Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The trash sling challenge! (Read 9565 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: The trash sling challenge!
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 1:00pm

Though I no longer have either, several times while on my Husky walking/slinging adventures I forgot to bring a sling.      
    On one occasion we walked to a quarry lake that was surrounded by yellow police crime scene tape because there had been a recent drowning there.  I made an Appu Sling from the tape.  It slung some egg sized stones for ten or fifteen minutes before it stretched too much to be of use.
     Another time when I had forgotten a sling we walked past a pile of trash.  Included in the trash was an old TV.  I pulled the electric cord from the back of the TV, split it, and made another Appu Sling from it.  This sling was durable and worked surprisingly well. 
     I have made many other slings of opportunity from  pieces of rope or twine I've found, pieces of cloth, trash bags, etc..
    Good post. 

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 5:05am

MC gyver erlegte einen böse  Russen mit einem Stück Tuch, welches er zu einer Sling umfunktioniert.  Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 10:25pm

Here’s a little sling preview for the trash sling challenge. I am editing the slinging video that goes with it tonight. Obviously I can’t win my own competition, but I wanted to give others a little inspiration Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 9:24am

Great stuff!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #19 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 7:51pm

Just like everyone else, I don't have a video yet.  That should happen tomorrow.  But here's my sling and how it came to be.

The retention and release cords are made from the leg seams of a pair of blue jeans.  I dug out an old pair of jeans with way too many holes to be of further use.  The loop and pouch connections were put together with contact cement and reinforced with some extra pieces of hemp twine.  On a side note, I also got some material from the legs themselves that I'm going to turn in to sling pouches.

The pouch is made from two things.  The rings are plastic spacers that were originally used to separate rare earth magnets I bought a while ago.  I've been keeping them around trying to think of something to do with them.  The plastic rings are then tied together with some little pieces of hemp cordage.  That cordage was just excess which was cut off the end when I got done braiding a sling.  The pouch is kind of like a plastic and hemp "chainmail".

Hopefully I'll be able to get this thing out tomorrow for a test.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 11:47pm

Nice lookin trash sling Joe!
ok... here's my video:

https://youtu.be/N5yavFr1Oa8

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 6:00am

Leg seams! That's genius. I'll remember that one.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #22 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 6:08am

Great video! I feel I should have a second go where I get a bit more ingenious with it.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 9:53pm

This is my submission.
I guess it's not overly pretty and I could probally throw as far but hey it's trash and it's a sling.

EDIT: just realised I didn't follow the instructions , however it is very capable of throwing over 5 times , the videos are throws that are somewhat accurate, I can upload more if I need to provide more evidence but the throws are pathetic ha ha
Second fail is its only made from one material , a plastic bottle , I missed that I should combine materials but I did use a flame(stove top) to melt and stretch the "cords" ha ha.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2020 at 11:14pm by Mersa »  

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 11:51pm

Ha!  Mersa, that sling is definitely not going to win any beauty contests, but nice job!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:03am

Nice Mersa, that's a great idea!  Great videos so far guys!

Here's my entry.  I was also outside the rules slightly.  I don't actually have a tennis ball.  I'm using my street hockey balls which are of a similar size and weight.

https://youtu.be/WPxiGgaY77Q

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #26 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:14am

Nice work joe, great sling.
Always nice to see how accurate you are with your actual sling and iceball ammo.
Hope my SITH sling lands for you soon and you find a use for it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 10:09am

Thanks man!  I liked the sling, but it didn't work anywhere near as well as I was hoping.  Whose idea was it anyway to make slings out of junk. Wink
Definitely a fun experiment!

And on the SITH sling, I got it some time ago.  I'm pretty sure I had the first sling picture in the SITH topic.  If you missed your 'Thanks', open up page 6 and scroll down through.

I've already had it out, but the unfortunately the ammunition I was trying to use was a little too large (was not an ice ball Wink).  I've got an another idea and am looking forward to the next round with it. Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 9:04pm

Only a few weeks left. Any other competitors?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Mar 4th, 2020 at 10:30pm

Ok... here’s where we stand:
Kick made a sling, but hasn’t posted a throwing video yet (perhaps a little distracted by Mallorca Smiley )
Mersa made an excellent trash sling, but only used one material. Video evidence of the sling surviving multiple throws was good.
Joe Meadmaker used multiple materials in his construction and threw rocks instead of tennis balls. Since the point of tennis balls was to prove the sling could survive several throws, I am ok with replacing balls with rocks.

So far, Joe is the one to beat. I’ll post a photo of the prize sling soon in case anybody wants to sneak in and try to steal it from Joe Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)