have here at the competition, I'll be very happy Cheesy

I totally agree with that.  I'm pretty sure if I'm ever in a tournament I'll just be thinking, "PLEEEASE just let me hit the target once!!". Grin

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 3:51pm

A good video!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:18pm

Thanks timpa!  I'm not as good as you at smashing things yet, but I'm working on it. Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 4:41am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 20th, 2020 at 3:46pm:
But since I use a sidearm release, it's usually to the left or right when I miss.

I finally got to go out and practice yesterday with ice balls (everything aches...) and I was doing real bad with sidearm. I wanted to work on it for the competition just because when in Rome... I consistently went really far to the right with my throws. Highly annoying. I then switched up a few times to fig 8 and they kept going left! Even more annoying! Good thing I still have some time to practice before the competition...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 10:18am

@Kick - I'm not sure.  Most of my misses are to the left.  It's usually when I get my hips and shoulders turned around too much.  At least that's what it feels like during the throw.  Also when I try to over power a throw and just end up releasing too late.

Maybe the next time you go out for some practice, take some video.  Someone here might see something that could be causing the early release with the sidearm technique.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 3:31pm

I realyl want to get video but it's a lot of stuff to carry and the weather has been super unpredictable. I'm freezing up some more ice balls and it might actually get cold enough for all the mud to freeze and I'll be able to take tennis balls out. Hopefully I'll get video soon. I do have this video from 2018 but I feel I'm not as stiff now as I used to be so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEwczTY_wLo

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 10:39am

I was recently using my pallet again as part of the target for the Egg Challenge.  It made it through breaking the egg with no issues, but afterward I still had quite a few ice balls left.  So it took a few more hits and one of the boards was broken.  Here are some pictures.

It's a given now.  I'm just going to smash this pallet apart one piece at a time. Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 12:20pm

Smashing targets is always so satisfying Cheesy I can pinpoint the exact moment I fell in love with slinging. I think it was my second or third throw, a super early one at at least, and the small wooden plank I was using as a target got hit directly, shattered into two pieces and went flying in two different directions. I've been chasing that high ever since. I think I've broken 4 wooden targets beyond repair at this point. The metal pan is putting up a lot of resistance but I'm slowly inverting it Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)