Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Sling hunting? (Read 19513 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Sling hunting?
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:00am

I think the general conclusion is that hunting is possible, but ethical hunting is not possible for the casual slinger who is lucky to hit an animal at all.  You need a reliable shot placement that results in a fast, clean kill. That deer in the video above, for example, suffered a lot and ran a long distance before it died. That’s not acceptable when there are better options that result in less suffering.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:30am

never hunted... I wouldn't judge the way or the tool . A supersonic bullet is not giving a chance for the animal to react, isn't it unethical?  He shot the animal for fun not for survival his purpose is unethical not the tool he used or the way he did it.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:48am

Sarosh wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:30am:
A supersonic bullet is not giving a chance for the animal to react, isn't it unethical?

This is a very interesting question. I've seen some hunting videos where people set up a hide right next to a watering hole then wait for a wild pig to come up to drink and shoot it near point blank with a bow. This wasn't for food but for trophy hunting and... I don't get it. Obviously there is some skill required even in those "ideal" conditions but it's not quite the same as stalking through brush for half a day and having to take the shot whilst cramped into a clump of plants. I don't think I would feel very accomplished if I killed an animal like that especially if it was just so I could say I've done it. At least with a bow I guess there is that extra layer of skill required.

I know for myself, I do not have the skills to hunt with a sling (let alone any other weapons) and I doubt I would ever have the motivation to hunt with a sling. As has been talked about before, a sling is one of the last weapons I would think to make in a survival situation (in most conditions, plentiful water fowl is one situation that a sling could be useful in for food). It's definitely going to come up as a subject again, but for me, hunting cardboard and wooden and metal targets is more my speed.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:59am

I have never killed an animal for food or sport either, but I am not opposed to the idea if it’s done right. There are definitely non-food reasons to kill pigs. They breed fast, and can wreak havoc on a local ecosystem for example. The ethics I am referring to are this: if you have a good reason to kill the animal, you should do it in a way that minimizes the animal’s suffering. I am not trying to debate whether the animal should be killed or not. That’s a separate question. By definition...if you are hunting, you already plan to kill an animal.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 12:40pm

Then I would say anything can be used . Something dead doesn't care how it died it's dead.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 1:36pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:59am:
I have never killed an animal for food or sport either, but I am not opposed to the idea if it’s done right. There are definitely non-food reasons to kill pigs. They breed fast, and can wreak havoc on a local ecosystem for example. The ethics I am referring to are this: if you have a good reason to kill the animal, you should do it in a way that minimizes the animal’s suffering. I am not trying to debate whether the animal should be killed or not. That’s a separate question. By definition...if you are hunting, you already plan to kill an animal.

That's a good point. I had only considered food and trophy hunting. If it's population control then yeah most effective is best. Whether animals should be hunted at all is a separate question for sure.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 7:42pm

There are a few different things that's make the sling an effective tool and an ineffective tool.

1. The sling is a tool , the glande is the weapon, you can throw a tennis ball and you will likely never kill anything or you could throw a lead glande and potentially kill a lot of things. Just like a bow the arrow is the weapon and a sharp broadhead will always outperform a field point.

2. Accuracy , we all agree that being accurate is a long hard feat when comparing a sling to a gun but and inaccurate shooter on a gun could also make poor shots, just because it is difficult to master does not mean it's not possible, people have hunted with many things throughout history that require a level of skill to be accurate.

3. Distance, I think this part gets overlooked when comparing the sling as a hunting weapon, a sling is very captive of conserving energy over distance I would argue it's even more so than some bow/arrow combinations so the hunting part may be easier with a sling if your able to make shots at a longer distance, stalking up close to an animal is part of hunting and it's possible that you never get within an accurate range.

4. Animal hunted, now I'm not saying that the sling can't kill large game but it is defiantly more suited to smaller animals and birds. I think given the potential stopping power it could kill a large number of game on the planet however as the animals get larger the target becomes more and more focused on a brain injury.

5. Noise, now the sling can vary in sound but a smoot projectile is almost silent, at a certain distance it would be very hard for some animals to know where the danger comes from, this may allow for multiple shots.

6. Cost, now this is more based on a survival situation than sport hunting but there is a large benifit in ammo being almost free if using rocks, no need to spend time searching for lost ammo or building new stuff, it's literally just on the ground and a large variety of stones can be used.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 8:45am

As I see it, the sling would be more of an opportunistic hunting weapon used by lower classes throughout history. I don’t mean that it was never used as a main hunting weapon, but at least since Neolithic, I think that (aside from war) has been mostly used as a tool/weapon in contexts that hunting was not the main source of food. A shepherd carrying a sling would have endless hours in the wild and plenty of chances to throw stones to birds and small animals. As the sling and ammo are virtually free, time is not a problem and the main economic activity is herding, even if less than 1/100 of your stones land on a target it would be worthy. I would say that this is also a reason for the sling to be so common in herder societies (along with its use as a tool for guiding animals and defence).
Same for kids guarding fields or the like. Actually, I’ve seen children in developing countries using slingshots for hunting birds for food while doing other activities. Thus, I see sling hunting as the same “opportunistic” activity.
In modern western societies we tend to focus in one activity; if you go hunting, you go hunting. But in other times and places if you were/are, let say, going to find your lost goat in the woods and had/have the chance to get even a small bird or so you don’t miss the opportunity.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 2:25pm

Even if you can’t get a clean kill... as a tool for hunting, a sling can still be useful to flush out an animal and keep it moving in the direction you want it to go.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 6:12pm

Clean kills are a modern ideal. I think if you went back a few hundred years clean kills are a rarity.
I hunt and fish and the reality is that the ideal situation and shot rarely happen . Even with fishing you capture wrong species, although some people have a idea in there head of a clean kill it can be a perfect shot and the animal is just tough and doesn't die as quick or as graceful as you expect , modern hunting tools make clean kills easier but still there are messy ones, I think it's more the responsibility after before and after a bad shot that make it more humane. Some outdoorsmen and hunters on here will have the same experiences.

Again for the sling , if we assume that a shot is accurate we know the sling is capible of hunting, it's really only the doubt of accuracy that makes it seem less effective.
People hunt with hand thrown sticks and stones and the sling can throw a similar weight alot faster.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:00pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YS8FEcbH4
watch frame by frame to see the rock , it's not very clear.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 6:35pm

I’m assuming this is a hand thrown rock??
But still it shows that a headshot is a knockout hit if not lethal.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:49am

My friend asked me just yesterday if a sling is actually dangerous. I told him about the Roman tongs for removing glandes and showed him a picture of my busted up frying pan target. Showing him this video and saying "Imagine that rock was going at least twice as fast" would have been just as good.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 10:17pm

Sarosh wrote on Jan 29th, 2020 at 5:00pm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YS8FEcbH4
watch frame by frame to see the rock , it's not very clear.

That’s about right. Those pigs are everywhere in Texas, and they’re dangerous! That guy was really lucky.  Sling or no sling, I would prefer a shotgun or a .357 in that situation.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #29 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 5:33am

Yeah pigs are underestimated!
Most people don’t even understand how abundant they are in the Australian bush.
I personally think their the scariest critter on land in Australia.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)